I´m scared this will be too hard to achieve. :C

Options
Hi there...well, I´m young, and I´ve always had problems with my weight, since I was a little kid. This is the second time I go on a diet although. The first time, I started in a program that was pretty much like Weight Watchers, but I found out it was getting too expensive for me, so I quitted. I never made a lot of progress, I think it is because I didn´t work out a lot.
I´m scared now, because I need to lose like 66 pounds...and well, it´s my third day and I´m almost freaking out because I managed to resist temptations such as candies and bread and those things the whole weekend but today I had a huge hamburguer, and now I feel like the little progress I made is now on the trash. :C
I went running today, but I still feel it´s not enough. Tomorrow I´m going to start going to a gym, and I really hope it will help, but I´d like to learn more about how to control myself or what food is better and which one I should avoid. I´ve removed soda and tortillas (My family eats them a lot) so far, but what else should I try? Which kinds of excersises would help me the most?
Anything would be really helpful. Also, I would appreciate tips for using My Fitness Pal, since this is my first time here.
Thanks for reading and good luck for everyone :D !

Replies

• dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP

I am no expert but have been doing this since Oct 2011

My tip would be to think long term - there are no quick fixes or micle exercises

You need to find stuff you enjoy and can do long term.

I know it sounds hard but aim to lose 1lb a week - that way you stand more chance of keeping it off

Exercise: try lots, find stuff you enjoy and do it cos you enjoy it - not becuase it will speed up your weight loss

Eat cleaner, less processed food and more fresh stuff

Eat back your exercise calories - you will still lose weight and have energy to do more

Fell free to add me as a friend if you want

Diane
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Take it one step at a time. No food decision will doom your progress... Only quitting will doom your progress. So if you make a bad decision... Don't sweat it... Just work to do better. It is about making lifestyle changes... Eat things you enjoy.. just less of them. Cutting things like soda, sugars and such can certainly help but don't totally eliminate anything.. Even have a tortilla every now and then... Just do everything in moderation. Set your goal to lose at the rate you want to lose and make sure that on MOST days, you keep it at or a little under that goal.. Exercise is very good... Do both aerobic exercises such as walking and running AND resistance training... such as weights.. Lift heavy... That means lift at a level that it requires work for your muscles... and eat plenty of protein to build on your muscle stores... When you do this, you gain muscle which makes your body more efficient at losing fat. Take it one day at a time.. You can do this.. Just stick with it! Best wishes on your journey.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    First of all, DON'T give up anything you love!!! Just remember, everything in moderation!! If you are craving a burger have one.... cut back somewhere else for the day or do a little more exercise to make up for the calories. Today is only one day, tomorrow is a new one, log everything you had today and let it go! Start fresh in the morning!! you can do this!! We all can! To start make sure your exercise is FUN! you are more likely to do it in the beginning if you enjoy it!! Play basketball with some friends, dance, anything that gets you heart rate up is good!! Use the MFP food database and the internet to find out the nutrition info in restaurants before you go if you can, and decide ahead of time what you are going to have so you are not tempted by the tasty pics on the menu!! And use the MFP recipe calculator to figure up meals at home. And above all make some friends on here for support!! Feel free to add me if you would like!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    You are young. Do it now and it will be a lot easier than putting it off!

My advice, read, learn... soak in as much as you can. The more you learn the more you will realise that a hamburger will not derail your efforts, and you will learn what it takes to be successful. This is not about lettuce leaves and steamed chicken - it is about moderation, some self-control, and making smart choices.

At the end of the day we all have two choices. One is to live, learn, better yourself and acheive your goals. The other is to wallow in your misery, stay fat and take another five ten or twenty years to come back to the same place searching for answers.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but get out there and do it! If you want support, myself and a heap of others here are happy to share what little knowledge we have to help you on your way.
  • rtpjmlm5
    rtpjmlm5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm also no expert but I've lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks and I have about 50 more to lose and that is kinda scary but my trick is to still eat a lot of the food I was eating before just weighing and measuring everything filling up on vegetables and limiting the unhealthy fats. My family also eats a lot of tortillas were hispanic but I've learned to cutback on the amount that I eat i still eat bread every day also just take a look at my diary and you'll see that I eat quite a bit. As for excersize all I do is mostly walking and cleaning my house. I know you can do this don't become discouraged by 1 cheeseburger. I went to in n out a couple of weeks ago and pigged out but I didnt feel guilty afterwards. I just kept going... Just keep moving... You will do this. I'm going to request you as a friend. Good luck to you on your journey!!!
  • jkrau37
    jkrau37 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi and welcome
    yes it can be scary, but its not hard at all when you use this site. I'm much older and tried a lot of other methods. My daughter (who is NOT overweight at all) put me onto this site, as she uses it to assist with weight maintenance. She's a dancer and actually needs to check that she's eating enough. This was part of my problem too. I was eating too little during that day and sending my body into starvation mode then when I ate at night and wasn't exercising, everything i ate turned to fat. So small meals, often, are a good idea.

I have found this site very useful - am not looking at it as a diet - this site is great for a food diary, which is the best way to help you lose weight because you can record what you have eaten throughout the day.
    To ensure that I keep on top of things I update at every meal (and snack) so that I can keep on top of things. My main problem has mainly been portion control rather than naughty foods - so this site is excellent for that - it does all the calculations for you.
    You can even calculate foods that you are consider eating - e.g. if you are out (especially at a fast food restnt) then you can key in the food you are contemplating and it will calculate what the calories are and you can change your mind if it too much.

I have found I no longer feel guilty by having the occassional treat as long its not too often. So don't beat yourself up over the hamburger - at least it wasn't deep fried food.
    Ensure that you drink lots of water, its important to flush out the nasties.

I don't record my exercise until the end of day as it adds useable calories onto your daily limit and that can put you into a false sense of security, tempting you to justify that you could eat more during the day.
    My weight has fluctuated for years due to illness and fluid levels, but since I have been using this site I have not been bloated and my weight is falling off, Finally!

grab a fitness buddy to help you along the way, it always helps to have someone to 'keep you honest'.
    good luck.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Take it one step at a time. No food decision will doom your progress... Only quitting will doom your progress. So if you make a bad decision... Don't sweat it... Just work to do better. It is about making lifestyle changes... Eat things you enjoy.. just less of them. Cutting things like soda, sugars and such can certainly help but don't totally eliminate anything.. Even have a tortilla every now and then... Just do everything in moderation.

I think this is very good advice but I'd be weary about 'everything in moderation' part, junk food is junk food after all, the less you have of it the better, but certainly don't sweat it if you make a bad decision just don't quit, if you have one bad day, one bad week, get back on track again the next day, the next week. You have obviously been eating badly most of your life so just eating less of the old types of food you have won't cut it imo - you need to radically alter your diet - just keep tweaking it, keep looking up what other people are doing, especially people you admire. You don't have to be miserable with your diet btw, that's the good news, eating healthy actually means you can have tasty wholesome food. Don't starve yourself on this - as one poster said 1 lb a week weight loss will make it easier for you to keep it off and stick with it.

For a newbie - mistakes can be made identifying just what exactly is junk food also. Basically imo most processed foods - as depending on the processed food type they can contain added sugar, added salt, transient fats, reduced fibre. Personally I've also cut out bread - not categorically saying bread is junk - but I find it bloating and found cutting it out has helped. Make sure also to eat some healthy fats in your diet - Oolive oil, nuts such as hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts - nuts also have fibre and protein - but don't go too overboard as they are high in calories.

Exercise :- First of all do something! Really good exercise to burn stuff off is anything that gets your heart rate really pumping, get yourself a HRM. Insanity from Beqchbody is very good for that. You can burn > 500 cals in 40 minutes. Also I've just strted using Kettlebells - they seem really good both for getting your heart rate up and building strength.

Good luck, btw you have a big advantage over many of us, you're young, if I had access to this site, this info and my current mindset when I was 20 years younger what I could have done with it! Sigh! So take your opportunity now to transform yourself. You can do a helluva lot if you are determined and don't let excuses or negativity drag you down! Go 4 it!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Plan on losing it the same way you gained it...one day at a time.

Each meal and each portion is a choice and a decision.

Don't starve yourself. Eat healthy foods. Drink water and exercise.
  • fatima147
    fatima147 Posts: 85
    Options
    Hi there...well, I´m young, and I´ve always had problems with my weight, since I was a little kid. This is the second time I go on a diet although. The first time, I started in a program that was pretty much like Weight Watchers, but I found out it was getting too expensive for me, so I quitted. I never made a lot of progress, I think it is because I didn´t work out a lot.
    I´m scared now, because I need to lose like 66 pounds...and well, it´s my third day and I´m almost freaking out because I managed to resist temptations such as candies and bread and those things the whole weekend but today I had a huge hamburguer, and now I feel like the little progress I made is now on the trash. :C
    I went running today, but I still feel it´s not enough. Tomorrow I´m going to start going to a gym, and I really hope it will help, but I´d like to learn more about how to control myself or what food is better and which one I should avoid. I´ve removed soda and tortillas (My family eats them a lot) so far, but what else should I try? Which kinds of excersises would help me the most?
    Anything would be really helpful. Also, I would appreciate tips for using My Fitness Pal, since this is my first time here.
    Thanks for reading and good luck for everyone :D !

u know few days ago i was in same place as u r. but what made me change is that u really need patience. i was like u. 1 week i would eat really healthy and the next i would have the heaviest food. the solution is simple. it is impossible for any body to cut all those delicious food in 1 day. what u should do is cut them out of ur lives one by one. 1st u plan that next whole week i can eat anything(within cal limit) except a muffin. a week later u decide that the next week u will avoid doughnuts and muffin together. im 100% sure that this can work. take it easy on ur body. and one setback a week is no big deal. actually u should treat urself every week by having something u love but shouldn't eat.(in reasonable amount) this will help u stay calm and u wont have big setbacks.

believe me i learnt all this from mfp. otherwise people(mom) used to make me quit everything in a day which was horrible coz i never really lost but gained more and more lbs.

also with exercise do what ever u feel u can achieve. u don't need to copy others target (that's what i used to do and failed horribly)

good luck and take care of yourself. u need to understand that i gna take longer than u think so take 1 step at a time. no hurry
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've already taken the absolute biggest step to loosing weight....you've started!

Using MFP and logging everything that goes into your mouth is major to successful weight loss. Knowing how many calories you take in is key. By logging your foods and fluids you will find out what you can really sneak into your diet and what absolutely is not worth it and has to go.

MFP has some tutorial videos....watch them.

You probably have gotten a starting weight, if not do so now....and then don't go near the scale for a month! Why? Because while you're learning how to loose weight....and it truly is a learning process...the scale will more than likely discourage you. Get your act together and get to where you feel like you've got the situation under control and then check in on what the scale says.

One step at a time. One at a time, cut out things you know you should not be eating. It sounds like you're doing good with this already having removed sodas and tortillas from your diet. GOOD FOR YOU! Now, figure out what is next. Once you've gotten that out of your diet and you're comfortable with that, remove something else.....and keep doing this until you're eating healthy, lower calorie foods and keeping those other things for an occasional treat. (I'll treat myself up to once a week if I find that I'm mentally needing it.) And remember, just because you ate one thing that is not on your diet....like today's hamburger...you didn't fall off of the wagon. That's no reason to eat a ton of stuff that is fattening. Don't let yourself fall into that trap.