I need variety!

Options
Well, I do! The only problem is, I don't have very many fancy ingredients or seasonings. I'm getting tired of the same old sandwiches and tasteless salads (I haven't found a tasty dressing yet) and meat/veggie/veggie combinations.

Any ideas for lovely cuisine that's not only healthy, but fits a tight budget too? Every dollar counts. :)

Replies

• rixzchick
    rixzchick Posts: 17
    Options
    Believe it or not, a lot of mexican food can be healthy. I absolutely love sprinkling chili powder on mangos, or for breakfast I like to cook corn tortillas and eggs together. Most mexican soups such as pozole, chile verde, and other stuff like that is fairly healthy. It has a stock of chicken broth or is tomatillo based and a **** ton of seasonings.

My main staples for cooking include cumin, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, oregano, and sesame oil. I would recommend FoodNetwork.com, and then checking out their healthy section. I found a few great recipes there too!
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Costco or Trader Joe's in your area. You can get Romaine, raw spinach for a few dollars. Add herb feta & diced tomato for a salad. Feta gives flavor so you don't need dressing. Or add crumbled blue cheese instead. Eggs you can scramble, omelet, deviled eggs or egg hard boiled. Make Lettuce wraps use lettuce or romaine leaf add carved turkey or Land of frost black pepper beef slice tomato, light mayo. Turkey ,chicken burgers I believe 4 in a package. Fresh & frozen vegies local stores have sales or farmers market. Make stir fry dishes. Fish like orange roughy, mahi mahi, talopia, fresh, good for you, reasonable & not fishy tasting. Sugar free jello. Tenderloin many come already seasoned. Hope these will get you started. Try bulk area in your local store you can get spices cheap. Or grocery outlets, big lots care spice 4 for a buck. Grow your own rosemary, dill, sage, chives.
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't buy any salad dressings, I make them at home by experimenting.

my favorite so far has been the following:

avocado balsamic dressing
    1/5 of an avocado
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp water
    splash of soy sauce (instead of salt)
    a few drops of tapatio (sriracha also works great)
    pepper

mash the avocado up and then incorporate everything else. mix with a small whisk until its smooth.

sometimes i need to add more water, depending on how moist the avocado is.

done!

MFP says its 75 calories with 9g of fat, 5g of carbs and 1g of protein.

I've also taken things out and added different herbs like sage, rosemary, celery salt, dried mustard, etc.
    herbs are an expensive way to add different flavors to the same thing.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I found that the fat free Italian (like 15 calories for 2 tablespoons) with a dash more vinegar (zero calories if plain old vinegar) can jazz up a tasteless salad.

Try Lean Cusine Fajita Spring Rolls. There are 2 three-packs and I often catch them on sale for under $2 and they are truly delicious. 200 calories for 3 spring rolls.
  • ClariNevermore
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to have to remember all of this, it's a lot of information.. I actually rather like salad by itself, but I have an issue with the texture- for some reason if I eat crunchy food - usually onions and salad leaves - it triggers my gag reflex, no matter how good it tastes.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Try bulgur wheat or couscous. I add some fresh grated ginger, mustard, a bit of pepper and then you can pretty much add what you want. I tend to put feta in, maybe some chicken, and some salad. It just depends what you like. You can experiment with different spices and flavourings too. It's nice in a pitta or on the side of fish or chicken. I'm pretty picky so this is a good one for me.