Fed up!

Options
Grr..... so I have spent the past three weeks being very selective about what I eat and drink. I have upped my exercise considerably from 3 runs a week - to a couple of medium length runs and daily exercise dvs ( a combo of 30 day shred, davina, turbo jam to mix it up).

Weighed myself this morning. I.Have.Stayed.The.Same.

So annoying - and discouraging.

I have one month until my bikini holiday - I have run out of ideas.

Just venting.....

Replies

• mjvasko
    mjvasko Posts: 37
    Options
    Are you drinking your water? Try cutting out sodas, if you haven't.

Keep going, you'll look gorgeous in no time. Not that you don't already (sorry CYA moment).
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    tom?
  • Vivijeanne
    Vivijeanne Posts: 14
    Options
    All I can think is you must be building muscle :(

Have you tried taking measurements to see if you are getting smaller ?
  • Nikkilou1202
    Options
    I understand exactly how you feel. It is so depressing. I have always thought that maybe it is because I am gaining muscle but I have a friend who is a personal trainer, he is super muscly something like 7% body fat and only weighs 70kg, if he was pure muscle would you not think he would weigh more.

I don't really know what to say apart from keep at it, the extra workouts must be improving your overall fitness and metabolic rate. Best of luck.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP how tall are you and how much are you eating daily?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard to believe and seems illogical but three weeks is NOT a long time when it comes to changing our bodies. Increasing exercise can increase water retention. Keep going and suddenly you will drop a couple of pounds. We didnt gain extra weight fast either so patience is king. measurements and pictures tell a better story than the scale every day of the week.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ah- thank you for your replies. :)

Yes, I drink water - lots of it. Limited alcohol - and I account for that on my food diary.

I do build muscle quite easily I think - I know that myshape has changed a lot in the past year since I became more serious about running. It just seems wrong that my weight is at the top end of the healthy weight range for my height.

I am 5'9" - and this morning weighed in at 170lbs. Not happy about that. MFP gives me 1400 per day - which doesn't seem that much actually - and my exercise is generally calculated at between 200 - 500 cals epxenditure depending on what I have done.

I will try and make my diary public - if I can figure it out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What dan said, but also how much weight training is involved in your videos. All the ones I know are all cardio. You need to cut fat not lose weight.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Might be an idea to invest in a really nice one-piece to take off some of the pressure!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    All I can think is you must be building muscle :(

this is a common thought but it is extremely hard (as in impossible) to build (gain) muscle mass from running and in a caloric deficit. it just doesnt work that way. the muscles can be retaining more water than usual from increased exercise but that will stabilize with time.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You are under eating. Most days you barely hit 1400, at least from the last week. If you are using mfp then you should be aiming for 1/2 lb or 1 lb per week and should eat 50-75% of your exercise calories. Also adjust your protejn to 40% and your carbs down to 40%.
  • annie7hudds
    Options
    Might be an idea to invest in a really nice one-piece to take off some of the pressure!

Thanks :) I have one and a bikini - I just want to look as good as i can. We don;t get much chance to see any sunshine in the UK - so it's a big deal !!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Ah- thank you for your replies. :)

Yes, I drink water - lots of it. Limited alcohol - and I account for that on my food diary.

I do build muscle quite easily I think - I know that myshape has changed a lot in the past year since I became more serious about running. It just seems wrong that my weight is at the top end of the healthy weight range for my height.

I am 5'9" - and this morning weighed in at 170lbs. Not happy about that. MFP gives me 1400 per day - which doesn't seem that much actually - and my exercise is generally calculated at between 200 - 500 cals epxenditure depending on what I have done.

I will try and make my diary public - if I can figure it out.

Check your BMR cals. I am your weight, 3 inches taller but my BMR cal requirement is about 1700, yours would be very close to that. If you are burning on average say 300 cals per day exercing and doing nothing else but sitting or lying down, you are at 1100, too low. My guess is that you are replacing and burning those calories with carbohydrates and never getting to the fat cells. It happens a lot with chronic cardio devotees. Consider to get your carbs below 100 g per day, protein and even fats up to replace the calories. Reduce the cardio and if you need to exercise, do something fun that keeps your heart rate in the 55-75% fat burning zone instead of high high rate cardio, and/or do some strength training, no more than 45 mins. Give it 6-8 weeks. You will lose weight and inches. Sorry this is anecdotal in nature, but there are many people who have successfully done this. Good luck. And don't stress. It increases cortisol production and keeps the weight on.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If your profile is what you are now, well you look way skinnier than me and im only 2llbs heavier and 5 9.
  • annie7hudds
    Options
    Lots of good advice - thank you all!

I have changed my goals and protein/carb %. I hope I did it right. I have changed the way Ieat recently too, so am getting my head around that. I have cut out meat and most dairy - but I eat fish most days. It is difficult sometimes to please the whole family at mealtimes, whilst keeping my foodplan on track.

Have to go out now, but will keep at it for the next few weeks.

cheers

Anne
  • annie7hudds
    Options
    If your profile is what you are now, well you look way skinnier than me and im only 2llbs heavier and 5 9.
    Thank you. But I think that is a good photo angle - to be honest. I like it!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    5'9" is about 1700-2k a day to loose fat.
    How much are you eating?
    How long have you been dieting?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    5'9" is about 1700-2k a day to loose fat.
    How much are you eating?
    How long have you been dieting?

Come on Dan, loose fat... lol

Looking at the diary, it was mostly around 1300-1400 calories... and a few spike days to 1600-1700.

OP, in all reality, you need to concentrate on resistance training. RT is what makes you look good in fat and as I always say, losing weight makes you look good in clothes, but losing fat makes you look good naked. And a regime heavy in weight training and eating closer to your TDEE will allow your body to cut body fat.
  • annie7hudds
    Options
    Thanks all.

Yes, I reckon I do need to up my intake. It is just ingrained in my head that if you want to lose weight, eat less. Iknow that isn't the case.

I do use weights in my workouts - only about 3kg though. I have built some pretty muscular shoulders and arms though using them. The workouts I do involve a lot of squats, lunges and press ups too - and ab work. My cardio is usually when I go out running.

Will keep at it and see how it goes. I know I am not overweight - just want to weigh less, it's more 'feminine' IYKWIM. I have been watching my weight since about the age of 12 - so at 44 am a bit fed up!!!! Maybe I need to resign myself to looking more athletic than skinny chick :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks all.

Yes, I reckon I do need to up my intake. It is just ingrained in my head that if you want to lose weight, eat less. Iknow that isn't the case.

I do use weights in my workouts - only about 3kg though. I have built some pretty muscular shoulders and arms though using them. The workouts I do involve a lot of squats, lunges and press ups too - and ab work. My cardio is usually when I go out running.

Will keep at it and see how it goes. I know I am not overweight - just want to weigh less, it's more 'feminine' IYKWIM. I have been watching my weight since about the age of 12 - so at 44 am a bit fed up!!!! Maybe I need to resign myself to looking more athletic than skinny chick :)

You really need to up that weight too, lol. But you should eat around 1700 based on the calculations.