First Grocery trip since I started

Options
thisisjl
thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
We'll I've been at this for 11 days now and I just hit the grocery store for the first time earlier today to really stock up on healthy foods and planned my meals out. I stuck mostly to the outside of the store only went into the isles for a couple items and really those were items for the kids. My biggest problem is my work schedule and meals there. I work overnights so my normal schedule is to eat something before going to bed in the mornings when I get home if I don't get enough at work I'm normally grabbign somethign unhealthy on the way home :-(. Then I get up in the afternoons and have supper with the family (5-6pm) and normally I take the left overs with me to work for my second dinner at 2-3am. But I'm finding if I eat the same meal twice it puts me over on my calories especially if I don't get a really good work out in where I can eat back the calories. I won't eat "TV Dinners" they just aren't enough and there is to much sodium in them, and I don't want to have a chef salad every night. I could use any suggestions you might have.

Replies

• chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Maybe something smaller/simpler for when you're at work, or something breakfast-like: granola with yogurt, a sandwich with veggies or a salad, or soup and toast are some of my favourite simple go-tos for a lighter meal. Instead of a meal you could always try a couple of small snacks- some nuts and fresh fruit and cheese/lean protein/veggies? Simple things you can make ahead to take with you instead of a repeat of the previous meal, or if it's possible, even keeping a healthy food stash at work?
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I do have a small stash of healthy stuff here or that I bring along with me each day like normally some type of fruit and sometimes cottage cheese or something. I've thought about doing just the smaller snack type meals while at work but I'm afraid if I bring to much or to many choices I might eat more than I should when it gets slow and I get bored...I know it isn't an excuse but I'm trying to keep temptation out of reach. I might try it for a week or so see how it goes.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    stir fried veggies and whatever protein!
    that is my fave when i have to bring food to work.

soup/stews are really easy.

i know you're sick of salads, but you could make different kinds (taco salad, grilled chicken on a salad, cheeseburger, etc)
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When you have some time and a few empty tupperwares, just make portions of everything, and only bring what you can eat. I'll do batch cooking and portion it out ahead of time or measure/weigh snacks for the day and bring them. It's nice to see how much you will be eating and make adjustments as needed. The big thing for me is having protein and/or fibre at every meal/snack with water as it really works wonders for feeling full!
  • thisisjl
    Options
    stir fried veggies and whatever protein!
    that is my fave when i have to bring food to work.

soup/stews are really easy.

i know you're sick of salads, but you could make different kinds (taco salad, grilled chicken on a salad, cheeseburger, etc)

Ok enlighten me, a cheese burger salad? Or are you refering to having a cheese burger with all th veggie fixin's?
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I also work at night sometimes so I'll take a mini-meal or snack with me. For example, yesterday I woke at 11, had breakfast and went to the gym, had an after gym snack and packed up a grilled chicken, feta cheese and chopped veggie salad to eat at work. I had 1.5hr dinner break so I ate at home then went back to work with a mini ham cheese and mustard sandwich, yoghurt and an apple which I could eat when I started to get peckish. That meant I wasn't hungry when I finished so I went straight to bed.
  • Strivn2day_4aBtrTmrow
    Strivn2day_4aBtrTmrow Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also work nights and understand the frustration. When I first started logging weas the hardest because my 'day' didn't fit into their schedule and when I got to my days off it got all flipped around again. So what I do is I look at the day from 12am to 11:59p. That's only about 5 hours into my night at work but ive got it down now to where i eat about half of my cals at work at night (12a-6a) and then go home and sleep and then finish off the rest of my cals between waking up (5-6pm ish) and midnight. Also try to plan smaller portions more often. It helps with the slow shifts when you want to munch all the time and it also helps with the fastfood stop in the morning. PLAN AHEAD and try to slowly cut out the stuff you know is bad and replace it with better foods. You'll notice that you're cravings change after only a couple weeks, it's crazy how the body adjusts. I hope this helps ;/ just remeber to keep trying ! If one thing doesn't work try another and before you know it you'll be reaching your goals [ )
  • kacinace
    kacinace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I work nights too, and it has been a bit of a learning curve.

For me - I plan out my day (or a few days) in advance so I can keep myself in line. I'll leave about 200 calories unaccounted for when I plan ahead and use those however I want. I'm not rigid about my plan either - I'll make changes as needs arise. Dinner doesn't sound so good anymore? I'll swap it out but I put in the new meal first.

On my work days (I work 7pm to 7am) I eat dinner with my family around 5. Another meal at work at 9, usually leftovers from the day before. 1am is my 3rd meal, which is either cereal or leftovers from the 5pm meal. And then I have another snack around 4 to tie me over - usually fruit & peanut butter but tonight I wanted some chocolate.

My diary should be open if you want to check it out.

Feel free to add me as a friend, too! I love chatting with other night-shifters!
  • kacinace
    kacinace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    And ditto Strivin - I track my days from MN to 1159pm to keep things consistent for my days off.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I also work nights and understand the frustration. When I first started logging weas the hardest because my 'day' didn't fit into their schedule and when I got to my days off it got all flipped around again. So what I do is I look at the day from 12am to 11:59p. That's only about 5 hours into my night at work but ive got it down now to where i eat about half of my cals at work at night (12a-6a) and then go home and sleep and then finish off the rest of my cals between waking up (5-6pm ish) and midnight. Also try to plan smaller portions more often. It helps with the slow shifts when you want to munch all the time and it also helps with the fastfood stop in the morning. PLAN AHEAD and try to slowly cut out the stuff you know is bad and replace it with better foods. You'll notice that you're cravings change after only a couple weeks, it's crazy how the body adjusts. I hope this helps ;/ just remeber to keep trying ! If one thing doesn't work try another and before you know it you'll be reaching your goals [ )

yeah I had the logging issue to with my day not conforming to a normal day so I fixed that. My day goes 7 am - 7 am instead of midnight to midnight. That way other than the "midnight snack aka something before I lay down in the morning" everything is on one day. Works for me. Tonight for some reason has been torture I work 11-7 I had peaches at around 12:30 Chef salad at 2:15 then a Sugar Free Pudding at 4 and it's been a struggle not to just grab everything and eat it early because of the bordom Some nights when I eat a very late super like 7-8pm I can go most of the night just eatting my two snacks and never touching the dinner I brought but others it's hunger central. I'm going to force myself to get home and have a bowl of cereal and some fruit rather than stop for a donut or a breakfast burrito today though I CAN DO IT!
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Don't know if yall are joined on pinterest, but there are great ideas on that site from other members. There are breakfast in a jar ideas- greek yogurt, oatmeal and fruit that you eat cold. Premake them and then grab one for work for the day. Also salad in a jar where they make the salads with the dressing at the very bottom of the jar and veggies layered on top. They use mason jars which normally come 8, 12 in a box and are pretty cheap.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I tried pininterest a while back but was never able to truely get what it was...it confused me.