Diabetes changed my life....

Options
Hi All, after avoiding going to the doctors from High School until my mid thirties, I finally gave into my husbands pressure and made an appointment for him and myself. I have always had a fear of going to the doctors for some reason I still don't understand.
I knew going in I could count on being told I was overweight that was really all I expected. Well I was completely wrong, my clhoresteral was sky high as well a my blood pressure, I was 245lbs ( I stopped weighing myself a long time ago) and I had Diabetes. I was in shock, which quickly turned into depression. I really should not have been too surprised, almost everyday my meals were as follows.. Breakfast medium iced coffee with extra sugar ( the more the better, I didn't mind if I was chewing it),
Lunch was Burger King always super sized, Dinner was whatever I wanted pizza, chicken ziti broccoli Alfredo, etc... I never put any thought into what I was putting in my body, I always wanted instant satisfaction and I would eat until I was full not caring about the consequences.
That was just about 4 months ago. Since then I have completed diabetes education classes, stopped going to Burger King ( i actually think I had to withdraw from it), cut most of my carbs and sugars, and started working out atleast 3 days per week, sometimes more. I got my blood sugar level down to that of a nondiabetic in 3 months, and got my chloesterol back down to a normal range. My blood pressure did not budge and I am now on medication for it, but I don't plan on being on it forever.
I'm down to 202lbs as of today and I feel great, but it's been a hard journey and I'm still working on it daily. My first goal is 199lbs and I'm sure I will be there soon. I have never really tired to lose any weight, and can't believe I am doing it.
I joined this site hoping to connect with people who may be or have been in my position, for motivation and to learn.
Please send me a friends request.

Replies

• pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You said Diabetes changed your life. MFP will change your life too, for the better. You can add me as a friend if you want.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Your story is similar to mine. Didn't visit a doctor from age 20 to age 37. Finally went to get something checked out I was afraid was cancerous (it wasn't), figured while I was there I would get the entire battery of tests. Diagnosed with diabetes, which wasn't really a surprise since there is a very strong family history of it on my father's side.

It wasn't a surprise, but it sure was a wake up call. It definitely changed my life and, as a result, I weigh less than I have in almost 20 years (still got a ways to go, though), am in the best physical shape of my adult life, and have blood sugar levels better than 90% of my non-diabetic friends. While it sucks that it came down to a diabetes diagnosis to get me here, that diagnosis was very much a blessing in many regards.

Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    I'm diabetic too. I take 4-6 needles a day. I got diabetes when I was 13, and I just wanted to be "normal" like all my friends, so I just didn't care... I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, didn't exercise if I didn't have to, as I got older I started drinking a lot of alcohol. 6 months ago I decided I didn't want to have to tell my daughter that she only has 6-12 months to spend with her mommy someday, so I started to get it under control, it's still not completely under control but it's getting there, and so far I've lost 30 pounds and feel great.
  • MountainDont351LBS
    Options
    Same story, doc said my sugar was high so here I am. Add me as a friend if you like and I will support you.
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    I know how you feel. I knew I was overweight but thought I was ok otherwise. Had a health screening at work and my sugar was high. Went to the doc and she confirmed I am diabetic. I have radically changed my diet as well and am trying to be more active. Congrats on losing so far. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • Catzeyes65
    Options
    Hi, I am 44 and have been a diabetic for almost 8 years. I am also a nurse and know the warning signs of diabetes. The day I did brave to check my blood sugars I was 371 at work, blurred vision, constant thirst and trips to bathroom! Yes I still feel like I got hit by a Mack truck. Since then I have had great controlled blood sugars to I don't care weeks. Now at my age I am adjusting to the fact that excersize is a necessity to control this. On a happier note in late April I started Jillian Michaels body revolution and it took me 2 weeks to get off my meds with occasional need for meds. Hurt my wrist 6 weeks in on some stairs and had to let it heel. Into day five now and trying to cut down on my Starbucks coffee habit, sugar free of course! Diabetes is a wicked thing to get but all controllable when you put your mind and will power to it. Keep up the good work, your numbers sound great.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making this effort-you CAN make changes and the tools and support here will help you be successful! You and your loved ones will be so thankful for your commitment.
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    "While it sucks that it came down to a diabetes diagnosis to get me here, that diagnosis was very much a blessing in many regards."

I have said the same thing myself, many times.
  • TLEIGH33777
    Options
    @ catzeyes

I missed all of the warning signs, or atributed them to something else.
  • Catzeyes65
    Options
    I was educated and in denial. Trying to gain control again. I want to be around a long time for my kids and grow old with my husband. Easy on some days and harder on others. Diabetes is in my life now but should not be a road block! Maybe more of a motivation at times.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many changes in just 4 months! Your dedication blows me away. Keep up the good work!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Similar situation here regarding new dx of DM2, overweight pretty much my entire life, NO warning signs, had hypertension & cholesterol issues but the dx last month woke me up & got me here.

I'd been a yo yo dieter before, never ate right, it's just me so cookings a big hassle unless I can find single serve recipes. I'm familar with reading labels but this entire carb thing (and all the food I loved seemed to just be all carbs) is a killer. Definitely a challenge working this new bump in the road into my new lifestyle, but I'm taking it one day at a time.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    "While it sucks that it came down to a diabetes diagnosis to get me here, that diagnosis was very much a blessing in many regards."

I have said the same thing myself, many times.

Me too. The only upside to having diabetes is I HAVE to lose weight to get off the meds.
  • JustJenn1980
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story!!

Jenn:flowerforyou:
  • GrAlVt
    GrAlVt Posts: 42
    Options
    Nicely done, but I'm curious that your blood pressure hasn't budged. Pardon me for asking, but what's your sodium intake look like? I'm not sure what your new diet is like, but it seems common that when people start trying to lose weight they buy all these 'healthy' microwavable meals and other easy preps. The problem is that a lot of these are high in sodium, on the order of 400-600 mg per container. If most of your diet is made up of this and other ready made products, it's easy to go over the recommended sodium amounts.

CDC recommends not going over 1500 mg a day, which is hard, but you should be fine if you have less than 2400 mg a day. Problem is that with the kinds of meals I mentioned, it's easy to go well over that, and that's when it'll start to raise your blood pressure. So, my suggestion is, if you want to reduce your blood pressure, sodium intake is the first place to look.
  • maureendarst
    Options
    that is awesome congrats
  • TLEIGH33777
    Options
    Nicely done, but I'm curious that your blood pressure hasn't budged. Pardon me for asking, but what's your sodium intake look like? I'm not sure what your new diet is like, but it seems common that when people start trying to lose weight they buy all these 'healthy' microwavable meals and other easy preps. The problem is that a lot of these are high in sodium, on the order of 400-600 mg per container. If most of your diet is made up of this and other ready made products, it's easy to go over the recommended sodium amounts.

CDC recommends not going over 1500 mg a day, which is hard, but you should be fine if you have less than 2400 mg a day. Problem is that with the kinds of meals I mentioned, it's easy to go well over that, and that's when it'll start to raise your blood pressure. So, my suggestion is, if you want to reduce your blood pressure, sodium intake is the first place to look.

I have been trying to eat clean, but I have my days that I will buy something prepared, but normally I dont.
    I dont eat any microwaved meals, no chinese food, no more table salt. I honestly think its high when I go to the doctors because I really dont want to be there, and I am highly anxious every time I go. But with it happening every time, he put me on the pills. Also, I was told I would be on a low dose regardless to prevent diabetes realated kidney issues.
  • TLEIGH33777
    Options
    that is awesome congrats

Thank You!!