Is it as simple as ....

Options
Hey

Just wanted to get a few opinions and help with losing weight I feel I'm constantly going off track however now I have been jotting down in my notebook everything I have ate that day and counting the cals I'm consuming is it really as easy as that? I'm roughly eating 1300-1400 a day, here are my statistics:

5"7inches
130lbs
Body fat 23%

According to mfp I should be eating 1200

I go to the gym 3/4 times a week doing a mix of cardo and resistance training.

I sometimes find that I'm way under my cals cos I eat alot of fruit and veg ....

X

Replies

• lisaloo103
    lisaloo103 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anyone ... Help x
  • lisaloo103
    Options
    bump
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising with that amount of caloric intake, you are actually netting well below the 1200 mark depending on intensity of your workouts.

You may be very well going off track because your body is starving for nutrition.

You might want to consider upping your calories on the days you have a good caloric burn....
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is just a suggestion, my wife was having some of the same things going on as you. Someone suggested to us to read New Rules for Lifting for Women. She has a new outlook on working out and eating. She now eats to fuel her exercise and is starting to see the results....
    This site is a great tool, but it is not the tell all do all...
  • cramernh
    Options
    This is just a suggestion, my wife was having some of the same things going on as you. Someone suggested to us to read New Rules for Lifting for Women.

That book is AWESOME! Im about half way through reading it right now!
  • lisaloo103
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I will invest in the book.

One of my main questions is though is it really as simple as cals in vs cals out .. what I mean is if i simply count my calories each day and stay under a specific amount i will lose weight? I was originally trying to stick to so much carbs & protein etc but found this rather confusing so wanted to know if simply counting calories no matter weather it be from carbs or protein I should lose weight?

Sorry i may sound so silly!

Thanks for any advice .. all welcome!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hey

Just wanted to get a few opinions and help with losing weight I feel I'm constantly going off track however now I have been jotting down in my notebook everything I have ate that day and counting the cals I'm consuming is it really as easy as that? I'm roughly eating 1300-1400 a day, here are my statistics:

5"7inches
    130lbs
    Body fat 23%

I sometimes find that I'm way under my cals cos I eat alot of fruit and veg ....

X

5'7" working out 3x a week is about 1600-1800 daily without eating back calories.
    Protein 1g per LBM and fat about .45g per LBM.
  • cramernh
    Options

One of my main questions is though is it really as simple as cals in vs cals out .. what I mean is if i simply count my calories each day and stay under a specific amount i will lose weight? I was originally trying to stick to so much carbs & protein etc but found this rather confusing so wanted to know if simply counting calories no matter weather it be from carbs or protein I should lose weight?

Its not silly at all!

The number one thing is this: one method doesnt work for everyone. You have to find the dietary method that works for you.... You will definitely run into some 'diehards' on MFP that would make you quiver and rock back and forth in the fetal position because they just dont back off... That book is an excellent resource from what I have read so far. Im looking forward to finishing it off and then once Im cleared by my surgeons to go back to the gym, you betcha bippy Im going to work my way slowly into the book's program for sure!!!!
  • cramernh
    Options
    WOOHOOOO DAN TO THE RESCUE!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes, MFP works with simple calories in vs. calories out, plus eating your exercise calories - unlike other programmes it doesn't take your exercise into account until you do it.

If it doesn't work it's because you're not tracking everything, overestimating your exercise burn or not weighing and measuring your portions.

1,200 is too low for most people and hard to stick to. Change your settings to lose 1lb a week and you'll have more to eat and it'll be more sustainable. You'll still lose faster to start with.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Hey

5"7inches
    130lbs
    Body fat 23%

X
    if you are adding your exercise into mfp then it should be adding them on top for you to eat
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

My question is this. Why are you trying to lose weight. At 5'7" and 123 lbs you are not over weight. You should be lifting weights and eating to fuel your workouts. You will build muscle and lose BF and look leaner but be healthier. It's as simple as
    Muscle burn Fat!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising with that amount of caloric intake, you are actually netting well below the 1200 mark depending on intensity of your workouts.

You may be very well going off track because your body is starving for nutrition.

You might want to consider upping your calories on the days you have a good caloric burn....
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Welcome!
    I have found this site a great resourse for information, support and tools that all function to help us reach our fitness goals.
    Just read up and follow the MFP recommendations; eat lean meats, low fat dairy, whole grains, nuts, fruits and veggies.
    Simple!
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    And this"
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    Learn all you can.
    Track your diet and exercises - again simple.
    You will do fine - ALL IS POSSIBLE
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Yes...its that simple, really. Just not always so easy.
  • lisaloo103
    Options
    what i dont get though (call me stupid!) if i spent all day eating low cal things such as veg & fruit etc (which i love!) and stayed under my cals is that ok? i mean i could spend 1200 on any particular food and still keep within my cals i should lose weight is this right??

i will have a read through those links thanks very much!!

im trying to get my head round it all, and make it as 'easy' as possible to stick to without feeling so over whelmed by it all

any tips & hints welcome!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes! Many of us here eat pizza and chocolate, and drink beer and wine and still lose weight. The important thing is not to do it ALL the time, and you can eat far more healthy things for fewer calories!

I like to only eat treats out of my exercise calories, to ensure I'm getting the nutrition I need form proper food first.