Losing weight too fast?

Options
2»

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1300 to 1500 on average and not really exercising at all. My diary is open for all to see if you like.

On the surface without looking too hard, it appears to me that you are probably ok at this point. Here is the deal -- you are morbidly obese... (I have been there ... this in no wise is meant as an offensive statement)... When you are at this level, it is ok (I think) to lose weight rapidly... This is as long as you are consuming enough to maintain your weight at the weight you care to attain... SO if you are let's say 5'4" and want to weigh 130 but are currently let's say 320.. @ 320 lbs your BMR is about 2076 calories per day... BUT at 130 (your goal weight) it is 1215 calories per day... In other words, naturally, your body is burning an extra 1050 calories per day... just to maintain your size... Therefore, you can easily lose weight faster when you first start than you will be able when you get closer to your goal.

Also, you indicated that you have dropped drinking a lot of soda... This may have caused an initial flush of water weight as you first began your life change. As you progress, you will notice that you will have to do more to continue losing weight... You will not maintain this rate of loss as you progress toward your goal.. If you do, then I would think there is a problem somewhere...

Moving forward I would suggest...

1. Begin at least some light aerobic exercise. When you are ready, begin some toning exercises to help build muscle mass and strength. Those of us who have been morbidly obese fight the tendency to have hanging skin... This can be helped by water intake, slower progress moving forward and by weight training. It is less about losing weight and much more about a healthy lifestyle.

2. Do not be discouraged when your progress slows down.. This SHOULD happen and is a good thing. As you approach your goal, you should go to about a 2 lb per week loss then maybe a 1 lb per week loss.. This is normal and a good thing.

3. Eat plenty of protein in your diet to maintain muscle mass.

Best wishes on your journey.. .You are off to a great start. You can do this. Keep up the great work.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    you have a lot to lose, so it will come off quicker.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My doctor is monitoring me very closely and he said he is very happy with my progress. And I really do know it will slow down. I don't care how slow it goes as long as I keep getting healthier.

Great job! Right attitude, check. Monitored by Dr., check. Realistic expectations, check. Sounds like all is good in your world!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I know that it is recommended to lose weight slowly in order to keep it off. I look at my own loss (23 pounds in 30 days) and worry that maybe its coming off too fast. I haven't done anything rediculous, though my change in eating habits has been drastic simply because I was eating so badly before. My job keeps me running so hard without breaks that I found it next to impossible to eat at work, then I would grab fast food (super sized of course) on my way home at 1 am and scarf it down before going to sleep. Then I was sleeping till noon and maybe eating something before I left for work or (again) grabbing some takeout on the way to eat quickly before I started work. The only liquids I ever drank was diet pop and I drank a lot of it (minimum 2 L a day). On May 30 I went cold turkey. I gave up all liquids except water and have had nothing but water ever since (I'm finding I actually like it now and don't miss the pop at all). I am also eating a lot more food now, every two hours no matter what I am doing (I have made a habit of bringing snacks with me everywhere I go). I cut out junk food completely and don't miss that one bit either. I'm finding I am never hungry any more, I'm liking the healthy food a lot more than the junk food and I'm feeling healthier than I have in years.

My question is...if I am eating and feeling great and not craving or hungry ever, is the weight loss still too fast? I want to lose the weight but I also want to be doing it right.

No, I don't believe it's been too fast. Everything is relative. You started at 345: 23 lbs. is 6.6%. This would be like someone who is 160 lbs. dropping to 150 lbs. in one month. What's more, a lot of that initial weight is water weight because you've cut back on your carbohydrate intake -- sugar, in particular. For each gram of carbohydrates we eat, our bodies retain 3 to 4 grams of water. You're not holding as much water as you did when you were drinking soda and eating lots of carbs which metabolize quickly into glucose.