Lunch? HELP

Options
YoshiZelda
YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
What is something that is 1. Easy on the wallet, 2 Easy to make, and 3 good for you, that I can make for lunch?
I need ideas ! I'm sick of eating the same old thing :[ So please help !

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    What are you eating that you are sick of? The possibilities are endless... you could make a salad or a sandwich. You could make your meals ahead of time and freeze them. Invest in a crockpot if you haven't already done so. That thing does wonders.
  • Sammich_86
    Options
    Try sparkrecipies.com for bucket load. they have an app too! The internet has endless posibilities!!! :)
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    The key thing is planning.

Like whats her face up there said the possibilities are pretty much endless. However it will be much easier if you are making this decision on say...Sunday or Saturday and your week starts Monday.

While sometimes I slack; most weeks I cook my lunches way ahead of time. Sure sometimes its eating the same thing every day for lunch for that week but food is fuel; it's not meant to be the center of your day. When your focus and stress is less about food you find repetition really means d*ck.

An example; find a good recipe for some chicken breasts, or keep it simple; salt, lemon pepper, cook in a skillet with some olive oil. Cook up a big batch of brown rice, black rice, quinoa etc (tip, cook with chicken/vegetable stock), then steam some veggies or something each day to pack with. I stock up on those Green Giant steamers and just heat them up in the morning before work; toss them into my lunch. Eat that all week, cook something different the next.

Now when I am being a really lazy *kitten*? Healthy choice soups work.
  • laulamoo
    laulamoo Posts: 13
    Options
    I make soup on Sundays and freeze it portions or the week. It's surprisingly filling with a wholegrain bread roll and avocado. I make a broccoli soup (sounds awful but it's really delicious) pumpkin, minestrone, potato and leek, roast vegetable. It's ridiculously cheap and so nutritious. I can give you some low cal recipes if you're interested?

If I have some coins in my pocket at work I also get brown rice sushi which is so filling.

Otherwise there's so many decent websites out there. I googled 'cheap, easy meals' and tons came up!
  • YoshiZelda
    Options
    What are you eating that you are sick of? The possibilities are endless... you could make a salad or a sandwich. You could make your meals ahead of time and freeze them. Invest in a crockpot if you haven't already done so. That thing does wonders.

For lunch I usually eat a granola bar and some rice cakes. What exactly can you make in a crockpot? I've never used one so I'm clueless LOL.
  • YoshiZelda
    Options
    The key thing is planning.

Like whats her face up there said the possibilities are pretty much endless. However it will be much easier if you are making this decision on say...Sunday or Saturday and your week starts Monday.

While sometimes I slack; most weeks I cook my lunches way ahead of time. Sure sometimes its eating the same thing every day for lunch for that week but food is fuel; it's not meant to be the center of your day. When your focus and stress is less about food you find repetition really means d*ck.

An example; find a good recipe for some chicken breasts, or keep it simple; salt, lemon pepper, cook in a skillet with some olive oil. Cook up a big batch of brown rice, black rice, quinoa etc (tip, cook with chicken/vegetable stock), then steam some veggies or something each day to pack with. I stock up on those Green Giant steamers and just heat them up in the morning before work; toss them into my lunch. Eat that all week, cook something different the next.

Now when I am being a really lazy *kitten*? Healthy choice soups work.

Thanks for the info. I'll defiantly try planning them earlier in the week rather than making them at last minute. And your example sounds really good!
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a great three bean turkey chili. You make it in a crockpot.
  • YoshiZelda
    Options
    I make soup on Sundays and freeze it portions or the week. It's surprisingly filling with a wholegrain bread roll and avocado. I make a broccoli soup (sounds awful but it's really delicious) pumpkin, minestrone, potato and leek, roast vegetable. It's ridiculously cheap and so nutritious. I can give you some low cal recipes if you're interested?

If I have some coins in my pocket at work I also get brown rice sushi which is so filling.

Otherwise there's so many decent websites out there. I googled 'cheap, easy meals' and tons came up!

I would LOVE some low cal recipes. Do you make homemade soup? I'd love to try to make some haha.
  • vibrantval
    vibrantval Posts: 46
    Options
    I love my sandwiches I could eat a sandwich everyday and not get sick of it and I pile on lots of spinach, onions, and tomatoes, sometimes avocados.

Or my other favorite is tuna in water drained and mixed with olive oil mayo, a squirt of mustard, celery, onions, tomatoes, and jalapenos, I use romaine lettuce leafs as 'bread' and its oh so yummy!
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options

Great idea freezing in serving portions- definitely trying this!
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    Salads can be easy and cheap if you buy carefully. Mixed greens with some sliced cucumbers, carrots, or broccoli, a few sliced strawberries or blueberries, and nuts, a lean meat, or some cheese. Also quick to through together in the morning before work, just keep the strawberries and meat separate and add them right before you eat so it doesn't get slimy :)

Another standby for me is also a yogurt cup with fruit and granola or nuts. Greek yogurt will give you a good helping of protein, too.

Left over home made dinners are good, too.

Sandwiches made with tortillas are a bit lower calorie than when made with two pieces of bread. Try tuna/ chicken salad (tuna/ chicken, light mayo, finely chopped cabbage, celery, carrots, and maybe apple or grapes) in a wrap. Or a few slices of turkey with a slice of cheese, hummus, and some sprouts or spinach. Or egg salad (hardboiled egg- diced, light mayo, a bit of mustard). Also, you can use big romaine lettuce leaves in place of a tortilla to really cut the calories.

Edited to fix silly typos.
  • amandanzgirl
    amandanzgirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep, lately I am a fan of cooking up a big pot of brown rice, to last me 4 - 5 days.
    Each day I add to a 1/2 cup portion of rice, grilled chicken breast or tuna and a good 1 -2 cups of coleslaw (minus the dressing). Often I mix it all up and add a tablespoon of low fat dressing (low fat blue cheese is my favourite). Works out to be about 300 - 350 cals. Depending on how much protein I eat.
  • krisaddress
    krisaddress Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had a left over simple veggie stir fry last night.... (lots of different veg but just added salt and pepper as well as some oyster sauce)

So I didn't feel like the veggies alone so I made them into rice paper rolls and ate a hard boiled egg for the protein too.... I really enjoyed it!