MFP experts, I need your help- splurged big time!

Options
Hi guys, I know that splurges are bound to happen but all weekend I have totally blown it. We have family members in town and we love to get together and eat :laugh:
So, thinking I could get away with splurging since I ran 13 miles yesterday I ate and ate and ate.. and well, the scale is shocking today. So, what do I need to do? today is usually my rest day from exercise, can I get back on track tomorrow? I work out 6 days a week and always watch what I eat but it's amazing what 2 days of... um.... cake, homemade ice cream, hot dogs, (shall I continue?) will do to your weight, dang it!!!
gotta shed these lbs, advice please :flowerforyou:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hiya!! Looking great as usual!!

I see your ticker froggie ran right off your chart.........so I would not give it a 2nd thought.

It is likely the sodium in the processed foods holding tight to the fluids and your...ahem...insides are full of the stuff you ate for 2 days.

If it were me.........I would drink a lot of water with lemon/lime. Relax and eat healthy today. Get back on track with exercise tomorrow. If you feel like a walk or bike ride, so be it.

You are one of my MFP heroes!!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    We all go through those moments, unfortunately. :grumble: :grumble: I second arewethereyet. It happened to me not too long ago, "gained" about 4 lbs in 4 days and as soon as I got back on track I "lost" it, you guessed it, water retention. You look fantastic!!!!! I love your pugs! :flowerforyou:
  • jigs
    jigs Posts: 70
    Options
    Wow! You've lost 50 lbs over the past year!! Kudos to you. Relax today. You've made a lifestyle change and you'll be back to your 'normal' eating and exercise tomorrow.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    thank you girls so much. It made me feel horrible yesterday when someone said, "you're heading back down a slippery slope" It is hard for me to stop eating once I binge like that, but it happens very rarely now and I did enjoy every bite, just really didn't enjoy weighing today and I shouldn't have even got out the scale.

You guys are awesome and I'm so thankful to have you- you all understand and support because we are in this together. It just seems like the harder we try sometimes, when people do see us eating not so healthy the remarks kill me! Hugs to you all and happy Labor Day! Thank you for the advice, I need to drink more water today-

And Jeannie, I was hoping that you would respond because you are also one of my heroes and your advice means a lot to me!!! :flowerforyou:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I hear ya BIG time! My scale moved up 6 pounds in one week and I lost about a pound and a half this week of it. I'm so disappointed in myself that I didn't go to WW this week or LAST week. :-(

I put it down to stress - start of the new school year (I'm a teacher) and all that. Must be. Has to be.

That, plus a sudden lack of motivation to exercise, did it for me. I think I burned out with all the work I did this summer, exercise, ballet classes, etc. Training for over 17 hours a week!

I'm trying to force myself back to the gym to do my usual aerobic warm-up before classes. It's not been easy. Made it one day and that's it. At least I made all my ballet classes this week - a first since coming back from Dance Camp.

*sigh* I binged yesterday as well, but not as bad as I have been.

How can I stop this????
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Jeannie.

You have done very well. A minor slip up happened and you know and recognize it for what it is.
    It is probably a lot of sodium, so drink your water and eat right today.

It will be down within a couple of days
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I hear ya BIG time! My scale moved up 6 pounds in one week and I lost about a pound and a half this week of it. I'm so disappointed in myself that I didn't go to WW this week or LAST week. :-(

I put it down to stress - start of the new school year (I'm a teacher) and all that. Must be. Has to be.

That, plus a sudden lack of motivation to exercise, did it for me. I think I burned out with all the work I did this summer, exercise, ballet classes, etc. Training for over 17 hours a week!

I'm trying to force myself back to the gym to do my usual aerobic warm-up before classes. It's not been easy. Made it one day and that's it. At least I made all my ballet classes this week - a first since coming back from Dance Camp.

*sigh* I binged yesterday as well, but not as bad as I have been.

How can I stop this????

You can do this. Can you just exercise at home before work? Sometimes taking out the stress of going to the gym can help us get back to our normal routines.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    thank you girls so much. It made me feel horrible yesterday when someone said, "you're heading back down a slippery slope" It is hard for me to stop eating once I binge like that, but it happens very rarely now and I did enjoy every bite, just really didn't enjoy weighing today and I shouldn't have even got out the scale.

I'm no expert by any means :laugh: but I would say that as long as it's NOT a slippery slope, you're fine. Life happens sometimes- none of us can truly say that we're *never* again gong to get together with family for whatever reason and eat more than we should. We're here because we've made and continue making healthy lifestyle choices for the long term- there are going to be bad days, bad weekends and occasionally even bad weeks... as long as they're very occasional you have nothing to feel guilty or worry about, in my opinion. :flowerforyou:

Sometimes I even find that having a bad day of eating helps me in the long run because I hate the way I feel (physically and emotionally) so I'm less tempted to do it again for a while.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

You guys are awesome and I'm so thankful to have you- you all understand and support because we are in this together. It just seems like the harder we try sometimes, when people do see us eating not so healthy the remarks kill me! Hugs to you all and happy Labor Day! Thank you for the advice, I need to drink more water today-

And Jeannie, I was hoping that you would respond because you are also one of my heroes and your advice means a lot to me!!! :flowerforyou:

Jenny, I also just donated to your marathon. I am so proud of all you have accomplished!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    ditto jeannie.

lots of water will def help flush that out. plus bananas are good for getting rid of the sodium, too.

and big hugs for the nasty remarks :heart: you've accomplished so much and for people to try to tear you down...welll. that's just mean spirited.

congrats on all you've done and you're sure to keep moving forward! :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

you are the only one who knows whether you can eat like that and not go back to your old ways. I couldn't do it. Recreational eating doesn't work for me, so I don't do it.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • mskellyw
    Options
    One of the ways that I know I've finally gotten to a place where this is long-term thing for me is that I CAN splurge and still be ok. I think that's the hallmark of a true lifestyle change. No one can be perfect all the time, so learning how to deal with minor setbacks is just part of integrating this way of eating into your everyday life. I'm sure there was a time for you, just like there was for me, that one day of going overboard was an excuse to discard your entire program ("Well I've already screwed up, so what's the point?"). I'd say that recognizing your slip up, worrying about it, asking for advice, and willingness to jump back on the wagon are all excellent signs!

Also, I was out of town a few weeks ago and while I stayed on track for about a week, the last few days went downhill fast. When I got home I was horrified to find that I'd gained SIX pounds! I got back to my now normal eating habits right away and actually lost all of that water weight PLUS another 1.6 pounds the following week! So don't stress out about it... I think that occasionally (and I do mean occasionally) shaking things up can actually help your metabolism in the long run!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Remember: just as it takes 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat, it takes 3500 to gain one as well. Even with a weekend of "splurging", it is doubtful you could have done that much "damage". Weighing yourself a day later will be a shock, yes, but that's because---how can I say this--the food hasn't entirely worked through your system yet. My experience in similar situations is that, if you get back on track, things even themselves out in a few days. You might pick up a pound or two, but that can be reversed.

I had a similar experience last May for my stepson's HS graduation party. We had at least 10 people RSVP but not show up, so we had TONS of food left over. It was one of those things where I had been pretty rigid for 9-10 weeks and just lost it that weekend--basically eating anything that wasn't fast enough to crawl away.

I did the same thing--jump on the scale the next day and freaked out, but here is what the real data was:

Wt 5/23 (morning before party): 227.2

I did not write down the "freaked out" number--in fact I stayed off the scale for 6 days. But I did get back on my program on monday morning.

Wt 5/29: 224.6

I worked out 5 of those 6 days in between, but nothing dramatic--I averaged about 600 calories per workout.

So, again, trust yourself and your program, and you should be fine.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    You silly goose.

I wouldnt give it another thought. Your a changed person. You and I both know it. For every comment we get on the positive end, there is always some person with a snide remark. Here's the way I look at it. In my journey as in yours there are a few things we must do. the first two are pretty basic.
    #1: eat less
    #2: Burn more.

But for me there was a third more important step. Redefining my relationship with food. At first when I started this journey I was AFRAID of food. Terrified over the hold it had on me and worried about losing control. I spent much of my time worried about what I might eat or feeling guilty over what I had eaten. Then one day almost like a light had gone off I started to see food for what it was. Fuel, something I need and yes something to be enjoyed.

We all have that friend that we would spend time with before our lifestyle change. You know, the one that seems to be able to eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING without gaining a pound. Well here is the reality. Those people don't exist. Fact is skinny people eat like fat people.... They just don't do it every day. Skinny people eat like fat people... they just have the active lifestyle to back it up. My best friend could out eat me on any special occasion that we attended together. The man was as skinny as a rail and I was a tank. Here I am thinking that it's not fair. But this was a special occasion. What I didnt realize was that in reality...the next morning when I was just a plain old monday and I wasnt there with him, he was eating some bran flakes while I was driving to the Mcdonald's drive through. We are all here to improve our lives. And a life without being able to eat drink and be merry with friends and family is no life for me. Putting the guilt aside, losing a fear of food and finding a balance is a difficult but important step that I still havnt completely figured out yet. But it's a step worth taking. As for the comments about a slippery slope. People have alot of pre-conceived notions about not only you and your former weight but also about dieting in general. Just have to ignore it I guess. You enjoyed your time with your family. You ate some yummy stuff and you didnt let it force you into working out on your rest day. I would say that's something to celebrate! You'll keep getting stonger and you will run that marathon in November and I will be here with this big dumb proud look on my face when you do. Welcome to the world of skinny people who seemingly eat whatever they want. :drinker:

P.S. The weight gain is most certainly water from the sodium and prolly just a tummy full of stuff. It will go away and fast. :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    " Welcome to the world of skinny people who seemingly eat whatever they want.":drinker:

Andrew this will stay with me for a very long time.

:flowerforyou: jeanniemom ( that is what my nephew called me!! :tongue: )
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Remember: just as it takes 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat, it takes 3500 to gain one as well.

So, again, trust yourself and your program, and you should be fine.
  • Luke93
    Options
    Have you looked in the mirror recently? You look absolutely stunning!!! Your about to run the NYC MARATHON!! Slippery slope, not a chance.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Never weigh yourself after you've had a few bad days. Drink some water, get back at your exercise tomorrow, and weigh in a week. :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    " Welcome to the world of skinny people who seemingly eat whatever they want.":drinker:

Andrew this will stay with me for a very long time.

:flowerforyou: jeanniemom ( that is what my nephew called me!! :tongue: )

20-25 years ago when I was younger and more athletic, I worked in cardiac rehabilitation and with a lot of overweight individuals. At the time, I was in the 12% body fat range and would constantly get comments from my clients that I could not understand them because I was "young" and "naturally thin", My thoughts were that a) while not old, being in my 30s, I was hardly "young" and b) the difference between me and my patients was the 50 miles a week I was running.

Unfortunately, I proved my point later on when I stopped running, got older, and proceeded to end up looking just like them :-(

I'm better now.