Resting Metabolic Rate

Options
I had my resting metabolic rate tested (not just the automatic calculation--> the real way at a doctor's office) about 16 pounds and a year and a half ago and it was 1670. Now, I weigh about 16 pounds less but am much fitter (I was hardly working out at all when I did the test, except for yoga a few times a week and now I run, I lift, etc. very active). I recalculated my RMR on a website, and it put it lower than the last time I was tested- which makes sense because it's based on my height and weight, but is it possible that my RMR has really gone down simply because I weigh less, I'd think that the fact that I'm fitter would mean the rate would raise if any.... any ideas? The idea of these websites where you plug in the weight and height for a once-size-fits-all formula doesn't seem so accurate to me.

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think a fitter person has a lower RMR. Their cardiovascular system is more efficient so they do more with less calories, like a more efficient car does with less gas. Elite athletes can have very low resting heart rates, for example. And of course a smaller body just uses less energy regardless, like a smaller car. Though I guess if your lean body mass went up, your RMR could've had. That's hard to do.

The websites are just estimates based on averages. Maybe see if you were around average then? If so, you might still be now. I mean, put in your age and weight for when they told you 1670. Is it roughly accurate?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Yes your basic metabolic rate will be lower when you weigh less, this is why it's important to re visit your BMR and calorie allowance as you lose weight.