quit smoking and gained weight

Options
Hi everyone! I am 10 days new to this and could use some help,pointer tips and friends( I have never,ever been into fitness and was naturally on the thinner to average side, I cant tell you what a carb is or protein,sorry to sound like a dumb@ss but I am being honest)
First of all has anyone quit smoking and gained weight? It will be 4 months tomorrow and I have gained almost 20 pounds..Now I know if I can quit a lifelong habit such as smoking dropping the weight should be easy, but its not, for some reason food tastes SO much better now and its all I think about. Second of all, I also started the 30 day shred and now want to add something else, can anyone tell me about Zumba and if its worth the price of the dvd's? Thanks!!

Replies

• deanotoot
    deanotoot Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I GAVE UP SMOKING ON THE 3rd. OF MAY ......HAD TO QUIT DUE TO HAVING STENTS PUT IN BUT ALSO HAD TO CUT DOWN ON MY CALORIC INTAKE SINCE THEN I HAVE LOST A TOTAL OF 19 lbs. IT CAN BE DONE YOU JUST NEED A MIND SET TO DO IT. I JOINED THIS SITE THANKS TO MY HEALTH COACH AND IT SEEMS TO BE HELPING ME ALOT.
    HANG IN THERE IT DOES GET EASIER!:smile:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I quit on Jan 26,2012 cold turkey.In March I had surgery to remove a huge clot in my
    artery.I will never smoke again! I did not gain weight because my Doc told me to walk every day
    For 30 minutes.You can quit without gaining if you commit to a healthier lifestyle. Good luck!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    LOVE ZUMBA NOW THAT I CAN BREATHE!
  • BrendaJaneK
    Options
    The hard part is to not trade one habit (smoking) for another (over-eating). I doubt this will be a problem for you because you are recognizing it so early and making changes - good for you!

I quit 23 years ago. I'd ask you not to be too hard on yourself while your body adjusts. Not only will food taste better but your body is now getting more from your food.

Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself!!

From what you are describing you are starting a fantastic life-style change! Congratulations and be proud!!!

Best,

Brenda
  • heather072189
    heather072189 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I quit 2 years ago on May 23rd due to having a miscarriage and decided I didn't want to have it happen again. But I put on like 10lbs and now I'm slowly losing it. I've lost like 7 lbs since April of this year so I'm doing good.Pretty excited. I'm wanting to get down to my normal weight of 120lbs. :-) Good luck to all of you out there. It's hard but definitively a mood booster!
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and gained maybe 10 pounds. But I think it was because this was my second time quitting. The first time I gained probably a good 20 - 30 lbs.. It sucks but it could be worse. They say the day you quit, you gain about 1 year of life vs not quitting. I'm sure thats an over-exageration but oh well lol
  • mlynn1018
    mlynn1018 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel better already and knowing I am not alone with these issues actually helps me to be even more motivated. Surely if we all kicked the worse habit out there, this should be a piece of cake..oh wait I mean fruit..lol
    ~~Congrats to all of you who have quit smoking and who are on the road to good health..
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 2 years ago and gained 63 lbs. I traded cigarettes for chocolate and that was the wrong thing to do. I used to weigh 120 and got to 183. My biggest problem was that I'd get on the scale and decide 10 lbs isn't much, I'll deal with it later. The fact that you're stepping up now and taking care of It is awesome!! I really wish I had done same!