favorite salad dressing?

Options
what is your favorite "go to" all purpose salad dressing recipe?

i'm bored with bottled (unhealthy) low fat thousand island. i need to switch it up with something new and healthy.

Replies

• dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with just a bit of olive oil and some vinegar. Some basilikum or parsley or other seasoning herbs give it nice flavour.

I also tried lettuce with plain yogurt and loved it.
  • mappy
    mappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello angl1216!

If you can afford it, buy a very good aged balsamic vinegar, that is richer and a bit thicker than the less expensive brands. Usually the taste is bold and full with less bite, but more flavor, especially if you get one infused with something special.

I then add LOTS of herbs and spices, but no OIL.

Here's another: Whir some fat free feta cheese, a dash of non fat milk, lots of herbs and spices, in a food processor for a few seconds. Add more milk if need so it is pourable.

Remember: a tablespoon of oil has 14 grams of fat. If your fat gram limit is around 30 grams or so, that one tablespoon equates to over 1/3 of your limit. Try one of these recipes on days that you cannot do any cardio to burn off those extra 14 grams of fat.
    :flowerforyou:
  • hgirl1021
    Options
    mmm this is a good question. i grew up being a blue cheese girl (nothing worse right?):noway: once i found out how bad that was, we parted ways...i love going to japanese/hibatchi restaurants where they serve the salad with the ginger dressing. then i found it. it was love at first sight, sitting in the produce section. Makoto Ginger dressing. mmmmm. my favorite!:wink:
  • Boston01810
    Boston01810 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I like the Newman's Spray aalad dressings. There are several kinds and they are all one calorie a spray.

For a homemade dressing, I like: olive oil, pear juice, and dijon mustard.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I often use a small amount of Kraft light 3-cheese ranch.... but What I really like to use for flavor in my salads isn't dressing at all! I use one or all of: mild yellow pepper rings, olive muffuletta spread, pickles, gardeniera - and plain old wine or balsamic vinegar.
  • angl421
    Options
    thanx to everyone for all the great suggestions.

i am going to try them all.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    mmm this is a good question. i grew up being a blue cheese girl (nothing worse right?):noway: once i found out how bad that was, we parted ways...i love going to japanese/hibatchi restaurants where they serve the salad with the ginger dressing. then i found it. it was love at first sight, sitting in the produce section. Makoto Ginger dressing. mmmmm. my favorite!:wink:

When I want my blue cheese dressing I order it on the side and dip my fork in it. I can eat my entire salad and end up using 1/2 tbls of dressing.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Garlic expressions. It's an all pupose marinade, sauce, and dressing. It's a vinegiarette with tons of herbs and actual garlic cloves inside. It was an impulse buy when they were taste testing it on some heirloom tomatoes at Fresh Market. It was more expensive than say, Kraft; it was about $4.50 but totally worth it. Please buy this! Oh any only 45 cals a tablespoon I think!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My new fave is Newman's Own Parmesan & Roasted Garlic.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    2-3 tsp walnut or olive oil
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp mustard, dijon or regular
    salt, pepper.

Gotta have a little fat to absorb vitamins ADEK!

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/otc-center/otc-medicines/863.html
  • mappy
    mappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you can't decided between the Makoto Ginger Dressing & Garlic Expressions...know this....

If you normally have two tablespoons of dressing on your salad then the Ginger Dressing is the better choice when it comes to calories and fat grams.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    hidden valley ranch. i make it fit .but soon i"ll be going diet all the way.garlic salt and pepper
  • angl421
    Options
    thanx for all the great suggestions