HITT Recommendations

I'm thinking of doing HITT tomorrow on the treadmill. Any recommendations on the following:

What should my heart rate should be at during the 1 min increase? (I will be wearing my HRM)
What should the treadmill be set up during the 2 min and then 1 min?
Should I be at an incline and if so at what level?
20 minutes long enough?

I'm not much of a runner but I'm pretty much in good shape. In case my stats are needed to answer some of my questions they are:

130.4 lbs
5'2"

Thanks for any advice and recommendations!
Sheila

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Nobody will be able to give you any exact numbers as far as incline/speed goes, everyone's idea of an intense workout differs from person to person. You have to figure out what's best for your body.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    treadmill settings are going to depend on your individual fitness.

heart rate should be in the anaerobic zone which means 1 minute is going to be too long since hiits generally have intervals of 15-20 seconds .

i think the 2 mins rest/1 minute work is more regular interval training rather than traditional hiit training
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Personally I do 5 minute intervals at 5% incline and then no incline. Repeat. Some people like to alter their speed but I don't have the luxury of sprinting. Bad knee.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    i do 1min at a pace that i feel and then i run at fast as i can for 30secs
    or i do 1min 30 sec at a pace i can feel and running as fsat as i can for 1min.

I use the longer time bracket to recover from the run and get ready for the next one. If i feel like i could do with a challeng then i up the anti and put some incline into it, i have a physical job and long hours so sleep can be inconsistant and my speeds and inclnes vary according to how im feeling thats why i havent included any numbers, but thats the frame work i operate off (: happy HIIT-ing (:
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    thanks everyone for the reply. I will play with it tomorrow and see how that goes! :flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I do 2 differnet routines that are basically the same except for the number of intervals and what I do afterward.
    Start with 3 minute warmup
    All out for 30 seconds
    90 second rest
    Repeat eather 8 times or 5. When I only do 5, I then do LISS (Low Intensity Steady State) like walking or casual biking for another 45 or 50 minutes. That 2 routine is a routine specifically for fat burning that Lyle McDonald came up with. Something about "mobilizing" fat with HIIT and burning it off with LISS.

I get heart rate to 90% of max during the peak intervals. I originally learned this routine as the Peak 8.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Not sure if it's what you are looking for, but these are my two "speed workouts"

Speed workout #1
    Warmup (6.2) 10min
    sprint @ 9.5 for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds (repeat 8x)
    walk at 3.5 for 1 minute
    sprint @9.5 for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds (repeat 8x)
    walk at 3.5 for 1 minute
    sprint @9.5 for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds (repeat 8x)
    cooldown 5-10 minutes

Speed workout #2
    Warmup (6.2) 10 minutes
    sprint at 8.20 for 25 seconds, jog at 6.2 for 35 seconds
    sprint at 9.2 for 25 seconds, jog at 6.2 for 35 seconds
    sprint at 10.2 for 25 seconds, jog at 6.2 for 35 seconds
    walk at 3.5 for 1 minute
    repeat 5x
    cooldown 5 minutes

I don't have a heartrate monitor, so I can't comment on that. I pretty much always set the incline on the treatmill to 1.0. As for the speeds, it really is dependent on each individual person. The first workout is designed to be at about 90% effort. The second workout is designed for intervals at 80%, 90%, and 100% effort (for me).
  • mzkezh
    mzkezh Posts: 74
    bump
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    It's impossible to do HIIT on a treadmill. The belt does not change speeds fast enough.

Intervals? Yes.

HIIT? No.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    It's impossible to do HIIT on a treadmill. The belt does not change speeds fast enough.

Intervals? Yes.

HIIT? No.

Pretty much this. Not sure if I'd use the word "impossible", but "sucky" comes to mind. By the time the belts at speed your sprint time is over and after you're winded it takes too long for the belt to slow down. I end up holding on the side of the machine with my feet lifted off the track. Like an idiot. The elliptical works much better. And HIIT is generally done by time intervals, not heart rate checkpoints. I've never seen it done that way but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere. Do the work, and your heart rate will take care of itself.

MMAPAGS already gave you the one that I'd suggest you start at, if you're going to use the machines for HIIT. 2 min warmup, 30 secs all out on highest setting, 90 secs of regular setting, 30 secs all out, 90 secs regular....for a total of 8 all out sprints followed by 2 min cool down. 20 min Sprint 8 workout right there. Much better on the elliptical