calories burned

I just joined a gym and went and worked out. I did 35 min on the bike and 35 on the elliptical on mfp shows cal. burned was507 on the elliptical.and the ellptical said 312 cal. On the stationary bike mfp said 394 and the bike said 200. What is right. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Haha I think guess lower rather than higher. However, My elliptical that I have at my house said I burn 14 cal in 20 min on it, so I don't see how that's even close to right.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    You wont REALLY know unless you get a heart rate monitor. For example, today MFP says I burned 563 calories doing 90 minutes of very brisk walking (4mph). My FitBit awarded me 416. But my HRM calculated 961 calories burned! The HRM is the MOST accurate of the 3 because it actually takes my heart rate into account. I'd suggest you invest in one. It turns out to be worth it for me (=
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Well. I did the elliptical and treadmill jog at home yesterday and the burn was similar on my HRM and the machines. My HRM caught up to the machines towards the end, which was crazy. I was really sweating then...LOL!

Its tough, cause you hate to buy a new HRM and have the same issues. I don't think my HRM is all that bad either.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    I already have a HRM, but at times it freaks out...not sure if its the sweat or something. I've looked online though to see what I'd purchase and still confused, because it looks like a lot of people have similar issues.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 476 Member
    Well I think my fitness pal takes into account your height and weight which will make a difference in calorie burn but I don't find either to be accurate. I wear my own hrm but even when I don't I adjust the calorie burn and take off 100 calories of what it says b/c it's usually closer to what I would actually burn. But that's just me, I'm short so I find that the numbers on the machines etc are way off...
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    MFP says to go with the number you got on the machine you worked out on. You can enter the numbers manually.
  • I find a discrepancy with the machine, fitness pal and my HRM. I think the HRM or fitness pal are the best to go with. The machines are not calculated by gender, height, or weight which all make a huge difference. Which ever you choose, just stick with it! Just keep moving! In the end it will pay off. You just gotta keep at it! Good job at just getting through the gym door:smile:
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Today I ran/walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill at the gym, it reads my Polar FT7 which has a chest strap and the heart rate on the machine and on HRM were the same throughout, I also put my weight and age into the machine. The machine said I burned like 240, my HRM said I burned 172. I go with the HRM.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    I just like to see the numbers so I have some kind of idea of what I'm doing. my HRM tells me less calories have been burned than the MFP calculator. MFP takes my height and weight into consideration. Even though I'm sweating like crazy and winded, my HRM will tell me that I've only burned 90 cals, when I've been going for half an hour, so I kinda keep an eye on both.
  • PIJOLAFLACA
    PIJOLAFLACA Posts: 6 Member
    I find in general MFP is generous with the calories burned so I always deduct..
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Both calculations are estimates but I use the machine's estimate over MFPs every time. The machine knows how much actual work you are doing, MFP does not. When in doubt, use the more conservative number. That way, if you error you error on the side of creating a larger deficit rather than a smaller one.
  • wooduck1964
    wooduck1964 Posts: 14 Member
    thanks everyone
  • wooduck1964
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Keep in mind that MFP has your height and weight so can come up with a calculation of calories burned. Exercise equipment doesn't always have that. So for people like me who don't have a HRM I always go by what MFP tells me. I also use a sports tracker for when I ride my bike (it runs off gps and tells your elevation, speed, etc) and I use a pedometer. (Both the pedometer and sports tracker asked my weight) I check what those say against MFP and they're pretty close. But I always always pick one source (MFP for me) and use that one every time. I figure it's best to be consistant no matter what.
  • wooduck1964
    thanks