Running on a treadmill?
Cycling?

Your thoughts please.
:drinker:

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I do them all but I enjoy the elleptical and cycling the most well I love them all with treadmill been last:happy: :flowerforyou: I just change up here and their and do them vigoriously to burn more calories:happy: :flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I personally hate running on a treadmill. For me, running on a track is a little bit better, but I much prefer running where I'm actually going somewhere- I find I get too bored on a treadmill or a track, and if I'm bored the workout just drags on and on.

I am dying to get a bike to do on days that I don't run... again, because I'm moving and there's things to look at, etc.

Just my opinion...
  • jennb5255
    jennb5255 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Kelynn

I'm with you. I keep saying that I want a treadmill, but I really enjoy walking through my neighborhood. I change the route I take each time but I have something to look at so it keeps me motivated to walk longer and I don't seem to get bored.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Personally, given those choices, cycling. I like the flexibility of where I can go, see new things, and still burn calories. Track is good if you want to get into running.

If you need something for indoor, treadmill is OK. However, I just set my bike up on a stationary setup and watch a movie while working out. Still gets a good workout, doesn't cost much more and I can put it anywhere and break it down when I am done.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    They're all good. Mix them up, or pick the one you enjoy most.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    All of the above!! The more you change it up, the better for your body and continued success.

I think it was Banks that said that walking/running off the treadmill is more effective, and I tested it and found it to be true. I burned 50% more calories in the same amount of time. It makes sense, because the road doesnt have a rubber band helping you along!!

(My test was as close to perfect as I could do. I ate the same, ran the same MFP, wore the same clothes, worked out the same time....)

I love to experiment! Someone once said you can burn more calories with your arms up while walking. I did the test and sure enough....HR went from 125 to 135 in 10 or so feet!! Amazing what our bodies can do!!

Have fun :flowerforyou:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Jeannie I love that you tested this out and shared it with us! I don't have a HRM so I am always ballparking it.

It's interesting that running on a treadmill burns more because I found that when I went from inside to outside running it was SOOOOO much harder outside. I could run all day inside, but outside it was like I was back at square one. Had to start all over with training so I can actually complete my 5k at the end of the month!

I agree with the others--try all 3. Switch it up and your body will be lovin' it (and the scale will too)!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have to admit that cycling and, yeah, the treadmill, are my favorites. I find that running on a track (I can't really run in my neighborhood) just seems too...overwhelming. I don't run as long or as fast.

Cycling - I love it! It's amazing how many calories you burn cycling!

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Jeannie I love that you tested this out and shared it with us! I don't have a HRM so I am always ballparking it.

It's interesting that running on a treadmill burns more because I found that when I went from inside to outside running it was SOOOOO much harder outside. I could run all day inside, but outside it was like I was back at square one. Had to start all over with training so I can actually complete my 5k at the end of the month!

I agree with the others--try all 3. Switch it up and your body will be lovin' it (and the scale will too)!

I must have written it wrong. Running OUTSIDE burns more than on the treadmill.........sorry!!

You are moving your body along without the aid of that moving band. I burned 50% more at the walk park than on the treadmill.

Sorry I wasnt clearer!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • margaretthedevil
    Options

I must have written it wrong. Running OUTSIDE burns more than on the treadmill.........sorry!!

You are moving your body along without the aid of that moving band. I burned 50% more at the walk park than on the treadmill.

Sorry I wasnt clearer!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    And it's a 10000x harder too, especially if it's hot. :cry: I can jog for 10 minutes at a consistent pace on a treadmill no problem. Now outside with slopes is a completely different story.