Running is bad for you?

Options
A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook, and I couldn't help but shake my head at some of the misinformation this 'personal trainer' spouted as fact. I enjoyed reading some of the comments at the bottom of the article more than the article itself. Personally, I think he just doesn't enjoy running himself, and since running is basically 'free', he, and other personal trainers, are losing money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1297579/Running-risk-It-cause-cellulite-heart-attacks-joint-strain--time-stop-jogging.html

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You hear a lot of cr** about running from personal trainers.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's in the Daily Mail. It is therefore, by definition, going to be alarmist nonsense.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Oh and "To Brookes, the answer is simple: high-intensity training." Gosh... I wonder what wares Brookes might be pedalling?

Of course PTs aren't generally going to like running, because it's rather harder to 'sell' running as a product. It's something we can all do, read about, join a club to support....
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love running. So I guess I'm in big trouble.
  • DomNavarro1
    Options
    The entire article seems like entire non-sense, and i am not at all biased for i rarely run but i make up for that doing other cardio vascular activities. What i love the most is that none of this info seems to be backed by any real scientific observations or experiments, the entire article all I seem to hear this trainer stating is that "I'm probably right in my notions so pay to be trained by me." Also i believe muscle "wastage" would only happen if someone ran for over 2 hours straight but even then i think the muscle in your legs would be deteriorated. Then again I could be wrong i'm no expert or scientist. So if i'm wrong go easy on me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What a pile of crap.......this Brookes character is an idiot.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Metabolic disturbance eh?

When am I going to get my own pseudo medical buzz words?

Too much of anything will kill you.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. Enough said.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I'm going for a run in a moment. I'll alert the medics, just in case my heart starts to shrink....
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    quite funny that the runner-models in the two pics both look lean and without an inch of cellulite on them!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a run in a moment. I'll alert the medics, just in case my heart starts to shrink....

You are really funny! Yeah, I thought that statement was a little 'out there', too. But I have to say that my favorite thing about this article is that Brookes claims that running can actually make you fat, but both pictures show a thin, female runner.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Weren't we (humans) hunter-gatherers at one time? I guess those buffalo came to us?

And yes, your body will become more efficient when you keep a running regime... or any exercise regime. That's why a lot of exercise gurus have multiple "levels" to your work out... the same thing over and over becomes less difficult to sustain over time.

The point of fact is that yes, running can be hard on your joints over time, and so can being fat. Shouldn't we be writing more articles on the benefits of running- or any exercise- instead of an opposition to it?
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ha! Look at his suggestion of "proper exercise"

'There are lots of ways to do intensity training,' says Brookes. 'Warm up for five minutes, then run hard for 30 seconds, then jog or walk for 90 seconds.

Running and jogging!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Rubbish. I'm 50 years old and run as much as 7 miles in the morning. That doesn't bother my joints or cause other problems. If I eat the wrong stuff though I'll get inflammation, sometimes even in my joints.
  • camelid2
    camelid2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    One of the gym trainers fussed at me for running on a treadmill vs. outside. Oh, because running in 105 degree weather right now is better than on the treadmill?!? Pffftttt.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love running. So I guess I'm in big trouble.

Same here. :laugh:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Ha! Look at his suggestion of "proper exercise"

'There are lots of ways to do intensity training,' says Brookes. 'Warm up for five minutes, then run hard for 30 seconds, then jog or walk for 90 seconds.

Running and jogging!

Penny: Wh-what?
    Sheldon: [glaring at Leonard] He's engaging in reductio ad absurdum.
    Penny: [speechless]
    Sheldon: It's the logical fallacy of extending someone's argument to ridiculous proportions and then criticizing the result. And I do not appreciate it.
  • meerkat70
    Options

And yes, your body will become more efficient when you keep a running regime... or any exercise regime. That's why a lot of exercise gurus have multiple "levels" to your work out... the same thing over and over becomes less difficult to sustain over time.

I think one of the reasons that criticisms of running annoy me so much is that they tend to presume that runners are always doing *the same thing*. A well designed running programme will include varying distances and speeds, intervals, hills.... So it's not really the same thing over and over anyway. :-)
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I think one of the reasons that criticisms of running annoy me so much is that they tend to presume that runners are always doing *the same thing*. A well designed running programme will include varying distances and speeds, intervals, hills.... So it's not really the same thing over and over anyway. :-)

Oh, I guess I didn't write this clearly enough. I wasn't implying that runners just do the same thing all the time. I don't run so I can't make that call. I was trying to point out the fallacy in his logic, and that if any exercise becomes repetitive, it will eventually be less effective. That's why runners start out with short runs and can eventually run for miles- because their body becomes more efficient.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    no no, you wrote it fine - I didn't think you were implying that. I was just making a related but different point.