Help Please - read my diary!

Options

Replies

• Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough.....Don't go under 1200 calories.....If you exercise...eat 1/2 of those calories too....Eat girl...eat!!! :)
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Good sources of protein

Grilled/Steamed Chicken or Fish (Salmon or Trout are especially good), Griddled Halloumi Cheese in some extra virgin Olive Oil, Cashews, Almonds and Walnuts are good also. Switch from anything white to anything brown (Bread, Rice, Pasta).
    Also restrict your Carb intake after Lunch.
  • SandraD89
    SandraD89 Posts: 809
    Options
    Get a protein shake, or eat fish. i do both and i make sure i get at least 1200 calories a day
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    More protein: you need to be eating way more than 50g/day. Add in eggs, fish, cheeses or even protein powder if necessary. Maybe try alternating to Greek yogurt, too-- it's much higher in protein.

Also, you do need more fat, most likely. Whole, natural fats (avocado, grapeseed oil, olive oil, even butter) would be a good addition. Margarine is nothing but chemicals.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    Could eat

Beans
    Nuts

they would help you on protein.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You don't eat enough, and u don't get enough protein!

As I stated - I have not added any snacks as of yet - open to suggestions. I normally have snacks after workouts - but I haven't done them yet.

I don't just mean today, u do loads of exercise but don't eat back any of your exercise cals so you are netting only a couple of hundred calories which is not healthy when u only have a small amount of weight to lose.

This.

I've seen low nets or just low totals. You need to eat more. MFP already sets you at a deficit. If you don't eat your exercise calories back, you are netting WAY too low. Even on non-workout days, you need to eat more. <3:)
  • FULTZ10
    FULTZ10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am noticing a trend - a lot of people are telling me my protein is low. The problem with that is that I usually only eat meat on the weekends. Any other reccomendations for good sources of protein?

Thanks!

Greek yogurt is great. You do need protein, at least your goal. It is probably also a good idea to eat within 100 calories to you goal. I love to be under my goal but nowhere that low under my goal. BTW since you have that many calories peanut butter + spoon = YUMMY and it has protein.

Best wishes:smile:
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad thing to go through veggies quickly when you have them in the house! Definitely buy them more.

There are lots of threads on here about vegetarian protein sources. Here are some suggestions for your meat-free, or low-meat days:
    Yogurt (which you already seem to eat often, but some have more protein than others. Try Chobani Greek yogurt instead.)
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Cheeses
    Lentils and Beans (black, kidney, garbanzo, pinto, etc.)
    Tofu
    Seitan (wheat protein)
    Tempeh
    Peanuts & peanut butter
    Tree nuts & seeds

And since you're not actually a vegetarian: fish
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just doing a mass reply cause a lot of you are saying the same things.

First of all thank you! Definitley writing a grocery list based off of this. I know that my calorie intake is low and all I can really say is that I am sorry. I try not to eat back all of my exercise calories because I know that counters aren't always accurate - but I will try to eat more. The fruit vs. veggie thing is a good pointer too - I can't change it too much today as I am at work and do not get home until later - but hopefully tomorrow you will see a big change!

Again, a big thanks to everyone so far, I did NOT expect so many people to respond!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I just noticed your food notes - you're taking what the calculator says you will weigh in 5 weeks if you keep eating at those levels. Please know that the calculator doesn't factor in whether or not you are adequately fueling your workouts. Do some reading about eating back some of your exercise calories - I know there's a lot of contradictory opinions, but you'd be better informed and far less likely to damage your metabolism than just going by that calculated weight loss projection at the end of the day. It lies!

Besides, weight (the scale) is NOT the best measure of your progress. :flowerforyou:
  • lemasney
    lemasney Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Can I get some opinions on my diary so far today? I have logged everything but snacks - and I've only eaten my breakfast...anything else can be changed. Looking for any suggestions or opnions. Thanks!!!

You're only eating about half your calories, but I think the stuff you are eating looks pretty good. No flags for me, though you should be eating more than this in a day. 1200 cals is about as low as I would go even without exercise, though maybe you are an especially tiny person?
  • DinahKyle
    Options
    Can I get some opinions on my diary so far today? I have logged everything but snacks - and I've only eaten my breakfast...anything else can be changed. Looking for any suggestions or opnions. Thanks!!!

You're only eating about half your calories, but I think the stuff you are eating looks pretty good. No flags for me, though you should be eating more than this in a day. 1200 cals is about as low as I would go even without exercise, though maybe you are an especially tiny person?

Lol - definitley not a tiny person. 5'8 and roughly 147lbs. I do try to eat at least 1200 by the end of the day - this is just pre-planned food.
  • DinahKyle
    Options
    I just noticed your food notes - you're taking what the calculator says you will weigh in 5 weeks if you keep eating at those levels. Please know that the calculator doesn't factor in whether or not you are adequately fueling your workouts. Do some reading about eating back some of your exercise calories - I know there's a lot of contradictory opinions, but you'd be better informed and far less likely to damage your metabolism than just going by that calculated weight loss projection at the end of the day. It lies!

Besides, weight (the scale) is NOT the best measure of your progress. :flowerforyou:

Yes, I know that the scale is not a friend. Used it today - especially during certain weeks in the month - so basically women should ignore it altogether haha.

I do the calculations more as a mental note though - I can tell that it is not accurate - I just like keeping track of what it seems to think.
  • DinahKyle
    Options
    I am noticing a trend - a lot of people are telling me my protein is low. The problem with that is that I usually only eat meat on the weekends. Any other reccomendations for good sources of protein?

Thanks!

Greek yogurt is great. You do need protein, at least your goal. It is probably also a good idea to eat within 100 calories to you goal. I love to be under my goal but nowhere that low under my goal. BTW since you have that many calories peanut butter + spoon = YUMMY and it has protein.

Best wishes:smile:

Then perhaps greek yogurt + peanut butter would be even better!
  • DinahKyle
    Options

As I stated - I have not added any snacks as of yet - open to suggestions. I normally have snacks after workouts - but I haven't done them yet.

I don't just mean today, u do loads of exercise but don't eat back any of your exercise cals so you are netting only a couple of hundred calories which is not healthy when u only have a small amount of weight to lose.

My only worry is that if I eat back my calories and the counter isn't correct then I may be over-eating.
  • DinahKyle
    Options
    It's not a bad thing to go through veggies quickly when you have them in the house! Definitely buy them more.

There are lots of threads on here about vegetarian protein sources. Here are some suggestions for your meat-free, or low-meat days:
    Yogurt (which you already seem to eat often, but some have more protein than others. Try Chobani Greek yogurt instead.)
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Cheeses
    Tofu
    Seitan (wheat protein)
    Tempeh
    Peanuts & peanut butter
    Tree nuts & seeds

Pretty much taking this to the grocery store with me - my only thing is that I can't find Chobani Greek yogurt...I feel like I've looked everywhere :(
  • thefunone70
    thefunone70 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    protein...meat, peanut butter, eggs
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options

My only worry is that if I eat back my calories and the counter isn't correct then I may be over-eating.

But you ARE moving and exercising. Not eating any of them back is causing you to drastically under-eat. You should eat at least 1/2 to 3/4 of them back. That leaves a bit of buffer room for accuracy.

It also isn't just on exercise days. You are way under on non-exercise days too. You should be eating at least 1200 at a minimum every day, preferably more. You don't have a lot to lose (thus your goal should be set around 0.5lb/week rather than say 2lbs), you are taller, and you should be eating more than 1200. However, shoot for at least 1200 since you seem to be struggling with it. :)

A good way to get some easy cals and protein and good fats in is nuts. It should make it easier to hit your goal. I like vanilla greek yogurt with a 1/4cup of almonds. Yum.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Cheeses
    Tofu
    Seitan (wheat protein)
    Tempeh
    Peanuts & peanut butter
    Tree nuts & seeds

Pretty much taking this to the grocery store with me - my only thing is that I can't find Chobani Greek yogurt...I feel like I've looked everywhere :(

Glad to help with your shopping list. :happy: That's too bad about the Chobani. I'm not usually into yogurt with fruit already mixed in, but theirs are effing amazing. I bet you'd love the pineapple one! Maybe look for Oikos, or Fage, then? They are the other tasty brands at my grocery store, the Chobani is just my favorite.
  • DinahKyle
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But you ARE moving and exercising. Not eating any of them back is causing you to drastically under-eat. You should eat at least 1/2 to 3/4 of them back. That leaves a bit of buffer room for accuracy.

It also isn't just on exercise days. You are way under on non-exercise days too. You should be eating at least 1200 at a minimum every day, preferably more. You don't have a lot to lose (thus your goal should be set around 0.5lb/week rather than say 2lbs), you are taller, and you should be eating more than 1200. However, shoot for at least 1200 since you seem to be struggling with it. :)

A good way to get some easy cals and protein and good fats in is nuts. It should make it easier to hit your goal. I like vanilla greek yogurt with a 1/4cup of almonds. Yum.
    [/quote]

Actually have some almonds at home from a baking night a while ago - will be sure to grab some GREEK yogurt tonight. Thanks :)