Is this a realistic goal?

Options
My goal is to lose 50 pounds before my wedding starting now.. the date is august 3rd 2013. Is 1 year and 50 pounds a realistic goal or am I setting myself up for failure? I want to continue to lead a healthy life style but my wedding is going to be a huge motivater. I am overweight and 50 pounds would put me into a healthy category for my health. What do you think?

Replies

• reginad130
    reginad130 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I think that's a very realistic goal. Good luck!
  • BatWoman2012
    Options
    That is definetly realistic!! Ive lost 24lbs in 3 months. A lot of people on here have lost way more than that in the same time period. Good luck :)
  • cryshelle247
    cryshelle247 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yes it is realistic my friend lost 60 lbs in 3 months lol u can do it ... ima b right behind u trying to lose 50 lbs. now idk about loosing 50 lbs in a month but i think about 30 lbs in a month is more realistic
  • Mdafonte
    Mdafonte Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yes it is realistic my friend lost 60 lbs in 3 months lol u can do it ... ima b right behind u trying to lose 50 lbs. now idk about loosing 50 lbs in a month but i think about 30 lbs in a month is more realistic

she has a year and a few months, August 3, 2013!!
  • tmoe314
    tmoe314 Posts: 1
    Options
    It isn't unrealistic. That means losing a pound of week (or so)... which is healthy weight lose. I lost 50 pounds during 2011 year. I still have more to go (about 75 pounds).

It is good to have a motivator and that you desire to be healthier. There will be plateaus... which can be extremely frustrating and discouraging, but it isn't the end of the year. Movement (aka exercise) and eating healthier (for some, that would be a diet) are key. For myself, rewording things cognitively helped me.

Wishing you the best!!!!
  • angbecks
    angbecks Posts: 12
    Options
    50 lbs is a great goal! set it and work for it, you can do it!
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Very realistic, bet you can do it and more! I have been on here about 2 months and have lost 26, if you hit a plateau just keep going! Congrats to you and enjoy the planning part for the wedding, the day will be here before you know it!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You can do it - YES :flowerforyou:
    It will take about a year for you to lose that weight and keep it off.
    You are thinking about this the right way. Some might try to crash diet, and that's bad all around.
    When it comes to healthy weight loss, people in a race usually finish last.
    You have made the right decision - Good Luck.
    All Is Possible
  • heartofdorkness
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely do it! That puts you at a loss of ~1.1 pound/week, which is very safe and realistic. If it helps, I've lost 15 pounds in just under 2 months, and I'm aiming to lose 65 overall.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Very realistic! That's less than a pound a week. You'll probably knock off that weight way before the year is up.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    A realistic goal is expect to lose fat at the same rate you gained it. Get there early and better for you.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    30 lbs per month is ABSURD.
    Think 1 pound per week.
    That's the key to steady, healthy and lasting weight loss. People in too much a rush gain it all back like Oprah Winfrey.
    She'll die fat.
    Think long-term, and All Is Possible :flowerforyou:
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Definately reasonable - I lost 86lbs in less than a year
    It might depend on how much you truly have to lose - the less you have to lose the more difficult it can be - however just plug away at it, you'll get there!
  • CharlotteLucy22
    Options
    2lbs a week ... 25 weeks :) More than do-able.

Im trying to lose about 40 before my wedding on march 2nd 2013
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Definately!!

I have lost 51.5lb in just under 6 months and have about another 19lb to go

You can do it :-D

xx
  • johnnys30
    johnnys30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Healthy and realistic weight loss is 2 lbs a week so you could lose your goal and more if you wanted.
  • johnnys30
    johnnys30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Healthy and realistic weight loss is 2 lbs a week so you could lose your goal and more if you wanted.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    that's do-able. I've lost 111.4lbs in about 15 months. The first 50 came off pretty easy though, in like the first 5-6 months after I made my lifestyle change.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Even losing at an incredibly slow pace that is possible. You just have to formulate a consistent eating habit that is relatively healthy with moderate "free days". You can definitely do it and im rooting for you
  • sofiav76
    sofiav76 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Very realistic and you have given yourself more than enough time which is a great start! Good luck with it and keep us updated on your progress.