protein and stomach aches

Options
today i started drinking whey protein shakes. both of them made me feel sick, like im going to throw up.
is this normal with protein? could it just be my body getting used to it and it will go away?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    it's not normal, no.

Are you fine with other dairy products?
  • annika27
    annika27 Posts: 56
    Options
    i love dairy products! haha. i have never had any problems with dairy before.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common when upping the protein, you need to add SOME dietary fat to stimulate bile production and emulsify your protein.

Alternatively, dairy in large amounts (even if low/no lactose) tends to tear up some peoples' stomachs (myself) but can be more than capable of downing large amounts of meat. Varying your protein sources can help, still get some fat
  • harleigh67
    harleigh67 Posts: 131
    Options
    It could be caused by several factors!!!
    Is the brand you chose?....... there are other types out there
    protein overload.....how much protein do you consume in a day?
    sweetener sensitivity ....what kind of sweetener does it contain?
    soy ......are you allergic to it?
    Lactose Intolerance which you said you have no problem with but are you mixing it with milk or water, you could get an overload if using milk?
    When are you taking it right before during or after exercise? try taking it 2 hours before and seeing if stomach settles it better
  • babybird3
    babybird3 Posts: 67
    Options
    I had the same problem too! I was using Dymatize ISO-100 because it is no carb, no sugar but it made me feel so ill! My nutritionist recommended Pure Encapsulations Pure Lean with Stevia, a protein powder free of dairy, soy, gluten, wheat, yeast, artificial flavours/sweeteners. It tastes amazing (light vanilla taste, none of that artificial flavour and horrible aftertaste) and keeps me full for a long time. I gave my trainer some (she's a body builder and has used protein powder for years) and she loves it too!
  • lorinda84
    lorinda84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think i've figured out that it's the soy in mine that is tearing me up. I don't feel like i have to throw up, but it makes me frequently go to the bathroom.