Learning to run

Options
2»

Replies

• anuroopr
    anuroopr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    From what you describe, given that you can walk and bike well enough, but not run at all, for any distance, I have a feeling that there might be a 'mechanical' problem related to the way you run. This could include the running motion itself, the way the feet hit the ground, the right shoes, etc. If the C25K still does not give the results you want, I would certainly recommend you consult a sports therapist.
  • tinahelton
    tinahelton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have never been a "runner" and have played softball since I was 4... I am more of a slow sprinter (lol). I have printed out the C25k and will be starting that at the gym today. Good luck to you!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k from me! Like you, I was never a runner, but I could walk, and walk fast, all day long, no problem. But running was different!

I started c25k in late January of this year and finished in March - I was so shocked that in 9 short weeks I went from not being a runner to being able to run non-stop for 30 minutes/5k. I ran my first 5k race at the end of May and loved it!

Since completing the c25k program I've continued to run 3 days a week, anywhere from 2-4 miles, working on speed and just getting out there. I decided I needed some more focus, so I started the 10k program about 3 weeks ago and it's going well! I've signed up for another 5k in a couple of weeks.

I used a free app for both programs from Zen Labs - c25kFREE and 10k Trainer - both have worked perfectly for me with no issues.

You can do it! Get some good shoes, follow the program and go for it!
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    I recently started a program called run one minute, walk 90 seconds and you do this 8 times for the first week. Then you increase it the second, and so on. I have a heck of a time running as well, but this seems to work well for me. :)
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    Sorry, I meant 8 times each day , 3 times a week (my bad)
  • iwillwin1313
    Options
    Like some others have mentioned, it could be that you're running too fast. Go at a walking pace and see how long that'll hold up, because your muscles may not be used to the motion yet.
    That may also be part of the problem- your muscles aren't used to the motion. It'll get easier with practice, just start slow and build your way up.