I know you can't spot reduce...but....

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
I am technically underweight for my height, but I am also a classic example of skinny fat. I gained 8-9lbs in the past few months, which is good, but some of that also went on my belly of course, which is now looking softer than I would like...so how do i fix this? Esp when the rest of me is getting more built, but it still on the skinny side? I am currently eating at maintenance and am about to start p90x...I will eat back my calories, but should I eat at a slight deficit, to try to lower my fat? eat at a surplus to gain muscle? Eat at the same level? Eat More/less fat, less carbs, more protein?

I am so confused by all the info I am finding as I simply don't fit the classic "user" my metabolism is just very fast. I want a slim fit belly, with out losing weight on the rest of me.

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    BUMP.

I want to know too. I have the exact same problem!
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    Sorry to be no help but bump as well, I'm technically a fine BMI (verging on udnerweight) but I have belly/thigh flab that I hate and I want to get more toned, but I'm so small losing weight is really hard D:
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is not for everybody, but you can give carb cycling a try.

In a nut shell, it's a way to trick your body to burn fat for energy, while sparing the muscles.

Scooby, one of my favorite youtube-fitness sane people, has a great video shortly describing it, and he also has a quick free tool on his website to figure out the details (cals and ratios).

Here's the website: http://scoobysworkshop.com/advanced-fat-loss-carb-cycling/
    Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIuBsXsJ8VY

You don't have to follow his exact meal plan, if you know somewhat what you're doing. You can just take the cals and ratios and make up your own plan, the biggest thing IMHO would be to stick to complex carbs.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Does P90X have an eating plan? I would think many users of P90X would be in your shoes.

I have a feeling the answer for you is going to be eat more to try to build some muscle. Then if you're not happy after P90X with your body fat %, you might try a reduction phase. I'm not sure, though. Good luck!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You lose inches from your waist by losing body fat overall.
    And as you mentioned, you really can't target certain body areas or spot reduce fat.

Doing ab and core work will tone muscle for sure, and toned muscles look better than flabby muscle.
    That might be good for a half inch or so in your waist if that.
    That's not what people like to hear, but that's just reality.

So, as is already mentioned, cardio along with solid resistance.
    In other words, the same simple formula which is proper diet and exercise.

That's it.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers,

@Akusto, I know you have told me this before :blushing: ...damn I wish I wasn't so scared to give up some of my carbs! (breads and pastas!) They are my bulk food and help so much with my calorie count! But I also like the idea of the zig-zaging.

@mcarter, Yes they do have an eating plan, But I'm a little worried by how high the protein would be for me when I eat so high, it would be 200g which is 2,5g per lean body mass for me!.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers,

@Akusto, I know you have told me this before :blushing: ...damn I wish I wasn't so scared to give up some of my carbs! (breads and pastas!) They are my bulk food and help so much with my calorie count! But I also like the idea of the zig-zaging.

@mcarter, Yes they do have an eating plan, But I'm a little worried by how high the protein would be for me when I eat so high, it would be 200g which is 2,5g per lean body mass for me!.

Just follow the p90x guide. Its how the program works so well. Also you only protein load for the first phase which is about 30 days and then you bring more carbs in.

If you want to cut fat you should have a small deficit, if you want to gain muscle have a small surplus. Ita your choice. There is no but's when it comes to spot reducing.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    What is your fear with the protein level? Kidney damage? I wouldn't worry. Do they recommend 200g for everyone or is that based on your stats?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What is your fear with the protein level? Kidney damage? I wouldn't worry. Do they recommend 200g for everyone or is that based on your stats?

Phase I is 50% protein, 25% carb and fat.
  • Meg_78
    Options

They recommend % wise, so 50% in the fat shredder phase which I don't think I need to do as my fat levels are still quite normal at around 20% (they are just concentrated in one area!) and 40% for the energy booser/maintain phase which is 200g for me at 2000 calories, which just seems like so much, and I already have trouble meeting my current 125g...it just seems like a lot, and I'd would really need to figure out a brand new way of eating...which, perhaps is the problem in the first place, but the reason that much scares me is it will fill me up so much it will be harder to fill my calorie goal, and I'm afraid I'll start losing weight again.