Stop Running Altogether or Run Less Before 1/2 Marathon?

Options
Hello!

When I joined MFP about a little under a month ago, I decided to start running again (stopped running in 2009-10ish) with the goal of running my first half marathon in the fall. I've been running about 3 times a week, and the first time I went out, I could only run about 1 mile, the 2nd time I ran 3+, by my 4th run, I was running 5, and last Saturday I ran almost 8.

Running anything under 4 miles, I really don't feel any pain during or after. However, running longer distances I get knee, calf, and hip pain. I am guessing this may be due to trying to run too far a distance too soon.

My question is: Would I be better off taking a complete break from running to let my legs and hips heal? Or, can I continue to run under 4 mile distances and work my way up to longer distances in time?

As a follow up question... if I should stop running completely for a time, would walking long distances help me train for the half marathon almost as much as running?

If anyone has advice or experience with joint pain and running, I'd be grateful to hear it!

Thanks!

Replies

• eimajb18
    eimajb18 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    anyone have advice?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    From the description you gave it looks like you are just overstraining yourself and haven't developed any injuries yet. I think that you could go back to 4 mile runs during the week and gradually build the long run on the weekend. Start out at 4 and do something like this: 4, 5, 4, 6, 7, 5, 8, 9, 6. 10. 11. 7. Once you are running pain free you can add another run or extend the weekday runs if you want to.

If you have to take time off walking will help, but not very much. I think that at least a couple of times a week you should do some sort of crosstraining that elevates your heartrate.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I used a 12 week program to train for my half marathon.....short/moderate runs during the week, long runs once a week, increasing in distance each week until I did a full 13 mile run a week before the race and then I took the week prior off to rest. If you google "half marathon training schedule" you'll get a whole slew to choose from. I used a 12 week plan and it worked out great.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You really need to make sure that you have the right running shoes. Go to a running store, in Colorado we have Runner's Roost and Boulder Running Co., and have them video tape you running. They will fit you with the proper shoes and it'll make a world of a difference. If you don't have good shoes you will ruin your knees, ankles, shins, hips, etc.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another thing you may want to consider are exercises to strengthen your hips and glutes. A lot of knee pain is actually the result of muscular imbalances .

Some great resources on runnersworld.com

Dial it back and build up gradually. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast.

Have fun!
  • lamerek
    lamerek Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner (started 10 months ago), but I'll echo what other folks have said.

Google "half marathon training for beginner" and you'll get a good variety of plans.

I say go see a doctor if you're having pain. Your primary care could probably refer you to a sports medicine doc. It might be something minor that some targeted stretches might help. Better to be safe than sorry—and develop a serious injury that will sideline you for the half.

Good running shoes are essential, as well as good form, and not over training. I've just added strength training to my cross training, and it's apparently pretty key to keep you strong and pain-free. You might look in to that.

Personally I like ChiRunning for information on form. I also like anothermotherrunner.com for info about women, mothers, and running.

As for training, the "rule" I've heard is to only add 10% each week to your running. For example, I'm slowly ramping up my weekend long runs, and this week went from 6.4 miles (last week) to 7 miles—adding 10% of the previous run to this week's run. Adding too much mileage too soon will cause injuries, I've heard.

Congrats on getting back to running! :)

Kate.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Another thing you may want to consider are exercises to strengthen your hips and glutes. A lot of knee pain is actually the result of muscular imbalances .

THIS