Beginner Running Tips_2

Options
annokoye
annokoye Posts: 125 Member
Greetings Runners,

This post is somewhat of a follow-up request for advice and update on my running. I made my first Fitness and Exercise post June 19, 2012. The post basically asked experienced runners for their opinion on my goal to run 1.5 miles in 15 or 16 minutes by the last week of August. Many of MFP members responded with very positive inputs.

Since this post I have had several disappointing days and many stressors but I am still running. I wanted to give all of you an update tonight I ran the entire 1.5 mile without stopping. However, I exceeded the time I ran it in on the actual Fit Test and then I actually walked some of the laps. Tonight I completed the 1.5 mile in 20:11 [no walking]. This post is simply to inform you of the update to successfully run the entire 1.5 mile now.

I would also like to know if it is still realistic to make my goal by the last week of August. With my time increasing instead of decreasing; I'm a little nervous. What recommendations would you all provide for me now that I have run the entire 1.5 mile without stopping. Should I start focusing on my speed now. How can I train to increase my speed. I know intervals were highly recommended in the last post along with working on my breathing techniques. I really think that I will continue to train on the outdoor track rather than the treadmill. I do not know why but I have had a hard time with running without stopping on the treadmill.

Please know I really appreciate all advice given.
Thanks

Replies

• Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!

A few tips:
    1) run both indoor and outdoor. If running outdoor, I suggest a running app, I use mapmyrun. It tracks time, distance, calories burned and pace. I have mine set to tell me my stats every 5 minutes. When on the treadmill, increase your speed each time your on AND do HIIT. I have a couple HIIT routines I do, if you're interested, I can give them to you. I would have to change them a bit though.
    2) breathe from your CORE. This helps tremendously. Short half breaths are NOT HELPFUL and cause you to become more winded. Practice this.
    3) Try to get a HMR, this will help you regulate yourself and know when/if you need to be slowing down or walking. Sometimes, its just in our minds, and as a runner, you have to fight this.
    4) use music! I don't know if you already are, but fast paced, quick tempo beats help me to keep going!
    5) Don't think of your runs as a "WORKOUT", think of them as "training". For me, this means pushing myself a little harder each time and not giving in to my desire to slow/stop/quit.

I truly believe you can make your goal, just keep at it!
  • annokoye
    Options
    Cheri,

Thanks so much. I will definitely do what you've recommended. Also, I would love to have your HIIT's if you are willing to share them. Some of the acronyms you use; I am not familiar with them. Will you please explain? What is HIIT and HMR. I was thinking HMR was Heart Rate Monitor but I thought I better just ask. Also, I am running on a track do you recommend me running else where. Based upon your comments; I think you may not be utilizing a track when outdoors. I was using Android App called RunKeeper but I am not sure if it is really accurate and I have to ensure; I am running the correct mileage for my Fit Test.

Thanks so much for your response.

Annokoye
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Sorry!

-So HMR is just that, Heart rate monitor. I bought mine off of craigslist and couldn't train without it, I am addicted to it! It was a model that retailed for $100, and I paid $55.
    -HIIT is high intensity INTERVAL training. You'll also see HIT which is the same without the intervals. I do both. Intervals are GREAT for speed training. I do HIT with my strength training and some speed/hill training (and only on the treadmill, because it is SO much easier to control)
    -no, I dont run on a track, but there is NOTHING wrong with doing so. I live in Eugene, Oregon aka track town, usa! The olympic trials are currently being held a few miles from my house actually :wink: There are LOT of running trails around here, so I dont have to run on a track, thank goodness, Id die of boardum!

Not bragging or anything, but I had the privledge of running in the rain today, on a bark path that winded in and out of beautiful trees and fields and ponds, right by autzen stadium (the university of Oregon football stadium) on a path named "pre's trail" named after Steve Prefontaine.

Check it out if you'd like!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre's_Trail

And I will get those HIIT routines to you soon!
  • annokoye
    Options
    Thanks so much Cheri for the great advice.