fat to skinnyfat to fit to pretty darn strong

Options
Huffdogg
Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
I'm going to keep the history of my fitness progress pretty short and sweet here, and maybe just have this sit out here and be a wake up call to those hesitating to lift weights.

A little over three years ago, I was 250 lbs, weak, and wheezing. I had started a new job where my physical condition was not going to be acceptable, and knew I had to do something. Like nearly everyone, I started paying closer attention to what I ate, doing things like push-ups and crunches, and running.

I hate running. I have always hated running. But you HAVE to run, right? :facepalm: I wish I knew then what I know now.

In about 6 months, I shed 30 lbs. Then I plateaued. My exercise routine was pretty stagnant, but I had to do what I could without equipment, as I was broke. I got disheartened and stayed plateaued for another 6 months before a friend turned me on to MFP. As soon as I started counting calories, the weight began to melt off. I did even more cardio (lots of step stuff on the Wii Fit balance board and moar running) and started doing some Shovelglove stuff, and I watched what I ate like a hawk. I got all the way down to 168 lbs at one point. It was awful.

I was weak...skinnyfat. I had catabolized most of the lean muscle that had remained, and despite being over 80 lbs down from my starting weight, I still looked awful. I had no muscle tone. My face was gaunt. My neck looked too long. I wasn't starving, by any means. 5'11" is not so tall that 170 can't be carried, but it was not a healthy place for me. A friend finally convinced me to start weight training. I can't thank him enough.

I began with Stronglifts 5x5, upped my calories a bit, and created an account on Fitocracy (lot of people who lift there who are quite helpful and it is easier to track weight lifting activities that way). Almost immediately, I felt better. I felt like my body was actually getting *better.* I wasn't depriving myself constantly in an effort to be thin; I was fueling it in an effort to be strong.

In three months, I had pretty well burned up the linear gains that Stronglifts was able to offer, and I had already started researching other "intermediate" lifting programs. I switched to a Reverse Pyramid Training program, and a Leangains-model intermittent fasting program. I saw another jump in my lifts, my feeling of general well-being, and my appearance. That was around St. Patrick's Day this year.

Last week, I ran a 5k (RFYL Zombie 5k in Indianapolis) with some friends who DO run. I was easily able to keep pace with them (and had a lot better luck getting over the obstacles) despite my lack of cardio (I no longer do ANY), which I attribute to extremely strong legs. I placed quite respectably in my age group, and was very satisfied overall with that.

Three days later, I went after a goal I had set for myself in the weight room, and hit 1k lbs combined total on Squat, Bench, and Deadlifts at a body weight of 195 lbs.

Yesterday I attended a wedding with a bunch of people I've known since high school. Everyone I met there, most of whom I hadn't seen in 5+ years, marveled at how I looked better than I EVER had (including when I was a state finalist swimmer in high school). I have to agree.

I will be 35 this month, and am in overall better shape than I have ever been in my life. I'm around 200 lbs, but I don't pay attention to the scale very closely right now, except to stay within striking distance of the weight class I may one day compete in powerlifting in. I wake up every day feeling fit and energetic, eat like a horse, have a great time in the gym, and am enjoying the way I look and feel.

My only regret is that I didn't start lifting right away. It's never too soon.

Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and never look back.

Replies

• Rylie324
    Rylie324 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your amazing journey!!
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Great Job Huff, You've shown great commitment & an ability to adapt to what your body needs next! I am the opposite, I have always been skinny & nearly a year ago I started working out. I have completed 2 rotations of P90X & one of X2, I am currently completing RushFit & after that I am going to try Wendler's 5 3 1 System. I appreciate SS & other systems are available for quicker gains BUT I will be working out at home & therefore will have to adapt a little & I feel Wendlers has more room for adaption & the speed of progress should allow my body to adapt & still have "energy" for work & life lol.

Russ
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I am currently completing RushFit & after that I am going to try Wendler's 5 3 1 System. I appreciate SS & other systems are available for quicker gains BUT I will be working out at home & therefore will have to adapt a little & I feel Wendlers has more room for adaption & the speed of progress should allow my body to adapt & still have "energy" for work & life lol.

I could see that. If you really want something more universally adaptable, I advise you to at least look into RPT if you don't know anything about it. IMO the best blend of a beginner's simplicity with a more advanced flexibility and works very well depending on your energy level on any given day. Best of luck!
  • Pfeiffer24
    Pfeiffer24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great job congradulations. U put in work n got results
  • rachey_v
    rachey_v Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well done!! I'm thinking I'm really going to have to look into strength training more!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bump and awesome job :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!