is it ok to drink protein shakes?

Options
i was just wondering because they say if u r heavy its not a good idea because it would just make you gain more weight or get bulky i should say . is there a certain weight when u start to begin to drink protein shakes?
?

Replies

• Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Protein is a healthy part of ANY diet at ANY size, just figure out how much preotein you need a day based on your goals.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Who is 'they' first of all. Second, a protein shake is just that, protein. It's calories and won't do anything different than eating protein from a different source. Third, what is your goal in using protein shakes?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    God I hope so! Otherwise I have been doing something very very wrong!

I would avoid anything specifically designed for adding mass- things that have names like WEIGHT GAINER XXXL - they will have a bunch of unnecessary calories, on purpose. Anything that is just protein - like 100% whey for example, can be very useful in meeting your protein requirements while on a calorie restricted diet.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Depends what kind. I drink pure trim wellness shakes! Great for u

Edit*** Lol I should have read what u actually wrote first! U would gain weight if ur drinking them plus eating ur full meals. U gotta take the shake in place of a meal
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I live on protein shakes. I wouldn't have the success in losing weight that I do without them. No I'm not gaining and nor am I "bulky" even though I'd love to be.

I blend mine every morning with spinace and fruit and get in 6 servings of fruit and veggies in one class. Can't do better than that!
  • cryshelle247
    cryshelle247 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    well my friends and a family member were telling me not to drink protein shakes because they will make me get bulky. i was going to drink protein shakes as a replacement meal just to be full instead of splurging on something like a pizza pockets or sweet.
  • michaelispas
    michaelispas Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are for supplementing the amount of protein you need each day, to finish up your protein intake plus it can be done as a recovery drink after a hard workout. It all zooms on what your nutrition is like each day. Are you trying to lose weight? Get toned? Like if I eat about 200g of protein each day, a protein shake gives me 60g protein (including milk), that's about 4 or 5 chicken tenderloins I don't have to eat!
  • cryshelle247
    Options
    im trying to lose weight first
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No one food choice will make you bulky if you are honestly logging all of your food and eating at a calorie deficit. Protein shakes are easy supplements to get more protein. I subscribe to the "one gram of protein per pound of lean body weight" theory, so I try to get over 120 grams of protein a day. Being a vegetarian, protein shakes key to helping me meet my protein goals while losing weight.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    well my friends and a family member were telling me not to drink protein shakes because they will make me get bulky. i was going to drink protein shakes as a replacement meal just to be full instead of splurging on something like a pizza pockets or sweet.

Great idea! Plus u should add frozen spinach! I add frozen banana's, and frozen blueberries too!! It's great for u, and easy to digest, good break for ur system! Just get the right kind cause there is "bulking up" ones. But still, those are meant to be just added to what ur eating now for extra calories and protein. U won't gain weight, u'll lose if anything.. If u do it right forsure! I love my protein shakes! I have one basically everyday for lunch! (:
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I live on protein shakes. I wouldn't have the success in losing weight that I do without them. No I'm not gaining and nor am I "bulky" even though I'd love to be.

I blend mine every morning with spinace and fruit and get in 6 servings of fruit and veggies in one class. Can't do better than that!

This!!! I started drinking them in may when I started losing weight. Now I'm addicted! I've been having 2 a day sometimes, 1 by itself as breakfast, and another one at night with a smaller dinner. I'm losing almost 3 lb a week pretty consistently and haven't noticed bulkiness.

Try it and see if it's right for you too
  • cryshelle247
    Options
    thanks u guys for all the help i will try blending some up now .... and the blueberries and bannanas thing sounds so deelish
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Protein is important to healthy nutrition and will help keep you feeling fuller longer and you will not get bulky from it. You will also not get bulky from weight training. I have been doing both for the last 2 years and it was the best thing I could have done.

If weight training I recommend you find a good class that will teach you proper form or work with a personal trainer for 1 or 2 sessions and tell them you want to lean good form. This will help you form getting injuries. For example when doing a squat your knees should never go past your toes.

EAS (sold at Wal-Mart) makes a great pre mixed shake in single serve containers chocolate vanilla and strawberry. EAS has been around for years.

Also Soy beans are a great source of protein without the cholesterol you will find in meat products. Plus soy beans have all 8 amino acids needed to make a complete protein. Almond milk is nice and sweet and less cholesterol too. Seapoint Farms makes a Dry Roasted Edamame (soy bean) that is a great snack ¼ cups has 8g fiber 14g protein and only 130 calories.

I love Body by VI shakes myself. I usually have one with fresh berries or bannana and cinnamon in it in the morning made with sweet Almond milk and really love the taste. . There is one WARNING with it I would not recommend you order it form them or a distributor for them. You can get it on Amazon. If you do buy it from a distributor or VI they will make you a distributor charge you credit card every month and charge you for a web site fee so you can sell it. I have known people who had a hard time canceling the automatic charge.

Good luck!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Healthy Protein shakes are certainly not off limits!! The important thing to remember is to Stay in your calorie deficit. That is how you lose weight. So as long as the protein shakes fit into your calorie goal for the day...your fine!!
  • AvaMoon
    AvaMoon Posts: 13
    Options
    A suggestion would be the GNC Lean Shakes. They have 25g of protein and all kinds of added vitamins. For a 14oz bottle is 170 calories. I drink 2 a day as recommended. They are pretty tasty. I drink the pre made bottles, 4 for 8.99, because I am really too lazy to mix them myself andI feel that they taste much better than the powder. However, they have a larger variety with the powder and you can mix fruit and make smoothies if you want. Anyhow, you might want to try that.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I believe it's impossible for women to get bulky. You can lift all day and you won't get bulky. We don't have enough testosterone for that. So don't worry about it. Protein is good for you.
  • gone2facebookprint
    gone2facebookprint Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is great to know.. I was wondering about this also.. I usually only do the protein when I know I am going to do a nice workout...

Should it be a daily replacement or just a workout meal replacement??