Need help with Seasoning Ideas

I am desperate for help with seasoning. I can cook really good, but mostly unhealthy southern and Italian meals. I have looked up healthy recipes, but I find that they are very detailed and require a lot of ingredients. I really need something simple, but tasty. My husband refuses to eat healthy foods with me, so I am going to have to cook separate meals for myself. I can't spend a whole lot of money on them since I'll be buying his meals and mine. Please help & thanks!

How do you season a chicken for baking? I need as many ideas as possible- I want to really cover up that "chicken" taste with healthy seasoning.

How do you season salmon? Do you bake it? Or, do you grill it?

How would you season your steak? What is the healthiest kind to get?

How do I season steamed veggies?

Sorry for all the questions.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    On baked chicken I like to sprinkle on some sage, rosemary, garlic salt and pepper.

On grilled salmon I like to sprinkle on lemon pepper, garlic powder and salt.

On baked salmon I like to squeeze lemon on it, and bake it with lemons and onions and season with a little salt and pepper.

On my steak, I season it with a McCormick Grill Mate seasoning, there are many flavors, it comes out delicious!

On steamed veggies you can do a variety of things, you can steam them with garlic right with them, you can use salt and pepper, you can use Mrs. Dash any flavor, you can steam them in chicken broth, the possibilities are endless, it just depends on what you like.

I hope this helps! I'm not sure what the healthiest kind of steak is, sorry!
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    For roasting chicken, I like to add lemon juice, a tiny bit of soy sauce, a bit of cayenne pepper or chilli powder, garlic, salt, pepper, and a bit of honey (it makes it go a bit sticky but add it later otherwise it'll burn!).
    Alternatively you could do some olive oil, lemon juice (it makes the chicken more tender), dried basil, salt and pepper. I guess if you like cooking Italian you'll have basil around already :)

Salmon I keep simple with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Sometimes I pan fry it but I prefer it grilled.

Not sure about steak... sorry!

steamed veggies I find a bit of salt is enough if you're having them as part of a meal. But like coliemarieale said, it depends on taste.

Hope that helped a bit at least!
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Dill works great with salmon :) I always add lemon to fish, and then maybe black pepper and dill, for instance, or fennel and cayenne (YUUUUM)
    I've had to try a lot of different herbs/spices because I'm watching sodium and adding salt to everything isn't helping my health goals :)

Oh, with chicken, try baking it with rosemary, thyme, and garlic. Mmmmmmm :)

ETA I have a friend who's a chef who wishes he could beat people who do more to their steak than oil it and add a little rock salt / sea salt and crushed black pepper. I'm not saying he's right, but he sure does make it taste GOOD, so I guess his way is at least one good way.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    I grow cilantro, thyme, chives, basil and rosemary.
    Last night I cooked 5lbs chicken breast.
    Olive oil rub with fresh rosemary and thyme and they came out perfect.
    Golden brown!
  • Thank you all for the great ideas! :)
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Ok, here goes. And this is how we (African American) season our food so that it is flavorful but not salty. Warning it involves a few kinds of seasonings but the meat is so flavorful.

These seasonings can be found at your local grocery store or ethnic grocer. I use a lot of the salt-free McCormick Seasonings (Garlic Pepper, Lemon Pepper,Mediterranean,Vegetable, Chicken and Seafood kinds). Now for the seasoning I use with salt, use them sparingly: Badia Complete Sazon, Adobo (yellow the red top), and Tony Chacheros More Spice.

I also use random garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and spice rack seasoning every now and again. But some fresh seasonings just don't cut it. They need to paired with others to truly bring out their flavor. Use any of 3-5 of these combinations listed above and a sprinkle/pinch (I do mean a sprinkle) of salt and the food will be so flavorful.

My husband loves me because he states, it's one thing to know how to cook but if it's not seasoned it's gross. Everytime my meat is seasoned to perfection without being salty. Also when cooking vegetables add in some fat free chicken broth and 2-3 bouillon cubes, teaspoon of butter, McCormick Vegtable Seasoning and Badia Complete Sazon and these will be the tastiest vegetables you've ever eaten! It just wakes them up. Send me a message and I'll be glad to help you out. I cook healthy still but with a southern flair. My husband doesn't know the difference. He was like your husband and was very resistant at first. I had to fix his behind! He was not about to sit up there and refuse to eat my cooking! now he's asking for seconds and taking them to lunch!
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    BTW. Those seasonings can be used for everything. I load em up everytime. Don't be afraid to be liberal unless they contain salt. For salmon, I use Old Bay, Butter, Rosemary, Lemon Pepper, Salt, and seafood seasoning I got from Garden ridge. Oh yeah they also have a recipe on the internet that is the BOMB.COM. It's called Honey-Soy Broiled Salmon.Your husband will love you! Cook with some fresh green beans (not the canned ones, yuck) and mashed potatoes and baby let me tell you!
    Here is the link: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/honey-ginger-grilled-salmon-2/

As for Steak, season with the Complete Sazon, McCormick Chicken, Adobo, and Black Pepper. Make sure your pan is hot. Sear in each side for five minutes. Don't flip to see if done. Place in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 6 -10 minutes depending on how done you'd like it. Take it out and let it sit. Serve with some sides of your choice and voila!