Protein vs Fat vs Carbs for building lean muscle

Options
I just joined this site and I want to customize my daily nutritional goals and am looking for some help on what they should be set to. Right now by default they are set as:

55% Carbs
15% Protein
30% Fat

My goal is to lose fat and gain lean muscle. I started a routine where I do workouts that involve either circuit weight lifting with kettle bells and body weight exercises, conventional-style weight lifting, or running.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• michellematteson
    Options
    40C/30P/30F seem to be popular to some people who are lifting weights and gaining muscle. I am not lifting at this time, but I wanted to up my protein to maintain the muscle I do have and lose just the fat. Protein keeps me fuller, longer too, so I don't feel like having snacks throughout the day. I recently changed my macros to 50C/20P/30F but if I go higher with my protein, I don't sweat it.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you will likely benefit from more protein. I use 40C/30P/30F as guidelines. Protein is the only one that is a target that I attempt to hit every day. The other two macros are a line I try not to exceed.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Look into If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYMs). It's custom to your goal (weight gain, maintenance, or loss). Set percentages don't really work and can be hard to manage, IIFYM goes by macro goals in grams...the macros do tend to be close to typical bodybuilder macro percentages thought (40/40/20, 40/30/30, etc.)

Typically, protein is 1g/lb bodyweight, fat is around 0.5g/lb (can vary more depending on goal 0.25-1g/lb), and then you fill in your remaining calories with grams from carbohydrates (enough to meet your defecit, maintenance, or surplus goal)
  • Bigdcub1975
    Options
    I am right with you on that one Greg!