Does a Low Carb Diet Kill Your Appetite?

Options
Not sure if this is just me but being on a moderate to low carb diet like South Beach has a remarkable effect on killing my appetite. it doesn't happen all at once. The first day I am still craving sweets and whatnot and miss them. Then less the second day. By the end of the first week, even though I am eating the same amount each day, I feel progressively more full each day. After a week or so I find myself having to force food down at dinnertime.

When doing this kind of diet, I can add a couple tablespoons of beans to my salads and I still get this effect. Any bread or other starch though, even oatmeal or brown rice, and I am back to being hungry, even if the calorie count of the day is equal.

Does anyone else have this experience?

Replies

• akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    You're hormones are all fuked up, you're most likely leptin resistant which is the hormone that triggers satiety (feeling of fullness) and you're most likely insulin resistant which causes a spike in blood sugar every time you eat carbs which has been linked to obesity due to over eating, obviously. Stick to low carb until your body balances itself out. How do you know this? you stop wanting to eat MORe everytime you have carbs
  • Barracuda365
    Options
    bm
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I notice my appetite goes down when I cut back on carbs. I am not even that strict with it, but I do notice the diffence and try not too eat too much bread, potatoes, rice etc. I don't seem to crave chocolate and desserts like I used to.
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    Yes!
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Also, A lot of people don't realize that they have hormonal imbalances, which is a significant factor to our bodies relationship with food, both physiologically and psychologically due to a POOR diet. People who over indulge and are gluttonous and just CAN'T stop, has leptin reistance, leptin is a key hormone in metabolism, appetite and energy expenditure.

If you want proper hormonal balance, you need a balanced diet, but for now, stay away from the carbs til everything corrects itself then have a diet balanced in carbs, fats and protein. Fat is important because it is a precursor to having proper insulin, glucagon and epinephrine levels
  • Kayletsgo
    Kayletsgo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Exact same thing is happening with me...

Before I was just eating whatever, and keeping below my calories, and I was having hard times meeting that limit. Now I'm eating low carb, moderate fat and high protein diets and I'm full all the time, as well as full of energy and I just feel better.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Is the protein not hormones, when i eat alot fo protein im not hungry either, they do feel you so well. But I love carbs and in the form of cereal is best for me, so I always have some of that and it does make me want more.
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    Not sure if this is just me but being on a moderate to low carb diet like South Beach has a remarkable effect on killing my appetite. it doesn't happen all at once. The first day I am still craving sweets and whatnot and miss them. Then less the second day. By the end of the first week, even though I am eating the same amount each day, I feel progressively more full each day. After a week or so I find myself having to force food down at dinnertime.

When doing this kind of diet, I can add a couple tablespoons of beans to my salads and I still get this effect. Any bread or other starch though, even oatmeal or brown rice, and I am back to being hungry, even if the calorie count of the day is equal.

Sounds like it is working for you! Great!
  • benegesserit
    Options
    Yes, that's my experience too. The first few weeks are rough, though, getting over the carb cravings.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

When you cut the carbs you are likely replacing them with more nutritious foods, and you're not having cravings anymore.

People that eat a lot of carbs are also probably not eating a lot of fiber and other things that would keep them satisfied.
  • healthymission92
    Options
    You're hormones are all fuked up, you're most likely leptin resistant which is the hormone that triggers satiety (feeling of fullness) and you're most likely insulin resistant which causes a spike in blood sugar every time you eat carbs which has been linked to obesity due to over eating, obviously. Stick to low carb until your body balances itself out. How do you know this? you stop wanting to eat MORe everytime you have carbs

Really? I get this alot, when I don't eat carbs (other than veg) I'm never hungry and feel satisfied. If I eat carbs, I crave like crazy... so do I just keep low carbs until I can control it??