Cramping calves?

Options
My boyfriend wanted to see if anyone has any answers as to why his calves always cramp up during exercise. We're both doing Insanity together and he can't even make it through the warm up because his calves get really tight. Should he be stretching before the warm up? Or is there another reason why this is happening? Any answers would be appreciated!

Replies

• ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Too much walking for me.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I have terrible leg cramps. Try the Hyland's leg cramp remedies. They are the best I've found.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The FDA is recommending strongly against quinine based solutions for leg cramps. There can be serious side effects up to and including death. According to the FDA, 1 in 25 people have some sort of reaction.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    He needs to make sure he's wearing good shoes and is well hydrated, if he still has a problem he may be low in potassium - try switching to a low-sodium table salt. Also avoid exercising the night after drinking, I get terrible calf cramps when I've been drinking wine.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Had problems with cramping also, now my stretching routine includes my calf muscles and it is no longer an issue.
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't do a lot of jumping or plyo, his calves might not be accustomed to the workout. I had the same problem when I started doing HIIT workouts that had a lot of jumping, landing softly on the balls of the feet. It sucked because the muscles felt really wound up and tight a couple mins in but the rest of you was doing fine. I kept doing the workouts, and in about two weeks of starting the HIITs the calves caught up, haven't had that problem again and now I'm rolling through Insanity just fine.

He's not going to like this answer, but the tight calves might be something he's just gotta work through. He could try doing some high knees or whatever exercise that doesn't bother his calves for about 1-2 mins until he feels warm and do some calf stretches against a wall, then start the Insanity workout for the day. When he gets that tightness in the calves, try to keep moving, switch to something that doesn't bother his calves as much, and do controlled breaths exhaling fully from the core. It sucks when you can't go at full capacity because your calves won't cooperate.
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Very helpful replies!