What's best 1.Tdee -20%. BMR or MFP & exercise cals

Options
2»

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I do this: Look at your Fitbit 30-day average burn level. Subtract 500-1000 calories, depending on how aggressive you want to attack it. Don't go below 1200. Eat at that level for a month, on average. Don't 'add back', don't try something new, don't even weigh. Just wait a month and then see your result and see if you need to make changes for the next month. If you ate about 500 calories less on average and lost around a pound a week, your estimates are pretty good. There is a graph that shows your 30-day average burn and 30-day average intake in Fitbit, hidden in the 'profile as seen by you' page. I lost 35 lbs. this way.

Good luck!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I prefer the TDEE - 20% for a few reasons.

1 - I have no accurate way of measuring my exercise burn so would not be eating back the right amount of calories.
    If you don't know your exercise burn how do you know what your TDEE is in order to take 20% off it ?
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    These are some very helpful suggestions
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

1 - I have no accurate way of measuring my exercise burn so would not be eating back the right amount of calories.
    If you don't know your exercise burn how do you know what your TDEE is in order to take 20% off it ?

Personally I do it seditary but that's me
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

You don't need to, you as long as you get the initial activity level multiplier correct.

Calories do not have to be adjusted for evey single thing you do, you can eat the same every day and get steady weight loss.

As her original post stated it is by far easier to keep calories constant, do it for 2 weeks then adjust by 100 up or down as necessary.