Dreaded Plateau

Options
cdl8
cdl8 Posts: 164 Member
So I've hit the dreaded plateau and I have been here for 8 months. I have been gaining 7 lbs and losing the same 7 now for sooo long. I've lost 44 lbs and still need 30 more gone! I workout using programs such as P90X, Insanity, and Turbo Fire. I've been reading about the zig zagging of calories and intend to try this. But do I look at the net calories or the food calories for the final number???? And if I follow this my caloric intake will be different from MFP intake on some days. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to break through tjhis??? Thanks for your input!

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Change it up some. Increase calories, lower calories( or both increase one day lower the next ). Change what you eat, change your exercise routine up some.
  • vibrantval
    vibrantval Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi I know how you feel I lost 40 lbs and yo-yoed between the same 5-8 lbs gain/loss I started a water as your only beverage for a month challenge with a few others and I feel that I have broken that plateau. I haven't weighed in, not until tomorrow, since today is the last day of the challenge.
    I will write again tomorrow and let you know my results.
    This is one thing out of many that I have tried to break outta my plateau. Good luck!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, we seem to be doing everything right, then hit the dreaded "plateau" where the body has reached a state of equilibrium. So, how do we punch through?
    You change up your whole program to keep your body guessing. That works as a proactive measure, and in some other cases people experiencing a plateau have overreached and are not eating enough.
    Here is a great article on breaking through.
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

And also, are you following the MFP recommendations for healthy weight loss?
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

If you are on some other program, get off that sinking ship and get to what works. Follow the simple MFP guidelines.
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the same thing. I lost 31 pounds then in January I started losing and gaining the same 8 pounds. I can't get past it. I have tried no sugars, no carbs, no alcohol, more protein, no caffiene, the list goes on and on. I have tried 1200 cals and 1500 cals. I have done 30 day shred, zumba, jamie easons live fit, running, biking, P90X, biggest loser, and I am doing insanity now. I am stuck as well. Today I decided to follow the diet guide that came with insanity and up my calorie intake. It recommends 1900 cals, I am only going to raise it to 1700. I have read that not eating enough will cause a plateau. I will let you know Monday how this is working out. My advice with zig-zagging is that unless you are burning more than 600 cals doing exercise per day, just zig-zag the food cals not net cals.
  • pattydoz55
    pattydoz55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i am also stuck i have been here since january i have lost around 100 pounds but only 33 since i have been using my fitness pal it goes up then back down i continue to watch and have bad days but i am hopeful i will continue to go down have a long way to go.:happy:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Please open your diary.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    if you have it a plateau you need to re-look at your total calorie intake and macro splits, simple as that.

Personally I feel the MFP default ones are not great, Do a bit of research into how to work out your own calorie and macro nutrient requirements, all the info is out there and it is really quite simple. or at least use a better calculator such as

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/