I want to do this so bad...

Options
I'm so miserable. Before our daughter, I was steady at 130-135. At my heaviest during pregnancy I was 180. I delivered at 35weeks, so I probably would have gained a bit more still. I'd lost around 20 when I went in for my post-partum check-up. So I was at about 160. I'm now between 175-180 and miserable. My goal is to get back down to 130 if not between 120 and 130. Both my parents are overweight so I'm worried about me following the same pattern. I have horrible eating habits, and drink entirely too much soda. But I just can't seem to stop. I don't know what to do. My doctor said there's a prescription appetite decrease medicine but it's extremely expensive. I don't want to take anything that could cause harm to my body like Hydroxycut or something. I want to get healthy so I can play with my daughter and not get tired. The only motivation from friends is from one that lives 5 hours away. So it's not like I can exercise with her or something. My fiance works full time and is the mayor, so it's not like I can leave our daughter with him and go exercise. He's always busy. There's always people calling to discuss things, or coming to our house with complaints or problems. I wish I could find some sort of motivation. I think that's my problem is lack of motivation. I really want to be healthy and not feel self conscious all the time, but I just give in at the first bit of temptation. Sorry for the long post, I guess I just need to vent. I'm just so miserable.

Replies

• annerssju
    Options
    You can do this!!!! Look at your daughter for motivation. You can think of it as teaching her to eat healthy. You want to set her up for success and teach her to make healthy choices right from the beginning. She will copy everything you do as she grows up, so remember that whatever you do yourself makes a big impact on her.
    As for the soda thing, I COMPLETELY know what you mean. I just made the decision to try and drink water with meals as a rule of thumb from now on. Believe me, I was a HUGE diet soda drinker, I would even have it at breakfast!! But that's when I started to look at what I was doing and recognize that it's not healthy. I haven't cut out soda all together, if I'm REALLY craving some, I will allow myself to have it, but first I will have a glass of water and if I still want it afterwards, I'll have a small cup. I truly find that drinking mostly water makes me want to eat healthier too. That McDonald's burger doesn't sound as good without a large Pepsi to go with it - water and salad go better together.... so drinking water just lends itself to making healthier choices.
    Good luck. Your daughter is BEAUTIFUL. I had my little one April 20, and I still have about 20 lbs. to lose ( I gained 70 total!!! :noway: )
    This website is great, just log in all your foods, and be honest and you CAN do it!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Drink 8 to 10 cups of water EVERY day and put your little sweetie in the stroller or a baby jogger and WALK for 1/2 hour to an hour! You are BOTH beautiful and deserve to be healthy. Try what I suggested and see what happens! Really it is for only one hour a day and the fresh air will do you both some good!! Best wishes and congratualtions on seeking help, that is a big step in the right direction!!
    vhuber
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome! You've come to the right place!

Just using the food diary can help you see exactly the 'cost' of the food you are eating, and will help you to begin to make healthy choices. Remember that you don't have to change everything at once. Small steps are still steps in the right direction, and every one of those small steps takes you closer to your goal.

Education is the key, and this is a great place to gain valuable information about how our bodies work, and how food is a fuel.

You can begin by reading these invaluable articles:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

And when you have questions ask in the forums - there are plenty of wise people here who are happy to share their knowledge and experiences with you. And this is a wonderful place for support.

As far as exercise goes, walking or jogging is a great exercise that you could do with your daughter - putting her in a jogger stroller and pushing her would burn even more calories, and I bet she'd LOVE it!!! :)

So do not despair, the fact that you found your way here means that you're already moving in the right direction!

Bless you and your little one!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!!! You will love it here if you don't already. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    What you need to learn first and foremost is that if you are going to indulge, you have to at least be willing to burn off those calories. That's one of the great things about exercise- it does allow us to eat a little more, and it's quite empowering once you realize you are completely in control of calories in vs calories out. You can pop in a video at home and workout, or you can do some free workout videos online (sparkpeople.com and exercisetv.tv). You'll have to eventually learn a bit of willpower (god knows how hard that is), and at least cut back on some of the things you eat and drink (pop is a good place to start). Baby steps are ok as long as they're steps forward.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Your weight seems very close to mine pre and post pregnancy. And I know your pain. I've got a very hectic schedule with three children. Beside working full time I also am a youth leader in two activities. Finding time after work was (is) very difficult.
    Back in February my doctor was very quick to say prescription appetite supressors. He didn't give me a script and I was very leery of receiving one.
    I found this site shortly thereafter. For a while I was doing good tracking my calorie intake & calories burned. Then I let it go for several months....I'm back now... Trying to beat negative thoughts.

Congratulations on your new family. Best wishes.