Weight lifting and endurance exercise...

Options
AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
I completed my first half marathon this past May, and have already signed on for another one, plus some shorter runs. I am running one longer run per week and circuit training or interval training the other days. I would like to put on more muscle (that whole idea that more muscle helps to increase metabolism), but I also don't want to slow myself down by training fast twitch muscle when I should be training slow twitch to run 13 miles. Anyone have experience with this dilemma? I eat about 2000 calories a day unless I don't exercise--then I'm between 14 and 1600. My protein is about 85-115 grams a day (some as a supplemental shake).

I would appreciate any ideas. I was thinking if I lift heavy two days and do short runs or intervals on the days in between and then do a longer run on the other day with on day of rest this might work,..also I have about 20 more pounds to drop before I am at MY goal.

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've read that converting slow twitch to fast twitch usually require explosive movements with heavy resistance (e.g. olympic weight training). So don't worry about that. You will probably improve your running with a couple resistance training session a week. But unless you're a competitive athlete running for a living, who cares if the extra few pounds of muscles slow you down a bit?

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/806/Ten_Reasons_Why_Runners_Should_Include_Weight_Trai.aspx
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You cannot convert slow twitch fibers to high twitch fibers.

Plenty of people liff weights and train long distance, you just have to find the right balance for you.

As you suggested you could do 2 full body training workouts per week, this leaves you plenty of time for cardio.

It certainly wont slow you down.
  • IAmFranciscoB
    Options
    I completed my first half marathon this past May, and have already signed on for another one, plus some shorter runs. I am running one longer run per week and circuit training or interval training the other days. I would like to put on more muscle (that whole idea that more muscle helps to increase metabolism), but I also don't want to slow myself down by training fast twitch muscle when I should be training slow twitch to run 13 miles. Anyone have experience with this dilemma? I eat about 2000 calories a day unless I don't exercise--then I'm between 14 and 1600. My protein is about 85-115 grams a day (some as a supplemental shake).

I would appreciate any ideas. I was thinking if I lift heavy two days and do short runs or intervals on the days in between and then do a longer run on the other day with on day of rest this might work,..also I have about 20 more pounds to drop before I am at MY goal.

I'm in the same boat. I actually just posted something about it today. I finished my first full marathon in May, doing another in October, but along with the endurance training I am strength training to help increase speed and longevity during the race. I also don't want to get smaller than I am now. I was at 165 lbs when i started training and was at 155lbs at race time.

I train a lot with the TRX suspension trainer and also free weights with high reps. I also get at least one gram of protein per pound of body weight to keep myself from shrinking. 50% protein, 25% carb, 25% fat breakdown, but with running frequently you need those good carbs/starches. My diet is also gluten free.

I am again following a marathon training guide from runners world which sounds like is similar to what you might be running. I would suggest focusing on full body training with obvious key emphasis on back and legs since that is driving force for running.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have been an ultramarathoner for years and just started CrossFit 1.5 years ago. To be honest, the two sports do interfere with each other. I am often too sore from CrossFit to run as fast or as many miles as I would have in my running training otherwise.

However I'm okay with this because I am much much happier with my appearance now that I have a little more muscle in my upper body. And I feel like my fitness is more well-rounded for the long term than before, now that I am doing weight-bearing exercise for the benefit of my bones in the upper body, not just the lower body. Both of the above are more important to me than the slight reduction in running performance that the weightlifting may be causing.

On the other hand, there are also some benefits to the weights on my running. I believe the increased strength from doing lots of squats, for example, has made my quads more resistant to fatigue from downhill running at the end of a long run or race.

My compromise is weightlifting 2x/week and running 4-6x/week (versus the 6-8 times I used to do). I've been happy with my running performance, as well as my appearance and how I feel / energy levels, with this schedule.
  • AABru
    Options

I'm in the same boat. I actually just posted something about it today. I finished my first full marathon in May, doing another in October, but along with the endurance training I am strength training to help increase speed and longevity during the race. I also don't want to get smaller than I am now. I was at 165 lbs when i started training and was at 155lbs at race time.

I train a lot with the TRX suspension trainer and also free weights with high reps. I also get at least one gram of protein per pound of body weight to keep myself from shrinking. 50% protein, 25% carb, 25% fat breakdown, but with running frequently you need those good carbs/starches. My diet is also gluten free.

I am again following a marathon training guide from runners world which sounds like is similar to what you might be running. I would suggest focusing on full body training with obvious key emphasis on back and legs since that is driving force for running.
    I was thinking that I would focus on multiple joint movements and plyo...squats, deadlift, etc...congrats on finishing your first marathon!
  • AABru
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've read that converting slow twitch to fast twitch usually require explosive movements with heavy resistance (e.g. olympic weight training). So don't worry about that. You will probably improve your running with a couple resistance training session a week. But unless you're a competitive athlete running for a living, who cares if the extra few pounds of muscles slow you down a bit?

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/806/Ten_Reasons_Why_Runners_Should_Include_Weight_Trai.aspx

I will NEVER complain about a few pounds of muscle! :smile:
  • AABru
    Options
    I have been an ultramarathoner for years and just started CrossFit 1.5 years ago. To be honest, the two sports do interfere with each other. I am often too sore from CrossFit to run as fast or as many miles as I would have in my running training otherwise.

However I'm okay with this because I am much much happier with my appearance now that I have a little more muscle in my upper body. And I feel like my fitness is more well-rounded for the long term than before, now that I am doing weight-bearing exercise for the benefit of my bones in the upper body, not just the lower body. Both of the above are more important to me than the slight reduction in running performance that the weightlifting may be causing.

On the other hand, there are also some benefits to the weights on my running. I believe the increased strength from doing lots of squats, for example, has made my quads more resistant to fatigue from downhill running at the end of a long run or race.

My compromise is weightlifting 2x/week and running 4-6x/week (versus the 6-8 times I used to do). I've been happy with my running performance, as well as my appearance and how I feel / energy levels, with this schedule.
    This is helpful. I have never run more than 5 miles, so I am really just beginning. I'm glad to know that there will be rewards to the extra muscle mass--I was concerned that it would just impede my performance. And, like you, I am concerned about bone density and appearance as well. Thanks
  • AABru
    Options
    You cannot convert slow twitch fibers to high twitch fibers.

Plenty of people liff weights and train long distance, you just have to find the right balance for you.

As you suggested you could do 2 full body training workouts per week, this leaves you plenty of time for cardio.

It certainly wont slow you down.
    I understand that women have a higher percentage of fast twitch fiber (about 60% to men's 50%), and I want to make sure I'm not "wasting" my time doing exercises that may offset each other. I think you are right, I will have to work to find my personal balance. thanks.