A swift kick in the pants...

Options
is what I need. It's seems like I get motivated and do well for only a few weeks, then I get sick or depressed and go back to eating crap and not exercising for a few weeks, then it starts over. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how do you make it past that point? All my room mates lead a very unhealthy lifestyle, and I get no support from them.

Replies

• tanyatales
    Options
    Hey I know how you feel, I have often gotten off to a good start but I do find I lack motivation. This time though I hope that I can keep my enthusiasm so I can reach my goal! I only signed on to My fitness pal two days ago but have been exercising and watching what I eat for about 2 weeks now.

I have a beach near my home so I have been swimming nearly everyday....treading water mostly and riding my bike and going for walks but I will have to change my exercise plan somewhat when winter hits so I'm thinking snow shoeing or cross country skiing 3 3-4 times a week might work.

I'm hoping by chatting with others who are working towards their goals that we can keep each other motivated!

Keep up the good work and good luck with reaching your goal!!!
    Tanya
  • l0ttie
    Options
    How to Break Bad Habits
    Old habits die hard, but the good news is that they do die. Don't lose hope or beat yourself up over it if you're having trouble breaking bad habits. It's not that easy to change your ways. Just keep plugging away. Start by replacing old habits with new ones. The key is to learn how to take care of yourself and pamper yourself in ways that are life affirming rather than self-destructive. Learn how to deal with sabotaging emotions by establishing some healthy patterns of behavior and investing in your physical and emotional well-being.
    If you judge yourself every time you're in front of a mirror, try focusing on the things you love about yourself. When was the last time you looked in the mirror and told yourself how great your features are and how beautiful you look?

If you're constantly looking to the media for stories about celebrity diets and weight loss, try finding more realistic role models — everyday people who've lost weight or achieved other goals similar to yours. They will be the most inspiring. Start paying attention to people you know.

If you tend to blow off your workouts until your vacation rolls around — or there's some other event, like a wedding, lighting a fire under you — ease yourself back into your daily workouts. Without commitment, you won't be able to achieve the goals you truly desire. Put your life in perspective. Everything is a choice — from how you feel when you wake up in the morning to whether or not you floss your teeth at night. To make the right choices, you need to ask the right questions: What is my true goal, and how are the choices I'm making going to help me achieve that goal?
  • twilight1542
    Options
    My advice is to read some of threads in the "success stories" forum. There are people on here who have lost over 100lbs. Knowing that people here have lost soo much weight definitely helps me stay motivated.......that & seeing that MFP has worked for me--I've lost 39lbs since joining in June :)
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I made it MY thing.. something that I can do to please myself and no one else. My mom and my brother still eat the way I used to but I can pretty much say no to what they eat. Thinking about wearing prettier and smaller clothes is a huge motivator for me. I have started exercising and I love it so that gives me something new to do by myself (with my dog) and that is really good for me. I will admit that sometimes it gets hard to stay motivated or get there in the first place, especially when it comes to exercising. I just think to myself.. ok let's get this over with so I don't have to worry about it later and I can do what I want. That really helps.
  • LauraGUnit
    Options
    is what I need. It's seems like I get motivated and do well for only a few weeks, then I get sick or depressed and go back to eating crap and not exercising for a few weeks, then it starts over.

Yes, yes, and yes. And I feel it coming on this week. :mad: I'm going to battle hard and I'm glad you posted; it's reassuring to see someone else struggling with the same issue.