Chicks on the Boys side of the Gym....

Options
Your thoughts? I started lifting several months ago, at first at home with a few free weights..and realized quickly that I would have to break down and start going to a gym to lift since I was no longer challeged by what I had at home...

I am not gonna lie...the segregation in the gym is intimidating as all get out sometimes...there is a girl's side ( elliptical machines, treadmills and bikes) and theres a boy's side...( all the strength machines, cables-which happen to be my favorite!, free weights and bars). So my question to woman that lift...do you feel intimidated or uncomfortable by being the only female in the stregth section of the gym? And men...is it annoying when a woman crosses over to your side?

Just wanting some perspectives...from both sides. I am not going to stop lifting...I love it! But wonder why the gym is so segregated by gender.

Replies

• austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to it. Most people are in the gym to complete THEIR workout. They are focused on their routine and not really looking around much. I used to be intimidated too, but after 6 months of "lifting with the boys," I have gotten used to it. Most people are very polite and even helpful. I have asked questions and been given helpful pointers on form, etc. Just, be respectful of others space and they'll be respectful back. As for the cardio bunnies, they'll just be jealous of your guns ;)
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Cardio bunnies!! LOVE IT!!! Everyone is very respectful...just sometimes...being the only female among 50 guys is just weird.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    no i dont feel intimidated. i pay my gym membership same as the menfolk.

also in my gym there's just as many men cardio bunnies as women :laugh:

i think many women who avoid the free weight section do so
    a)because they've read too much about "toning" from various fitness magazines geared towards women and fear they will miraculously gain 50 pounds in muscle just by lifting 1 weight over 10 pounds
    b) they dont know what to do and would rather avoid going to those contraptions to figure it how
    c) there's almost always a group of 3-4 guys in headbands and muscle shirts pretty much involved in circle jerk
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i doubt that it is a rule that only the boys use strength and girls use cardio.

to hell with them all i say, do what you want. you pay your fees.
  • Flugangst
    Flugangst Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've never realized this, but then again, I don't really give a ****e. I'm there focusing on ME and what I want and need to do for ME and MY health, so...lol.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    At first it was intimidating. I went early in the mornings to get comfortable with my routine, and then honestly I could care less.

I actually had some guy tell me I was doing some "badass stuff" last week, which was awesome :)
  • varulv
    varulv Posts: 21
    Options
    it doesn't annoy me at all actually i find myself working harder when girls are over next to me lifting the macho part of my brain turns on and wants to impress them coincidentally don't be afraid to ask for a spot we are always willing to help
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I guess I never really noticed a split in my gym when I started lifting. As far as being intimidated, I didn't pay attention to anything like that because lifting was just part of my committment to get healthy... who cared if it was only guys around me. The guys there have always been really supportive, especially once they figured out I was serious and saw the progress I made. They treat me the same as they treat each other, provide a spot for me if I need it and are genuinely encouraging. I think they think it's very groovy that I'm in there lifting heavy and pushing hard.
  • varulv
    varulv Posts: 21
    Options
    it doesn't annoy me at all actually i find myself working harder when girls are over next to me lifting the macho part of my brain turns on and wants to impress them coincidentally don't be afraid to ask for a spot we are always willing to help
  • sthrnchick
    Options

I actually had some guy tell me I was doing some "badass stuff" last week, which was awesome :)

That would make me feel like a BAD *kitten* and I would LOVE it!!
  • sthrnchick
    Options

I guess I havent lifted long enough to ask for a spotter yet. I hope to be more comfortable the longer i go.
  • hmoore202
    hmoore202 Posts: 15
    Options
    Girl get in there!!! Seriously, first of all i believe all women should be doing some sort of strength training anyway, but who really cares about being on the guys side??!! You will be surprised to find how non-judgemental those guys are and i often prefer to weight lift with the guys than deal with the girls on the cardio machines, I'm often one of the only girls lifting weights, all 5'1'' 125 lbs of me with my pink tank...i was told the free weight side was lacking in hot pink attire :o) But don't be intimidated...you got this!!
  • hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    c) there's almost always a group of 3-4 guys in headbands and muscle shirts pretty much involved in circle jerk

Hahah so true! And yes it is intimidating at first. I didnt mind it if my boyfriend was with me, but everytime I went to the gym alone I would run for the womens area. (At my gym the women's area has lots of strength training machines and freeweights too) However, I became more comfortable and confident in my weight training and now I have no problem lifting with the boys.

I think its just intimidating when you arent confident with weights. If thats the case with you I would just suggest looking up the workouts online and make sure you go over proper form of all the exercises before you hit the gym.

I workout with a lot of the boys now, and they dont mind women around their weights at all. They just hate the ones who stand around giggling and chatting on their cellphones, wearing reveiling clothes - being useless and getting in the way of their workouts. (I doubt the odd guy likes those girls around the gym, but none of the guys I workout with.)

As long as you're focused and serious about your wrokout I honestly think they dont think they mind at all!

and like hmoore202 said, I actually find the guys side more comforting. They are much less judgmental than some of the ladies who can give very dirty/snobby looks for whatever reasons.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    no it's not intimidating. what girl could be bothered by being surrounded by a bunch of men lifting weights...? lol.
  • ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

lol pretty much this, most of the time i am so into my workout I never really pay much attention, build you some muscle ladies
  • sthrnchick
    Options

lol pretty much this, most of the time i am so into my workout I never really pay much attention, build you some muscle ladies

Thanks for a man's perspective!!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    More power to you. If you really want to get fit, weight lifting is necessary. You shouldn't feel intimidated at all.
  • Aequitas503
    Options
    I've just started lifting and it can be intimidating, most times I go I'm the only girl in the free weight section. It seems twice as intimidating because I'm just starting out so I'm there benching my 22.5kg and there are guys with insane amounts

But now I'm getting used to it and realised that they all had to start where I am and I'm going to be proud of being "the girl" with my hot pink gym towel (not a colour a would've chosen but it was free and now I kinda like it...)
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Just follow the rules of the benches and don't worry about it, don't monopolize the machines, allow others to work in, wipe down your bench when you're done and give a spot when you're asked.

And my own personal rule, if you're going to be lifting, challenge yourself!

Remember that you have as much right to be on the lifting side as anyone else.

Happy lifting!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I train in the gym at a local military base. While there are certainly the cardio bunnies coming through, there are plenty of female lifters throwing the free weights also.

It so happens the lifter that I have seen there demonstrating the most impressive combination of control and strength there has been a female lifter. She's the only person there whom I have seen do the "skin the cat" on the pull up bar.