Veggies!

I really need to eat more veggies. Any suggestions/recipes to healthily incorporate more into my everyday diet?? Thanks!

Replies

• abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    I'm tellin' you- PUT EM IN YOUR SMOOTHIES! I swear, you can barely taste 1/3 cup of frozen spinach... and that's a whole serving, BAM, right away in the morning! I'll even stop bugging you about the banana. lol

Also, veggies with dip (hummus, nut butter, low fat ranch, etc) are a great snack.

Try to have 2 different veggies at dinner or lunch, variety will help. Maybe each week set a goal to try one new veggie you've never had. There are literally tons you might not even have heard of (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_culinary_vegetables)

Sweet potatoes, cut, sprayed with some non-stick olive oil spray or something, maybe a dash of salt, then roasted in the over at 350ish for 45ish minutes (or until browned and slightly crisp) are a great home made french fry while getting in another serving.

I love freeze dried peas for a snack, also. Expensive as heck but man are they good.

I make a lot of veggie-based stir-frys. Broccoli, carrots, chard, and onion are my favorites to start with.
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    OK OK I'll add some spinach to my smoothies!!! And I only use HALF a banana! lol All the friut really racks my Sugars up though.

Im not too picky with veggies. But I will say I'm not a dip person. Hummus, Ranch? No thanks.

What stir fry recipes ya got? I love stir fries but they make my Sodium level sky rocket.
  • BlueyedMLE
    BlueyedMLE Posts: 9 Member
    When I make pasta sauce I add shredded carrot to it, keeps you from using sugar to cut the acidity of the tomato. You can add other veggies to it as well , I have done zuccihini,parsnips,yellow squash and many more . I have also heard of putting pureed carrot in brownies because they are sweet , hope this helps and I will look up more recipes with veggies
  • kristalcate
    kristalcate Posts: 1 Member
    I agree with the spinach in your smoothies!! It actually increases the sweetness.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    I'll make myself a veggie kaiser roll for lunch, use whatever I have in the fridge, but I also have shredded carrots and I use 1/4 cup of them in the roll, they are sweet, crunchy and taste great (assuming you like carrots!). They are also great to put into just about anything.
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Seconding the spinach smoothie! I've been doing it almost every morning for a year now and love it :happy: