What restaurants do you go to that serve healthy food?

Options

Replies

• bcw660816
    bcw660816 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I agree with Applebee's, Bob Evans, and Subway. I love when the menu's identify what their healthy options are. I ate at Colton's Steakhouse yesterday for the first time, and their menu identified choices with 700 calories or less. I added a side salad and ate one roll (which I don't normally do, but was celebrating) and I came in at about 1000 calories. A little on the high side, but for a once in a while dinner acceptable. Always ask for no additional salt to be added. I don't know if they add or not, but it is always well seasoned. The one time I forgot recently at Applebee's my broccoli was WAY too salty.

I recently found myself at Cracker Barrel and was flying blind as they don't list nutritional values online. They have a low carb menu, but I count calories and I know low carb does NOT mean low cal. I chose spicy grilled catfish, mashed potatoes (no gravy), green beans, and side salad with low fat honey mustard dressing. When I figured calories later it came in at less than 600 calories, which I thought was great. I'll definitely eat this meal again as their is always a Cracker Barrel around when traveling.

I have never tried Longhorn or Outback, but will definitely consider them in the future. I have eaten at Red Lobster once since I started my lifestyle change last year and perused the menu ahead of time so was good to go. Their cheddar biscuits are sooo tempting, though.

Have you tried www.healthydiningfinder.com? This gives some good tips. Is easily accessible from your phone, also.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with Subway. Footlong turkey breast on wheat bread, with lettuce, onions, and sweet onion sauce (because otherwise it's too dry, and the sauce is on MFP and not as bad as I'd thought it would be). Eat half for lunch, the other half for dinner :)

Buffalo Wild Wings has a blackened chicken salad that is really good, and I eat it with no dressing, just lettuce mix and chicken. My boyfriend is a BWW addict, so I've had to get creative to stay healthier. If I want an appetizer, we split chips and salsa.

If I'm stuck with fast food as my options (I'm a college student that commutes), I try to find a Wendys so I can get an Apple-Pecan Chicken Salad, with no cheese on it, and only use half the pecans and one packet of dressing. It's 400ish calories with the grilled chicken breast, and filling, for the full size.

As for restaurants I stay away from...McDonalds, anywhere with pizza, Olive Garden (darn those breadsticks!), and Applebees/Ruby Tuesdays. Pizza has always been my weakness, Olive Garden and those breadsticks gets me every time, Applebees and Ruby Tuesdays usually makes me sick to my stomach, no matter what I eat, Mcdonalds is self-explanitory...
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you people choose to spend money at Applebee's, barf. If it comes down to that just cook for yourself.

Seriously. I can't believe I'm about to type this but you can eat better, for both your health and your dollar, at most fast food places than you can at Applebee's.
    Who cares?
    Nobody goes to Applebee's for a healthy meal. When I go, I want to PARTY!
    No rules, restrictions or worries.
    Life is to be lived.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you people choose to spend money at Applebee's, barf. If it comes down to that just cook for yourself.

Seriously. I can't believe I'm about to type this but you can eat better, for both your health and your dollar, at most fast food places than you can at Applebee's.
    Who cares?
    Life is to be lived.

Okay Bobby, but the food at Applebee's tastes like crap.
  • grapegirl1
    grapegirl1 Posts: 22
    Options
    Stay out of chain restaurants! The food is loaded with Sodium. Try a real restaurant with a chef (chef owners are more accountable) that serves local organic made to order food. Pay a little more and enjoy! (think of all the diet crap you've probably bought in the past an justify).
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Chilis...skinny patron Rita's (110 cals each...and awesome) And I order a double side salad. Basicly a small salad on a big plate. Heaven. I swear!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    In So Cal I like El Pollo Loco...just don't get fries or tortillas. Also avoid the churros or ice cream. Usually I'll eat a 3 piece with pinto beans and corn cob or side salad, and a glass of water. You can take the skin off if you are really hard core.
  • skirtlongjacket
    skirtlongjacket Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Who cares?
    Life is to be lived.

I just meant because the food is nasty! I can just as easily defrost and overcook my own frozen food, but granted I have to go to the restaurant if I want to see 16 year olds fight over who's turn it ISN'T to take a table. Applebee's is the worst, I do not understand that place!
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I ate at Chipotle last week. The sodium is a lot higher when you eat out than when you cook on your own, but... I had a veggie burrito bowl with brown rice, pinto beans, fajita veggies, salsa, lettuce and 1/2 of a side of guac and it was under 500 calories. Very filling and very tasty.
  • Leslie715
    Leslie715 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like Genghis Grill. You get to pick your own proteins and veggies PLUS your seasonings... so you control the sodium. They also have a great skinny rita as well. If we go out, we tend to go there -- or Ruby Tuesdays with the huge salad bar and grilled fish.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I like IHOP..great low calorie choices. Usually only eat out for breakfast and their veggie omelet with fruit is great. I know they have several options for lunch and dinner..just haven't tried them yet.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Applebees
  • lizmil79
    Options
    subway too
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    I'm in Minneapolis, MN and I go to Mongo's. It's AMAZING! It's stirfy! Fresh veggies, soooo yummy!
  • lizmil79
    Options
    I like Applebee's weigh watcher meals
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan ( I did try it for six weeks, felt great, lost weight) but I still visit vegan restaurants from time to time just because I still try to get a lot of veggies into my diet and I have no qualms in making some meals entirely out of veggies.

If you are ever in the mindset that you just need to sit down in some place where you can't really make a wrong choice from the menu, or if you just want to break up the monotony and try something new, go to a vegan restaurant.
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Chili's has a 'lite fare' menu that is great! Everything is under 750 but most are around 450-600 and a LOT of food. Love the grilled chicken salad!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Who cares?
    Life is to be lived.
    THIS. I don't go out to eat to eat "healthy". I can do that at home!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I like Chipotle Chicken bowl with little or no rice (depends on the rest of my day), lots of black beans, and salsa. I also like sushi especially sashimi, miso soup and edamame.