Recovery time for bad ankle sprain?

Options
Hi all,

I fell while running four weeks ago. I broke my right elbow and sprained my left ankle quite badly. My elbow is pretty much better, but my ankle is still painful and swollen. I have a brace but it doesn't help much. Does anyone have experience with such injuries? What should I expect for recovery time? I'm eager to get back to running as soon as possible. My doctor said I could start again when I was pain-free but I don't know how much longer that will be...

Thanks!!

Replies

• JDI1443
    JDI1443 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi, I had a mild ankle sprain 3 days ago from falling over my cat lol.. Ran a mile yesterday morning before it started to hurt but was able to run further this morning as it's getting better after a good nights sleep.

So my advice would be only exercise when it feels right and start out low impact (i started to jog)

Get as much sleep as you possibly can as this is the vital time when the body is renewing damaged tissues etc and repairing iteself.

The human body is a spectacular thing however please do not exercise if you are in pain! Take a break for a bit and make sure you maintain calorie intake :)

Good luck! x :D
  • saduffy913
    Options
    I am just getting over a REALLY BAD sprained ankle. I fell down some stairs 2 weeks ago, tomorrow, and I am already back to biking and rollerblading.

tumblr_m6hz59kOiM1r5l8m7o1_1280.jpg

My healing technique was certainly not "typical," but that is because we do a lot of holistic therapy in my house.

I used about 5 essential oils, applied to the swollen area, twice a day for about a week, and it was amazing how quickly it healed. But I also iced several times a day, 20 minutes of ice, 10 minute break, repeat. I was forced to take ibuprofin as well to help bring down the swelling.

I got an air-brace from my doctor, and wore that for a little over a week to help me from shifting weight and keep my ankle in the proper place, and whenever I was sitting down or laying I kept my foot elevated on a pillow.

As an active person, the two weeks without much movement were brutal. But i'm thanking myself now because I healed so fast.

Since you're 4 weeks in, I would say be sure to ice and take something for the swelling. Try to limit the time you spend on your feet too. If you can find it (i would guess walgreens) try and get some Arnica Cream, it helps with pain and swelling.

If you would like some ankle exercises to do for strengthening, let me know. I'd be happy to share the ones I've been doing.

Sarah
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yikes, that looks like a bad sprain. I'd love to know the exercises!