I can lose weight by just walking, right?

Options

Replies

• Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight by just walking.

I found some research that you might be interested in reading.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/08/19/why-is-walking-so-good-for-weight-loss/
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I also hula hoop every day for 30 minutes....

You hula hoop? I can't hula hoop to save my life! That is talent! Have you worn your HRM while you hula hoop? if so, how many calories do you burn?
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in a place where walking is all I can do, so for now that's where I am starting. I might do other things when my body shape is a little more 'acceptable'....
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25 lbs just walking, so have at it, and ENJOY:drinker:
    At some point I needed more intensity, and you might as well.
    Worry about that later.
    And I still take my walks - LOVE IT!
  • misslouisiana
    misslouisiana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs walking 5 - 8 miles a day at a leasurely pace - It took two years. It's great exercise!

WOW Thats amazing!
  • misslouisiana
    Options
    I know many people that have lost weight from walking and watching what they eat. I plan on walking after I have my baby to lose the baby weight. It is also easier if you have joint problems. I can't run due to knee injuries.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Most of my exercise consists of walking. My leg muscles are way more toned than they were two months ago and I've lost 3 inches in my thigh measurement alone! Yes, diet helps with fat loss, but diet alone won't help build and tone muscle which helps with your physique more than fat loss in itself. Activity is good for your health, and if you are doing it in a way you enjoy, it's good for the soul too!!
  • misslouisiana
    Options
    But is walking enough? Right now it's what makes me happy and gets me off the couch. Opinons?

Do whatever you enjoy. Walking is enough.

But it's 80% about your diet, anyway. That's the key.

--P

Exactly! Diet is key!
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    no more so than by not walking and eating less. walking and cardio does nothing more than if you were to just eat less.

huh???

Im not clear what you are trying to say. Eating a calorie deficit coupled with cardio leads to weight loss in my limited experience, more effectivley so than diet OR exercise alone
    incorrect. In every study i've seen on the subject, cardio + diet when compared to diet alone get similar weight loss results. there is no benefit fat loss weight to cardio exercise.

This is illogical. Doing cardio and burning say an extra 300 to 500 calories a day while dieting will get u an extra. 1/2 to 1 pound loss per week. Food intake being equal. So YES cardio or any activity that increases calories out as long as your aren't increasing calories in will result in deficit and assist weight loss
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    no more so than by not walking and eating less. walking and cardio does nothing more than if you were to just eat less.
    Exercise is ALWAYS better than no exercise when it comes to optimal health.
    Now, if a person's goals are low, and all they desire is mere weight loss, then skip the exercise.
    Just diet your way from fat to skinny fat.
    I like to set my goals high. I want to be fit, strong and be play tennis, hike and generally enjoy a host of other wonderful benefits that come with exercise.
    To even bring this up speaks volumes.
    Success and achievement is not only a habit but a choice.
    And so too is mediocrity.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

Nonsense.
    great. can you explain to me how doing 200 calories burned worth of walking will give improved fat loss compared to not doing walking and eating 200 calories less?
    Sure, those too lazy to exercise are generally too lazy to stick to a diet.
    They excel at making excuses and wasting time arguing the point instead of taking a nice walk to increase strength, endurance and overall well being.
    Such people are to be pitied.
    Anyway, good luck with your "goals".
  • jessicak0614
    jessicak0614 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think walking is great. Quite honestly, I lost over 20 pounds back in 2008 just by cutting out all meat except fish. I ended up gaining it all back plus some when I started eating meat again. Now I'm eating healthier and walking at least 4-5 days a week and have begun to do some weights. So far I've lost 15lbs and have another 20 to lose.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    <----walked for 32 mins today, burned 390 cals. Walking is quite effective.

Edited for spelling error
    No, you did not. Unless you were going at over 190BPM heartrate.
    This is why I don't do these forums. How the hell you gonna tell me what my 260lb self was doing? Calorie burn is dependent on fitness level and entirely dependent on that person.

Twits on here trying e-smack somebody over the head with "facts"
    Completely ridiculkous!!!
  • Gallen67
    Gallen67 Posts: 5
    Options
    <----walked for 32 mins today, burned 390 cals. Walking is quite effective.

Edited for spelling error
    No, you did not. Unless you were going at over 190BPM heartrate.

Really? How do you know? Were you there? :grumble:

Don't hate. That's a good work out.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I must be doing something wrong because I have been walking 5-10 miles a day for 6 months and haven't lost a pound. And I was walking at a 5 mph pace.
  • sjwhite7
    sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a trail that I have been walking for about a month and have continued to lose. I wanted a change and wanted more time outside to enjoy nature with my new found weight loss. Im still losing. My trail has lots of hills though. I have a fitbit that really helps me with tracking. I also just bought a new bike and I love it. It cost me about $160 and thats with a extra padded gel seat. It was a great investment! Move more, eat less seems to be a really great motto to live by. Good luck!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yes, Amazon and some of the other online companies hire seniors for seasonal work every fall. They are on their feet all day carrying light loads. They lose a lot of pounds. It is as simple as this: lower your daily calorie total with diet and exercise and you lose weight.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes you can..it's one of the easiest exercises out here!!!
  • RainxPain
    RainxPain Posts: 152
    Options
    Of course. I've lost all my weight by lowering my calories and simply walking.
  • batesss
    batesss Posts: 24
    Options

It might not do anything extra for your weight loss, but being active does a lot more than just eating less.