80/10/10

Options
ProTFitness
ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
Is anyone out there doing this?

I have been on it for 6 weeks and loving it!

Eating 2000-2500 calories a day on fruits and veggies and i have lost 5 lbs.

:bigsmile:

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Some days I get close to this I'm sure, especially in the summer when I eat cherries and blueberries by the pound. But long term the fat allowance just isn't enough for my Mediterranean leanings.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    You need a minimum amount of fat in your diet and long-term you will have negative health effects by not eating enough fat or protein.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Not that I am knocking your choice, but I would have to agree with Skinnylion, plus healthy fats will help you lose weight, help with (certain) vitamin retention & have anti depressant capabilities. Not to mention the benefits of protein!

Russ
  • lisaslim1976
    lisaslim1976 Posts: 145
    Options
    You need a minimum amount of fat in your diet and long-term you will have negative health effects by not eating enough fat or protein.

My thoughts exactly!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The last time someone mentioned this, I went and looked it up on amazon. I'd cautiously suggest you might want to read some of the 1-star reviews from people who'd actually tried it before deciding this is your life's plan.

That being said, most of the issues they ran into were in the long-term.
  • AmyVC123
    AmyVC123 Posts: 13
    Options
    what is this?? 80/10/10??
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    what is this?? 80/10/10??
    It's a diet of sugar, with protein so low you lose muscle rapidly.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    How do you get to 2000 calories eating just fruit and veggies?? That's an enormous amount of fruit and veggies...
  • mielchat
    mielchat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As much as I would love to live on fruit and vegetables (especially while in France...omg the produce here is amazing), I do agree that you need fats and proteins. It's best to be balanced.
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    I have read and research this before I started it and people live like this and thrive this way. I get all the healthy fat i need from avocado and proteins from my veggies and fruits.

Anyone who knows nothing about it should reasearch it in detail before making comments on something they have no Idea on
  • jakeycork
    jakeycork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Could of lost that amount with 40/40/20 and stayed sane. Unlucky.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I have read and research this before I started it and people live like this and thrive this way. I get all the healthy fat i need from avocado and proteins from my veggies and fruits.

Just throwing this out there. There may be some cultures that thrive on 80/10/10, but if you are talking about the Okinawans . . . this is misinformation. People trying to make money off their own projections of the Okinawan diet have morphed it into something it really isn't. They love their pork and lard.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/hara-hachi-bu/
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Well, that sounds like fun if you aren't diabetic or hypothyroid . . .
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    Well, that sounds like fun if you aren't diabetic or hypothyroid . . .
    '

This way of eating heals both those issues
  • chichealthy
    chichealthy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ProTFitness: awesome job! Clearly, people who don't know that almost all fruits and veggies contain protein and fat (and that the #1 source of "protein" for the majority of Americans is mostly fat: chicken) shouldn't probably give advice. Hope you're still doing well!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Any diet endorsed by DurianRider is laughable, alike to himself.

This diet is a crash diet, and a dangerous one. Avoid,
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Knowing how my body reacts to not enough protein or fat or starch. This would work for about 1 day for me. Then I'd be ready to eat my arm.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    my ideal diet is fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, virgin oils and meat.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Knowing how my body reacts to not enough protein or fat or starch. This would work for about 1 day for me. Then I'd be ready to eat my arm.

Something you should try to overcome possibly? there will be a few days of mental pain, but after that, it just gets easier.

Also - adding more veggies in the diet & removing as much (if not ALL) processed foods is the best idea for optimal health weither you eat meat or not. I don't think anyone could disagree with that. This extreme wouldn't work for me because I enjoy coconuts and olive oil. the 10% fat seems like I would have to limit too extreme.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    JJ - stop giving advice.

OP - how did this end up working out for you? "Anyone who knows nothing about it should reasearch it in detail before making comments on something they have no Idea on." Do you feel you have more of an idea now about it?