Disgust - what a sell out

XFitMojoMom
XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Spent the weekend in Vermont - a little getaway. Did some shopping. Imagine my total amazement, shock and disgust when I saw Jillian Michaels peddling her new DIET PILL. She's such a hypocrite. Disgusting.
Thoughts?

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Yea that did surprise me because she says there's no quick fix and such, I don't know what it is or how it "works" but yea she needs to cool it...

~Leash :heart:
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Most exercise gurus like her tend to do whatever works to make money. Good old fashion exercise is what I go by.
  • I saw that yesterday when I was a Rite Aid!! I didn't really check out exactly what it was as I was passing it but I'm hoping that maybe it's some sort of mistake. Like the company putting out the "quick fix" is using her face to attract people, but maybe she isn't really endorsing it. I don't know, I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt instead of writing her off as a sell-out hypocrite. That would be such a shame since so many people look up to her.
  • Just a thought here....

She has always written about supplements, and gives her opinion on each ingredient, and the research behind it. She clearly states the dangerous ones (e.g. effedrine / ma huang), and often talks about supplements that are helpful (just as Dr. Oz talks about vitamins and minerals and supplements that may be helpful.

I know nothing about her product, but having read her books I can imagine what ingredients are in there (gaurana, CLA, green tea, etc are favs of hers).

I am intrigued now, but not sure if she has "sold out"!
    :smile:
  • I'm shocked and quite disappointed too, especially because this diet pill contains some pretty questionable stuff. :noway: Ugh! I'm glad I never spent any of my money to support her products and dvds now. She seemed nice enough in her dvd workouts though. :frown: Just goes to show...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It's not that much different than the shilling she does for Nordic Track incline trainers. Yeah, the product isn't quite as sleazy as diet pills, but the advertising they do is every bit as misleading and the product is WAY overpriced.

Unfortunately, it is a fact of life that once you start becoming a "fitness celebrity" it is extremely difficult to avoid the temptation to go to the dark side. The same type of drive that pushes you to market yourself at that level tends to help you justify any type of self-promotion. Plus, at that level, you live with the sleaziest of the fitness chalatans 24/7. Even a saint would find it difficult not to become corrupted.

Not that it is saying much, but she is still probably more principled that many of her contemporaries. That's probably equivalent to being the most honest crack dealer, but hey.......ya gotta hang your hat somewhere. I see topic after topic extolling the virtues of the same kinds of people putting out the same kinds of products--if this serves as a general wake up call, then there might be something positive to come out of it.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Unfortunately, money talks...
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    I. WONDER IF THERE:ohwell: GOOD
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Just a thought here....

She has always written about supplements, and gives her opinion on each ingredient, and the research behind it. She clearly states the dangerous ones (e.g. effedrine / ma huang), and often talks about supplements that are helpful (just as Dr. Oz talks about vitamins and minerals and supplements that may be helpful.

I know nothing about her product, but having read her books I can imagine what ingredients are in there (gaurana, CLA, green tea, etc are favs of hers).

You have such a pretty name. My name is Betty too and I've always thought it was such a pretty name. :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Money talks. Take everything she says with a grain of salt, I know I do.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    I like her ,you can say alot about her. but proof is in the pudding. her people loss not only all there weight . but after she is done with tham .there not much saggy skin. she dose better than bob dose.as far as what she is saleing i:"m with you every body is out to make a fast buck but it might really work
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Just a thought here....

Looks like it is a fat burner - supplement, not a diet pill.
This discussion has been closed.