Too Hot to Cook/Grill Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• sylviastaten
    Options
    The Chicken and salsa recipe sounds delicious. Could you please send a recipe for that?
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Another easy 2 ingredient Crockpot slow Cooker recipe....put chicken, or pork, or beef in the slow cooker and pour 1 can of Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce (MILD) over it. Shred/slice the meat when done and put in tortillas with your favorite toppings
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "I also advocate for the crockpot in the warmer months.. I've heard of people plugging them in their garage or outside on the deck to avoid the heat of anything (although it isn't much)."

That is an excellent idea. Last night I noticed it was certainly warmer in my kitchen and we only used the crock pot and rice cooker. I've got a table out on my patio and am going to try that this weekend! Thank you for the tip.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know you said you're sick of salads, but give this a try:

Cheese Burger Chop

-1 veggie or hamburger (the veg burgers I buy have only 140 calories_
    -1 slice of low fat cheese melted on burger
    -Chopped onion
    -Chopped peppers
    -Chopped celery
    -Chopped mushtooms
    -3 cups of shredded iceburg lettuce
    -2 tbsp croutons

Cook the burger, then chop it into bite size pieces. Toss everything together with your fav low cal dressing and enjoy!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    When it gets into the 100s I use the slow cooker because it doesn't make much heat in the house.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The Chicken and salsa recipe sounds delicious. Could you please send a recipe for that?

I'd like the Chicken and salsa as well. Here is the Santa Fe Chicken from skinnytaste.com. It was awesome! Both my teenagers scarfed it up and never once questioned it. We ate ours over rice and there is a lot left over. We all decided it would be fantastic in burritos, or as a quesadilla filling.

Slow cooked shredded chicken with corn, tomatoes and black beans. Prepare the night before and turn your crock pot on in the morning for an easy weeknight meal. Low fat and low in points. Serve over rice with chopped scallions, fresh cilantro, fat free sour cream and reduced fat cheddar.

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 8 servings • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 190 • Fat: 1.5 g • Fiber: 5.6 g • Carbs: 23.1 g • Protein: 21 g

Ingredients:

24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
    14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
    15 oz can black beans
    8 oz frozen corn
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
    3 scallions, chopped
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
    salt to taste

Directions:

Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning. Serve over rice or in a tortilla (extra pts).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When it's this hot out, the meat part of the meal gets grilled/bbq'd outside by hubby and I quickly boil up the veg and starch sides inside. It's usually starting to cool off by the time we eat dinner (around 7pm) so it's not too unbearable. There are so many options out there for meat marinades, we have something new and interesting just about every night! Much more interesting than our usual weekly meals during the cold months.

Crockpots are great too. Plenty of recipe ideas out there on the web!
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Great recommendatons for the crockpot, thanks everyone. When the heat hits here I'm in 100% grill mode. Love Beer Can Chicken but the calories bite so have modified by using Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast cut into cubes for Kabobs and seasoned with Beer Can Chicken rub. Grill until done, serve with your favorite grilled veggies. Yummy, I make extra chicken to use the next day on salads.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    sometimes all my family wants is something cool to eat. We'll actually pull out the cereal and milk! Fruit and yogurt with something crunchy on top is always nice. I know it's really hot to try and stand over the grill - those are the days I make "hobo pockets" You can put pretty much anything in heavy duty or double layer aluminum foil and let it "bake" on the grill at a medium/low heat. I like potato wedges, onion, sausage, and cheese sauce. Fish, lemon, and asparagus is also popular at my house. We've done O'brien style potatoes with a burger patty on top too.
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    How about cottage cheese with fruit? Simple, cool, yummy. Or yogurt, if you prefer.