Replies

• rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Can you work p/t at a bakery?

Maybe you can start your own business?! :happy:
  • TracySchroeder
    Options
    I'm a professional baker/cake decorator and understand where you're coming from. I bake ALL the time! I bake so much, though, that I can't stand to eat anything I bake!! LOL When I owned a bakery the thought of donuts, buttercream and cake made me sick to my stomach. BUT, others don't feel that way in my home. They eat and eat when I bake and have leftovers. So, I've changed how I bake. I've learned to make healthier options. And I scale my recipes down to only make one serving per person. This helps with food costs, too!!
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Girl, I get it. Sometimes you just want to enjoy food and not think about anything else!
    Actually, your new diet is a wonderful opportunity for you to discover new recipes, even make new ones up. Start baking with whole grains.... there are so many cool options. Research the healthiest grains. Instead of sugar try Stevia? Instead of chocolate try all types of different fruits, fresh and dried. Look at this as a fun thing and create new fun recipes.
    Just because you are dieting doesn't mean your hobby should go out the window. There is nothing wrong with baked goods. Just make healthier ones and eat in moderation.
    Good luck! :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Direct your love for baking towards cooking healthy meals for yourself and your family. I too love baking, and cooking too, and that is what I am doing.
    I will continue to bake treats at Christmas though. It is a tradition and we give a lot away anyway. I could never stop Christmas Baking. I will just not sample as much.
    It is sad :(
    But, getting healthy is worth it.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I never used to bake but since changing my eating habits I find I bake and often. I find heathier recipes of the food that I maybe would have bought occasionally and try those. This stops me from reaching from the pre-prepared rubbish when shopping or out and about. Rather than have a packet of crisps daily like I used to I have a slice of healthy wholemeal banana and walnut bread or a wholemeal Blueberry Muffin. I know exactly what has gone into the food, the calories, fat and fibre content.

I've also discovered that I love to bake and so often bake up a big batch of things and share some of it with my colleagues at work as thank yous or with friends, I notice you said you probably couldn't afford that unfortunatly, they do go down really rather well!

A great website to check out for ideas is www.skinnytaste.com if you are a baker already you could probably adapt at a lot of the recipes you used to bake to be healthier versions just by adjusting a few ingridients.
  • LisaEileen
    LisaEileen Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I really miss making bread. I used to make 2 loaves at least every 2 days. Now it's just too much of a temptation. There's no way I could make it and not eat more than one slice with a load of butter on it.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love baking too, and echo what others have said
    -finding healthy subsitutes: applesuace, oats, flax, almond milk/flour etc) I've found its almost a fun challenge to see how much healthier of a version I can make
    -freezing
    -taking to coworkers
    you could even make money from baking by selling baked goods!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I have a fully stocked kitchen for baking, but I can't even eat the baked goods anymore due to a gluten intolerance. Baking was a stress reliever for me and made me so happy (although i never ate too much of it).

I have replaced my baking with cooking. I cook everything I can from scratch and take time to create yummy, healthy meals. I have also started a blog with recipes that fit my new way of eating. Sharing my creations with others, even if its only through pictures and recipes makes me happy :)
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just had the most delicious red velvet cupcakes, made with apple-sauce. I also have a friend who make the BEST rolls and breads out of ancient grains and organic flours. How about a batch of whole wheat pizza dough? Perfection in baked goods can be enjoyed as a healthy alternative. Also try some healthy quiches or pies with your homemade pie crust.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I bake a loaf of bread every two days, and I'm still losing weight. I use this recipe: http://www.brokeandhealthy.com/homemade-oatmeal-bread

I'm still tweaking substitutions to get the perfect bread for our house and to keep us from getting too bored with eating and baking the same bread. My base recipe is 55 calories per ounce, and most variations keep around those calories. I'm having a lot of fun finding the healthy stuff to bake, and I very occasionally bring out my old cookie recipe. The healthy recipes are out there, and you can keep all of the old pleasure of balancing out your version of a recipe.