Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle (BFFM)

Is anyone familiar with Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle created by Tom Venuto? I bought the ebook and have heard nothing but great things about it. It's not a fad diet it's a lifestyle and everything I've read so far makes sense. I'm just curious if anyone on MFP is following this plan, and if so how is it working for you?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I am a little familiar with him as I'm subscribed to his e newsletter. But not his book. I'd be interested on what someone has to say.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    I have read the book but need to read it more in depth, it's about nutrition and exercise and how to meal plan . I have incorporated it into my lifestyle and hope to do more of it as i am just about done losing weight. Tom is very insightful and has many good ideas, like anything its more about how much your willing to put into it.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    I like Venuto. I think I read his published book.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    I get the email newseletter.

This was one of his that didn't go down well here.

http://www.burnthefat.com/metabolic_damage.html
  • Jeebs71
    Jeebs71 Posts: 41
    Hey

Thanks for posting about this. After reading your post I Googled it and have now signed up for it and just downloaded the ebooks. I will start reading tonight and hopefully will see results in the 49 days.

Feel free to add me if you want to check progress with each other.

Cheers
    Julie
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I hate the idea of having to pay for information unless it's a book I want on my bookshelf.
  • ladyraven68
    I hate the idea of having to pay for information unless it's a book I want on my bookshelf.

the e-mails are free.
  • rosawash
    rosawash Posts: 26 Member
    It's alot of information to take in but it's very informative, and a good resource to refer back to time and time again. I'm planning on following the BFFM plan starting next week, and I will let you all know how it works for me. One thing I like about Tom is I notice he doesn't push taking a whole lot of different supplements and fat burners. He believes in getting results the hard earned way through eating unprocessed foods and working out which is how it should be.
  • rosawash
    rosawash Posts: 26 Member

You can get alot of free information just by subscribing to his newsletters which is free. The ebook is just more indepth with alot more information, but I've also gained alot of knowledge from reading his newsletters which lead me to eventually purchase the ebook.
  • mcarter99

Thanks for posting. I'm curious-- Which camp's feathers got ruffled? It seemed like a balanced, factual take on the starvation mode issue.
  • ladyraven68

Thanks for posting. I'm curious-- Which camp's feathers got ruffled? It seemed like a balanced, factual take on the starvation mode issue.

The one's that don't believe in it.

I do prefer the term adaptive thermogenesis, but it's a bt of a mouthful!

Edit:

Actually it was the metabolism boosting tips that caused the arguments too - the "eat lot's of small meals" etc.
  • ladyraven68
    is anyone here a member of his inner circle?

I want to read the article entitled - The New Rules of Cutting Calories: What is the "Real" Ideal Calorie Deficit? - but need to be subscribed.

https://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/login.cfm?hpage=449.cfm
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    I tried the plan and absolutely loved it!
  • mcarter99

I want to read the article entitled - The New Rules of Cutting Calories: What is the "Real" Ideal Calorie Deficit? - but need to be subscribed.

I'd like to read that, too, so I went hunting. I noticed on his site he has a pic of the International Journal of Obesity next to that article. I checked the college library and he's never been published in any journal that I can see. But he might've been referring to an article that was published in that journal.

http://www.abcarticledirectory.com/Article/3500-Calories--A-Pound-of-Fat-or-Six-Pounds-Of-Muscle-/84896

Here's Venuto's deficit recs from that one:

"You can still use the standard calorie formulas to figure out how much you should eat, and you can use a 500-1000 calorie per day deficit (below maintenance) as a generic guideline to figure where to set your calories to lose one or two pounds per week respectively (at least that works "on paper" anyway).

Even better however, you could use this info to fine tune your caloric deficit using a percentage method and also base your deficit on your starting body fat level, to get a much more personalized and effective approach:

15-20% below maintenance calories = conservative deficit

20-25% below maintenance calories = moderate deficit

25-30% below maintenance calories = aggressive deficit

31-40% below maintenance calories = very aggressive deficit (risky)

50%+ below maintenance calories = semi starvation/starvation (potentially dangerous and unhealthy)

(Note: According to exercise physiologists Katch & Mcardle, the average female between the ages of 23 and 50 has a maintenance level of about 2000-2100 calories per day and the average male about 2700-2900 calories per day)

Usually, we would suggest starting with a conservative deficit of around 15-20% below maintenance. Based on this research, however, we see that there can be a big difference between lean and overweight people in how many calories they can or should cut.

If you have very high body fat to begin with, the typical rule of thumb on calorie deficits may underestimate the deficit required to lose a pound. It may also be too conservative, and you can probably use a more aggressive deficit safely without as much worry about muscle loss or metabolic slowdown."
  • ladyraven68

I'd like to read that, too, so I went hunting. I noticed on his site he has a pic of the International Journal of Obesity next to that article. I checked the college library and he's never been published in any journal that I can see. But he might've been referring to an article that was published in that journal.

http://www.abcarticledirectory.com/Article/3500-Calories--A-Pound-of-Fat-or-Six-Pounds-Of-Muscle-/84896

Here's Venuto's deficit recs from that one:

"You can still use the standard calorie formulas to figure out how much you should eat, and you can use a 500-1000 calorie per day deficit (below maintenance) as a generic guideline to figure where to set your calories to lose one or two pounds per week respectively (at least that works "on paper" anyway).

Even better however, you could use this info to fine tune your caloric deficit using a percentage method and also base your deficit on your starting body fat level, to get a much more personalized and effective approach:

15-20% below maintenance calories = conservative deficit

20-25% below maintenance calories = moderate deficit

25-30% below maintenance calories = aggressive deficit

31-40% below maintenance calories = very aggressive deficit (risky)

50%+ below maintenance calories = semi starvation/starvation (potentially dangerous and unhealthy)

(Note: According to exercise physiologists Katch & Mcardle, the average female between the ages of 23 and 50 has a maintenance level of about 2000-2100 calories per day and the average male about 2700-2900 calories per day)

Usually, we would suggest starting with a conservative deficit of around 15-20% below maintenance. Based on this research, however, we see that there can be a big difference between lean and overweight people in how many calories they can or should cut.

If you have very high body fat to begin with, the typical rule of thumb on calorie deficits may underestimate the deficit required to lose a pound. It may also be too conservative, and you can probably use a more aggressive deficit safely without as much worry about muscle loss or metabolic slowdown."

Thanks - nothing new in there then.

I've read that one before as i remember laughing at the "dunces cap" reference. :laugh:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    It's simple.
    Eat nutritionally dense foods.
  • mcarter99
    I kind of like his idea of 50% or more below TDEE is where it gets potentially dangerous. That should remove people's fears about BMR, unless they're working out a ton.
  • AnotherJenn
    AnotherJenn Posts: 62 Member
    I was curious and thought I'd get a sample to the book from Amazon and it's not available...how has anyone gotten an ebook version of the book? Nook doesn't have it either.
  • mcarter99
    It's sold on his web site. It's not published. He does have some published books, though I don't see them in Kindle form. But your library might have them.

http://www.fitren.com/reviews/burnthefatreview.shtml