Coleslaw

Options
Hairhacker
Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
I am looking for some of ya'lls favorite coleslaw recipes. I like easy and not too many ingredients. I am having a BBQ dinner and would like a great coleslaw recipe. Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Reduced-Fat and Calorie Coleslaw (Like KFC from A Dr Oz site I believe)

Chef Todd Wilbur’s recreates this popular barbeque side dish by replacing the mayonnaise with light mayonnaise and the whole milk with low-fat milk. This version tastes just as good as the original, but with half the fat and almost half the calories of the slaw you’re used to.
    Added to Recipes on Wed 04/04/2012

Ingredients
    Serves 10

1/2 cup light mayonnaise

1/4 cup low-fat milk

1/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk

2 tbsp plus 1 tsp granulated sugar

2 tbsp white vinegar

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp ground black pepper

8 cups finely minced cabbage (approximately 1 head)
    1/4 cup carrot, shredded then finely minced
    2 tbsp finely minced onion

Directions
    Combine mayonnaise, milk, buttermilk, sugar, vinegars, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk well until the sugar is dissolved.

Add cabbage, carrot and onion, and toss well. Be sure cabbage, carrot and onion are chopped into very small pieces, about the size of rice.

Cover and chill for at least two hours before serving. Overnight is even better.

Nutrition Facts
    85 calories for a half-cup serving, 3 grams of fat
  • BrendaHyde
    BrendaHyde Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Reduced-Fat and Calorie Coleslaw (Like KFC from A Dr Oz site I believe)

Chef Todd Wilbur’s recreates this popular barbeque side dish by replacing the mayonnaise with light mayonnaise and the whole milk with low-fat milk. This version tastes just as good as the original, but with half the fat and almost half the calories of the slaw you’re used to.
    Added to Recipes on Wed 04/04/2012

Ingredients
    Serves 10

1/2 cup light mayonnaise

1/4 cup low-fat milk

1/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk

2 tbsp plus 1 tsp granulated sugar

2 tbsp white vinegar

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp ground black pepper

8 cups finely minced cabbage (approximately 1 head)
    1/4 cup carrot, shredded then finely minced
    2 tbsp finely minced onion

Directions
    Combine mayonnaise, milk, buttermilk, sugar, vinegars, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk well until the sugar is dissolved.

Add cabbage, carrot and onion, and toss well. Be sure cabbage, carrot and onion are chopped into very small pieces, about the size of rice.

Cover and chill for at least two hours before serving. Overnight is even better.

Nutrition Facts
    85 calories for a half-cup serving, 3 grams of fat

This sounds great!! Kinda like a recipe I grew up with only healthier!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    The KFC imitation was quite good, I LOVE KFC slaw but all slaws are so bad. I used one of those bags of shreds so it didnt make as many servings as in the recipe. I also used mini chopper to make the shreds more like KFC's. I will definitely make it again. Of course I'd love to do a side by side taste test but I was content with how it came out. :)