Hey I'm an 18 year old overweight Guy here's my story...

Replies

• Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    @ nighthawk51 : I don't think he was saying mean things, just reflecting and expressing a struggle. We all are in the same boat and need to be positive and encourage each other. I re-read the post, and I don't quite understand your response. Best of luck to everyone!

I agree. If you are going to respond to someone in the negative, please read the post carefully first. Alot of people struggle with self image and seeing themselves as ugly, especially in school and lash out at others to make themselves feel better. The fact that he realized what he was doing and regrets it is a bigger step than most people make. Now he just needs to realize that he is not "ugly" just because he is overweight and he'll being doing good!
  • That's true, he's not "ugly" because he's overweight, anymore than "old" is too old, and that is precisely my point. I'm looking at a statement that is being denied so what of the subtle nuances right? Best of luck to you all.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Hello, in the first sentence it states before you knew you were fat "YOU WOULD LOOK AT FAT PEOPLE AND MAKE FUN OF THEM" what i missed hearing was that you regretted it, I was the skinny person standing up for those overweight people, time and time again, from the bullies. I saw how it tore them apart, how it tore my sis apart. And I'm sorry, but when you suggest that the heavier you is "ugly" that's a strong term, moreso, what does that imply to those who are overweight? I just think that "ugly" is best suited to describe someone's character. Never mind, i can see that you don't understand this point of view. Best of luck to you anyway.

@Nighthawk: You're reading posts online from an 18 year old stranger who is looking to change his life for the positive, who is openly admitting to past mistakes and immaturity....and you choose to attack him for doing so? I realize everyone has their own pasts that shape their perspective, but how do you expect someone to grow into maturity if you never let them grow from the mistakes they have made? Negativity creates negativity. Why not show some positive guidance?

To the OP, you really have come to the right place. Losing weight is all about diet, fitness and strength come from exercise. To perform at your optimum you really need a balance of both diet and exercise. It sounds like you're already used to working out to some degree, so I would really spend some time revitalizing your diet with healthy foods (think fruits, raw veggies and lean cuts of meats) and practicing portion control. Since you're 18 and there is a good chance you're still living at home, I recommend talking to your parents about your plans so they can support your changes or accept you cooking for yourself.
  • feel free to add me!! I really need some motivation lbs
  • tlucas69
    tlucas69 Posts: 74 Member
    Feel free to add me too!! Good luck and welcome!

And pls don't pay any mind to the loser talkin' crap on here!
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    First off, don't down yourself!!! You need to look at the guy on Youtube as an inspiration, not someone who you wish you were! USE them to help get you where you want to be!! Use that inspiration to push you to do what you need to do to accomplish what you want! You have come to the right place here at MFP.......you will have encouragement and support if you choose to take it.......same for me! Add me if you want!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Hi & Welcome, dont take what SOME people have to say to heart, I dont think they understood what you were saying. The way I read it was like this: You used to make fun of fat people, and then you realized you were a fat person yourself and basically making fun of yourself without realizing it. That had to be a reality check for you, I'm glad you were open about this, now you know some of the struggles overweight people endure:
    When you said you looked ugly, I read it like this: Wow, I didnt realize my face was so big and unattractive, Again, you realized something and openly admitted it, and have set a goal to be more attractive in your own eyes.
    When you said before you get too old, I read it like this: Before I have wasted my youth on being overweight I would like to try some daring and adventurous things. That is a great goal to set for yourself, because whether some people like it or not, we all get older, and some things just arent as easy as they were when we were young.

I'm ~Bre btw.
  • TakinSexyBack
    Hopefully you'll learn on this site that calling people names for being overweight is very cruel; as well as talking about people as being "ugly" and "old". We are only as old as we feel, and there's a ton of people here that could out-run, out-bike and out-lift AND OUT-LOOK you buddy, before or after losing weight. And for those who stay overweight, and are older than you, and have not found their slimmer selves, pray for them too to find this site and find their way to health and happiness. If your mother was overweight, would you call her names, I'm guessing the least of which is "fat-*kitten*", she's obviously older than you, is "old" the word you would describe her? Has she found her slimmer self or is she "ugly" too? Grow up.
    Edited by Nighthawk61 on Sat 06/30/12 10:30 PM

That was just a rude response as far as I am concerned. He wasn't trying to talk down to anyone. He was talking honestly and telling us about his life and how it had been. Don't rail on people for being honest and innocent in how they say things. I don't know about you but I am too mature to let the words fat-*kitten* and ugly bother me. I know who I am and most of us on here do also. Don't dog this guy for reaching out for help. IF YOU had read the post without bias, you would have seen he wasn't saying anything hurt anyone. You tell him to grow up.........maybe you need to grow a thicker skin and not get offended so easily? I don't want to be rude but we are ALL here for ONE reason and we need to accept each other and help each other.
  • Look, i'm sorry that i said anything. Who really cares if anyone calls overweight people fat, fat-*kitten*, ugly and old when anyone does? Nobody. And this is a weight loss site not a site for bullies .
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member

@Nighthawk: You're reading posts online from an 18 year old stranger who is looking to change his life for the positive, who is openly admitting to past mistakes and immaturity....and you choose to attack him for doing so? I realize everyone has their own pasts that shape their perspective, but how do you expect someone to grow into maturity if you never let them grow from the mistakes they have made? Negativity creates negativity. Why not show some positive guidance?

^^^This.
  • BR3ANDA
    That was just a rude response as far as I am concerned. He wasn't trying to talk down to anyone. He was talking honestly and telling us about his life and how it had been. Don't rail on people for being honest and innocent in how they say things. I don't know about you but I am too mature to let the words fat-*kitten* and ugly bother me. I know who I am and most of us on here do also. Don't dog this guy for reaching out for help. IF YOU had read the post without bias, you would have seen he wasn't saying anything hurt anyone. You tell him to grow up.........maybe you need to grow a thicker skin and not get offended so easily? I don't want to be rude but we are ALL here for ONE reason and we need to accept each other and help each other.
    [/quote]

Yes, exactly!
  • sladeuk
    sladeuk Posts: 3
    i no the feeling of being to heavy but like urself i have tried everything under the sun apart from surgery to which i dont want to go down that road but on here i have been reading loads of topics and they all have helped in there own ways
    keep up the good work and feel free to add me if u wish
  • TakinSexyBack

I totally agree with the post made above!!!!!!!!!!! Don't worry about Nighthawk...........apparently he thrives off of hunting and hurting people!
  • BR3ANDA
    Look, i'm sorry that i said anything. Who really cares if anyone calls overweight people fat, fat-*kitten*, ugly and old when anyone does? Nobody. And this is a weight loss site not a site for bullies .

He wasnt bullying anyone, he was just sharing how he felt about himself and he's hoping to find a way to make it better. Lots and lots of overweight people, even healthy slim people, look at themselves in negative way sometimes, myself included (I'm one of the fat ones). He just wants some help, like everyone else here.
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Please feel free to add this old, fatass. I've got thick skin and realize we are all here to lose weight and get fit. Hopefully we can help each other along the way. :laugh:
  • BR3ANDA
    Please feel free to add this old, fatass. I've got thick skin and realize we are all here to lose weight and get fit. Hopefully we can help each other along the way. :laugh:

I'll take you up on that offer too!
  • suuffpigs
    suuffpigs Posts: 1
    I''m new to this site, i don't why this is getting so nasty
  • Dean513
    Dean513 Posts: 23
    Like you, I was 18 when I got my wake up call. I was 260 lbs and getting heavier, I didn't have a clue how to start losing weight. I joined the local Y because they had an indoor track and didn't want anyone to see the fat *kitten* running on the street. I eventually got down to 170, with the help of a lot of running, weight training and diet. I'm now in fifites and in the best shape of my life, I have run marathons and am hoping to do my first Crossfit challenge in the fall. Once you start challenging yourself all the extreme things you want to do will happen. Good Luck!
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Hello, in the first sentence it states before you knew you were fat "YOU WOULD LOOK AT FAT PEOPLE AND MAKE FUN OF THEM" what i missed hearing was that you regretted it, I was the skinny person standing up for those overweight people, time and time again, from the bullies. I saw how it tore them apart, how it tore my sis apart. And I'm sorry, but when you suggest that the heavier you is "ugly" that's a strong term, moreso, what does that imply to those who are overweight? I just think that "ugly" is best suited to describe someone's character. Never mind, i can see that you don't understand this point of view. Best of luck to you anyway.

To the OP, you really have come to the right place. Losing weight is all about diet, fitness and strength come from exercise. To perform at your optimum you really need a balance of both diet and exercise. It sounds like you're already used to working out to some degree, so I would really spend some time revitalizing your diet with healthy foods (think fruits, raw veggies and lean cuts of meats) and practicing portion control. Since you're 18 and there is a good chance you're still living at home, I recommend talking to your parents about your plans so they can support your changes or accept you cooking for yourself.
    [/quote

I like this...
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    I think the best piece of advice anyone could give you here is to ask questions. A lot of questions. The extra weight can come off a whole lot quicker if you approach this smartly and there are so many folks on here ready to help and encourage you. Lots of confusing and conflicting information out there and lots of knowledge generous folks in here. :)

Looking forward to watching you post your progress pics. (And damn ain't it hot down here in Tx?)