Hot Water & Lemon First Thing

Options
Does drinking a glass of hot water and lemon first thing really work? I've read it everywhere and people always seem to mention it in "what do they eat" style columns - does it actually make a difference?

Replies

• evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I always start the day with a Green Tea - It makes me feel full of energy.
    It is probably a placebo effect, but as long as it works for me mentally, I don't mind :)
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I start every morning with hot water and lemon, I find it quite easy to take first thing particularly if you aren't up to eating yet.

I have heard it's also meant to cleanse your body, to be honest I can't confirm this however since I have started taking it I get less colds - thinking all that vitamin c can't be bad!!
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Its horrible for your teeth though.
  • conleyclan
    Options
    I have been hearing recently that drinking hot/warm water is supposed to make you feel full. To quench a thirst, drink cold water.
    I haven't tried it, but I know that when I eat soup or other hot liquids, I do feel full quicker. Can't hurt to try!!
  • Gazjam_1985
    Options
    its only bad for your teeth if you drink straight lemon juice, diluted its fine.

I drink juice of 2 lemons a day, not particularly for "weight loss" just because research tells me it does loads of other good stuff for your body, as its unseen suff I trust its happening. It does also seem to accelerate weight loss though in my experience, perhaps becuase it acts as an appetite suppressant?

I just juice 1 lemon into a cup and top up with water, seems to be working for me.
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I checked with my dentist as was worried about potentially damaging the enamel of my teeth.

His response was that there was no issue with drinking it once a day as long as I made sure I waited at least an hour before brushing my teeth as that could lead to damage. He also recommended drinking a glass of water afterwards to 'wash out' my mouth.

I have been drinking it for a while now and there has been no issues but guess it worth being aware.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Its horrible for your teeth though.

True! I always have very sensitive teeth when I start doing the lemon water thing again. Important not to brush teeth before or after eating or drinking anything acidic. Wait at least a half hour. That said, lemon is acidic outside the body but alkaline inside the body ( or something like that). It's wonderful hot or cold. Drink up and enjoy the many benefits.
  • claudia778
    claudia778 Posts: 12
    Options
    But so is soda, coffee and tea:happy:
  • Alicemay24
    Alicemay24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to drink warm water and lemon juice every morning first thing and started getting a swore stomach, I think it must be bad for your esophagus. I stopped and the pain went away
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    I drink it all day long. I carry around the real lemon juice and squeeze it into my water! I say drink up!!
  • WannaBslique
    Options
    It has been found that lemon juice and grapefruit juice has suppressant properties. It is also true that lemon is good to your liver as well it works as a cleanse.
  • roflsauce
    roflsauce Posts: 21
    Options
    There really is nothing that proves this actually works. Probably placebo all the way. The easiest way to find out how it is, is trying it, though it probably doesn't taste very good. Drinking water in general will help with feeling full, even cold water. The body also needs to warm the water you're drinking, so you might actually be able to burn calories by drinking cold water, who knows.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oooh I did that for a while, and totally felt a difference. in the am, our bodies are in cleansing mode. ie getting rid of waste etc, and to do this first thing really helps that process.I read that lemons are a diuretic so they help clean out the liver. i should start doing that again!
  • eyouse
    eyouse Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Green tea or coffee first thing for me, I really notice it makes my tummy feel better and helps with my digestion :)
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Oooh I did that for a while, and totally felt a difference. in the am, our bodies are in cleansing mode. ie getting rid of waste etc, and to do this first thing really helps that process.I read that lemons are a diuretic so they help clean out the liver. i should start doing that again!

I had heard it cleanses the liver too and used to do it but got out of the habit. I used to lose more weight when I did it. - I think I will start again too:smile:
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    The first thing I have every morning is a cup of hot lemon water. I use the TrueLemon packets. I had stopped at one point and I really noticed the difference. Because it is a natural diuretic, it helps relieve water retention which causes bloat. When I went back to drinking it everyday, I noticed I am less bloated.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    althought lemons are acidic it is said that once it enters your body it is alkaline. I drink it every day all day. 1 lemon though to 1.78 liters of water only because i'm watching my carbs. otherwise i would drink more lemons.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my friend takes 1lemon in warm water in the am and in the pm.. right before bedtime and before breakfast and she believes it has helped her with her arthritis.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I drink it all day long. I carry around the real lemon juice and squeeze it into my water! I say drink up!!

This ^^^^^^^
    I do the same thing and it is the only way I get my 8 cups a day of water. I use 1 lemon a day keep lemon wedge in glass of water with ice
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I like my morning coffee with a spoonful of honey and half a tsp cinnamon. That also has its health benefits.
    As for lemon water, I drink copious amounts (6-7pints) of the stuff at work, but I drink it cold. It's actually mostly lime juice I dilute but I squeeze fresh lemon in there too. It seems to give me energy and help me control my appetite.