Teacher looking to get healthy and gain energy

Options
I am a 47 year old 2nd grade teacher who has been teaching for almost 12 years. I have been dealing with various health problems the last two years most of which finally led to three different chronic infections. Needless to say, my immune system has taken a hit and my energy levels are close to zero. I am looking to eat healthy (I'm following a moderate diet based on the glycemic index choosing low index items where possible). I'm not in a rush this time. I'm choosing to make healthy choices every day while not denying myself anything I really want. I'm also not throwing out all my old food. I'm eating it then exchanging it for healthier choices when its gone. I don't do diets but I'm also finding the food diary very helpful. I'm adding exercise slowly to build up stamina. I think if I continue making small changes slowly eventually I will make my goal of losing 36 pounds and being able to exercise every day without experiencing extreme fatigue.

Replies

• laulamoo
    laulamoo Posts: 13
    Options
    Good on you!! I'm a teacher too, although only for 2 years so definitely not as experienced! I started the MFP 'journey' attempting to build my energy levels and lose a few pounds. It's been working and makes life a lot easier! I love your wise approach to it as well, take it slowly and steadily. If you need motivation add me as a friend. I've found it so helpful to have supportive people on here (especially to keep me accountable on the days when there is a students birthday and they bring in cupcakes!)
    :)
  • LeanneNovatscou
    LeanneNovatscou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, its great what you are doing. I am 45 and just started my own business and group so if you would like support along the way feel free to join my group page youcandofit. Best of luck with reaching your goals
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Your plan sounds like a good one. I try to stick to things on the low glycemic end of the scale. I want to avoid diabetes and protect my heart, and sticking with low glycemic foods seems to be my best bet for accomplishing that. I imagine teaching 2nd graders is exhausting. As a second career, I taught 6-12 graders for a while, then decided to just substitute teach. I found that the younger the children, the more exhausted I was at the end of the day. Now, I stick with the older students. I salute you for your dedication to your 2nd graders! :flowerforyou:
  • Pinky1147
    Pinky1147 Posts: 105
    Options
    Welcome!! I also teach 2nd grade. :) Feel free to add me for support. Good luck!
  • nerdmaker
    nerdmaker Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome support! Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I usually avoid forums so I didn't know at first how to find when someone replied to my posts. As you see, I finally figured it out :embarassed: