Staying Motivated

Options
I'm 18 years old, 5' 10" tall, and I weigh exactly 200 pounds.
I used to think weighing a lot was something I'd always have to deal with, because I'm tall, and let's face it: the taller you are, the more you weigh. Typically, at least. I know there are some stick thin models who weigh 90 pounds soaking wet, but I doubt I'll ever be one of those.

Anyway, I've realized that just because I'm tall doesn't mean I have to be overweight. And I AM overweight. By at least 20 pounds. I just want to be back in the 100's. I was 170-180 all through high school, but then college got stressful and, well, you know how that goes.

I'm new to this dieting thing. I never had to diet in the past. It's harder than it looks! But so far I've stuck to it, and I'm hoping that soon I'll be back in the 180's. MFP has been an incredible tool in keeping me honest and on-track.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to stay motivated?

Replies

• Meghan5291
    Options
    My names is meghan due to medical issues i have struggled with my weight all my life at a young age i was diagnosed failure to thrive then at 8 i was put on ZYPREXA and gained a large appetite and amount of rapid weight i have several medical issues and am only 4"10 so it is a struggle to stay avereage ... A year ago i was 225 and i now weigh 189 and my goal weight is 120......
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I guess I have the opposite problem to you, I'm teeny (5"1-2 depending on the time of day :'D) and when you're this short anyyy flab stands out. I'm 102lbs roughly but I'm a bit skinny-fat I guess, I ahve a bit of a flabby belly & thighs which I'm trying to get rid of, as well as generally maintain a healthier lifestyle. It is hard at times, but you can make it easier on yourself.

Add me as a friend if you like, I don't have many on here and we can motivate each other, & share tips :D (I'm 18 too btw)
  • slade37
    slade37 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think that having a work out friend or just someone to relate to and speak with is motivational. Its easier to succeed when you walk together.
  • ChelseaGoneAwry
    ChelseaGoneAwry Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i have several medical issues and am only 4"10 so it is a struggle to stay avereage ..

Oh man, 4' 10"? That must be tough. At that height, unless you're naturally tiny, all fat sticks out. I'm glad you've lost so much so far. Keep up the good work!(:
  • ChelseaGoneAwry
    ChelseaGoneAwry Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think that's a problem that most people dismiss as petty. Just because you're small doesn't mean you don't struggle with your weight, too. And at least if I gain a pound or two, it's not really going to show on my tall frame. BUT, that means I don't notice myself gaining weight until it's a very noticeable amount!
    I'll add you! It's nice to find younger people on here. It reminds everyone that middle-aged people aren't the only ones dealing with weightloss.