What have you learned this week?

Options
I thought that it might be helpful and keep us inspired if we were to write out a few things that we learned from our new lifestyle change. I am so siked about this that I just gushed to my herb lady, wait til I get to the chiropractor, lol.

I learned that 8 cups of coffee a day are not my friend. I was probably drinking over 1,000 calories a day in flavored creamer. I was constantly tired and in a short time span, I started looking much older than my age. My face was getting blochy and starting to break out. My under eyes were darker and I was gaining weight!! I have been told time and time again that one cup of coffee depletes your body of 3 cups of water. I was probably dehydrated.

I am more willing to take my kids vitamins than my own. I take two in the AM, 2 in the PM. I feel good and I don't feel run down.

Rice cakes are my new best friend. They are not as dry as popcorn and they must fill me up because I did not finish my dinner last night even though I had been starving before I ate them.

My children are sad little eaters. All they want is junk and I used to hand it out willingly. Now because I am trying to do what is right, I can expect them to do the same without being hypocritical. Last night we had grilled chicken salads and EVERYONES salad dressing got measured out and they got told how many calories were in that dressing. I want my kids to understand more about nutrition than I do at a younger age. Does anyone have any ideas on how to share what a calorie is to a child without confusing them and without turning them aneroxic?? I've tried but I don't think that it is too clear.

Making a cup of strong herbal tea and diluting it with seltzer water tastes like a healthy soda without all the sugar.

When I want bubbly, I have seltzer.

Good Earth makes a red tea that it called Sweet and Spicy Red tea. It is awesome and naturally sweetened by the cinnamon. I don't even desire to put any in.

If I preinput my meals for the day instead of just trying to wing it, I am able to adjust my menu so that I can eat more foods that are lower in calories meaning more food!!!

I TBSP of nonfat plain yogurt can be used in place of sour cream. It can also be added to a salad and mixed in to make it creamer without having to use more dressing. There are only 5 calories per TBSP.

If I eat every few hours, I think that my metabolism works better. :bigsmile:

Has anyone else learned anything that they would like to share? I am a little obsessed with this whole weight loss thing right now. :laugh:

Replies

• its time for change
    Options
    I thought that it might be helpful and keep us inspired if we were to write out a few things that we learned from our new lifestyle change. I am so siked about this that I just gushed to my herb lady, wait til I get to the chiropractor, lol.

I learned that 8 cups of coffee a day are not my friend. I was probably drinking over 1,000 calories a day in flavored creamer. I was constantly tired and in a short time span, I started looking much older than my age. My face was getting blochy and starting to break out. My under eyes were darker and I was gaining weight!! I have been told time and time again that one cup of coffee depletes your body of 3 cups of water. I was probably dehydrated.

I am more willing to take my kids vitamins than my own. I take two in the AM, 2 in the PM. I feel good and I don't feel run down.

Rice cakes are my new best friend. They are not as dry as popcorn and they must fill me up because I did not finish my dinner last night even though I had been starving before I ate them.

My children are sad little eaters. All they want is junk and I used to hand it out willingly. Now because I am trying to do what is right, I can expect them to do the same without being hypocritical. Last night we had grilled chicken salads and EVERYONES salad dressing got measured out and they got told how many calories were in that dressing. I want my kids to understand more about nutrition than I do at a younger age. Does anyone have any ideas on how to share what a calorie is to a child without confusing them and without turning them aneroxic?? I've tried but I don't think that it is too clear.

Making a cup of strong herbal tea and diluting it with seltzer water tastes like a healthy soda without all the sugar.

When I want bubbly, I have seltzer.

Good Earth makes a red tea that it called Sweet and Spicy Red tea. It is awesome and naturally sweetened by the cinnamon. I don't even desire to put any in.

If I preinput my meals for the day instead of just trying to wing it, I am able to adjust my menu so that I can eat more foods that are lower in calories meaning more food!!!

I TBSP of nonfat plain yogurt can be used in place of sour cream. It can also be added to a salad and mixed in to make it creamer without having to use more dressing. There are only 5 calories per TBSP.

If I eat every few hours, I think that my metabolism works better. :bigsmile:

Has anyone else learned anything that they would like to share? I am a little obsessed with this whole weight loss thing right now. :laugh:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Great idea
    I learned that it really doesn't have to be all or nothing
    In the past when i would try to loose weight I was very strict (not so much with calories, but not a single morsel of 'junk' food could pass my lips)
    If I messed up on a b-day or Holiday...it was free for all time and I could never get back on track
    In the several weeks that I've been on this site and I've lost approx 13 pounds...I've had 2-3 occasions where I went of course (just a little, didn't take it to the extreme just because I could)..the next day I was back on track :)

Kim
  • TinaM
    TinaM Posts: 13
    Options
    About the teaching calories to kids thing...I have an 11-year old daughter and I have explained that calories are simply energy, and different foods have different amounts. Your body needs energy to function, grow, etc., and when you are active you burn energy so you need to eat more. When you consume more than you use up, your body stores it away. I personally think the whole thing is totally fantastic, how the body works, and I try to impart that to my kids. I am hoping that if they see their bodies as wonderful systems or "machines" 9whatever metaphor works), they will be more likely to make good choices, and less likely to get into the "starving to be thin" mentality.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...
    I learned that I can't do it my way and be succesful so back to a plan.
    I am stronger than last time my husband and I took the kids bowling! lol
    That a runner's high from beating a previous personal record can leave you really sore the next day, but I guess its a "good" sore! Let's just say the second story of my home wont see me much today :laugh:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I feel like I've learned a whole lot this week :happy:
    1. I didn't used to keep commitments to myself. I would commit to "getting healthier" and the next a.m. break it, or the next day. The longest I maintained a lifestyle change was 2 weeks. I've been working on this, this time, since Dec 28. I've learned it's o.k. not to be perfect at it, but to keep going anyway. I'm also on Day 6 of my commitment not to use artificial sweetener for 1 week - I wanted to give up, but didn't! I am learning that my commitments to myself and for my health are more important than other commitments.

2. I learned that I can go out to a restaurant and order healthy and it can still taste great!! Applebees Cajun Lime Tialpia is awesome and 310 cals, including broccoli and rice pilaf and black bean and corn salsa. Good stuff!!

3. I've learned I can exercise with my hubby in the same room and not die of embarrasment :blushing:

4. I've learned that I can live without artificial sweetener :bigsmile: Was very tough for 3 - 4 days, but now I don't hardly miss it.

5. I've learned that I can choose to be healthy. I can turn down fries from McDonalds - or only eat a few and not the whole bag!!

This is so cool!! I am totally jazzed up. :bigsmile: We are doing so much good for our bodies, our minds and our families!! We rock!
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options

That is my biggest lesson I have learnt, I really benefit from planning ahead then I can knock off the extra calories if I find I have taken something extra in the middle of the day.
  • babyhippo
    Options
    The biggest thing I learned was....drinking all this water has paid off! :drinker:

Usually people know "what time of the month it is" just by looking at my face. I usually have a volcanic size zit that is screaming, "Hey she's having her period"
    But....I just finished and NOT ONE ZIT!

Water is awesome!....My skin has never ever looked so good!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I have learned not to use the word "Diet". When I use the word "Diet" I always fail because I feel like I am depriving myself of something.

Using the term "lifestyle change" is more accurate because I have to do this for the rest of my life but I don't deprive myself of anything. I have learned that moderation is key.

I have learned I am not alone and that there are a lot of people that struggle just like I do.

Memaw
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I learned that teenage boys are a pain in the butt.
    Mine is 13 today, and he woke up a pain in the butt.

I learned over the last 17 days, that the different types of foods make or break you. Example-we eat things and find ourselves tired, bloated.....I have found that by taking out the glutens, dairy and eggs, and using fresh, multi grain, sprouted, flaxseed, lots of color, lots of fruits...the energy level inceases so much. Slowly adding the glutens, dairy and eggs back into the diet slowly tells your body what it likes and doesn't. I hope that make sense.

Quinos with black beans, corn, red onion and cilantro is awesome.
    Green tea with sliced oranges, limes and lemons. Fantastic-hot or cold.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I learned that I have to do WW again as well as this site to get me on track. I also learned that there are SO MANY great people on this site who have SO much to offer...thanks to all of you!:flowerforyou:

dd
  • rhondababy
    Options
    Yeah- this is a good idea!
    I've had a hard time since I joined (Jan.7). I started off great, but kept slipping, and then had a lot of trouble getting back on track. I've not been able to track my food consistently or exercise regularly for more than 5-10 days at a time. This results are- 2 lbs lost, 2 lbs gained!
    Last week I decided to just do something that added to my health every day. Some days it may be as little as NOT having a big bowl of cereal at 10:00 at night, while other days it may mean a great work-out, AND having a great food day. Yesterday I really felt much better. I didn't have time for the gym, but did squeeze a brisk 30 min. walk in.
    I think I will try the pre-planning for the meals!
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I was using my back problems as an excuse to not workout and eat like crap.

I've learned that working out and eating right actually helps my back feel a little better (for the moment) lol.

I've learned that even when I do go off track, I can get back the next day and it's no big deal.

I've learned that I love water and it's not that hard to drink 8 glasses a day. (I've also learned to run to the bathroom! :laugh: )

I've learned that when I work out, I have soooo much more energy to clean or go out and enjoy a nice walk...basically to get off my butt!

I've learned that I can stop eating around 7pm

I've learned that even if the scale says I haven't lost any weight, I've still lost inches. I can tell by the way my clothes fit :happy:

I've learned that I love eating 6 small meals a day. I'm always eating, yet I'm losing!

Thanks for this post! Great idea!

:heart: Kels
  • alaskagal
    Options
    Great thread!

I've learned that the number on the scale isn't the ONLY predictor of success.

I've learned that oranges (or other fruit) can be considered dessert.

I've learned this journey is so much easier with a supportive group to help out.

Thanks to all!

:flowerforyou:
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Awesome. I don't have kids so I really don't know what to say. I know what I'm doing for my husband tho. When I shop, it takes me forever now, because I read the labels. I suppose as time goes on, I will improve with this because I will know which brands to buy.

I make my food as I like it. Then when it comes to hubby who is not very overweight and not as dedicated as I am, he fixes his meal as he wants it. Maybe after watching me, he will see the light and begin to eat better.

I'm learning that there is a huge variety of really good foods out there. I'm dealing with my binge eating. My choices to binge with are better than they were a few days ago. I'm only 2 days into my diet...I went over yesterday, but was told that would be normal (300 calories over).

I'm dicovering how good the better foods taste....I'm still experimenting with things...like this morning was the 1st time I have ever tried splenda...and I used it in my coffee. It's different, but doable.

And most importantly, I'm learning how wonderful this website it! It's amazing! I'm so glad someone showed it to me! I feel as if my success is possible!

Thank you everyone! :smile:
  • its time for change
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has replied. My spirits are lifted even higher. I almost feel like crying, lol. I must have PMS. :blushing:

It is great to hear what you have learned this week. When reading some of the posts, my mind said YES I learned that too!!

It is so nice that I have people to not be alone while I am trying to walk down a path that I have not taken very long or very far. I do want to change my life and I no longer just want to lose weight. I want to be healthy, not just thin. Thank you, thank you to all!! :heart: :heart:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I've learned :

I have a highly addictive personality and will overdo everything if given free reign.

Having a minus in net calories does not mean more weight loss.

Weighing once a month is probably not a good idea in the beginning, every two weeks maybe.

I need insurance and a check up.

Success is measured in many ways, and one of them is baby steps.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I CAN do more than 15 minutes of Turbo Jam without taking breaks and feel awesome!

I've learned that maintaining my weight is easier than I thought... as long as I do what has to be done.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Ya know...this is kinda funny actually...I was watching a kid play with his Wii (a very interactive game system). He was up there swinging and making all kinds of moves...I was like...wait a minute...what an awesome way to loose weight....fun at the same time. There is a game system that incorporates dance moves with the game. I know a co-worker who lost a lot of weight and got very fit on it. I wish I could remember the name of it. I think I would invest in it..... :heart:
  • its time for change
    Options
    I learned something new last night. While I was cooking dinner last night, I started doing leg lifts, lunges, twists, running in place, between stirring and watching the food. My kitchen/dining area being the hub of the home put me next to my kids. They joined in while I was working out and the activity just went uphill. And I kind of felt it this morning

So this morning, while I was filling my drinking glass from our water cooler (it takes forever, big cup) I started doing leg lifts again. After the water was filled I continued and moved on to different exercises. The phone rang and I put the caller on speaker while I worked out my arms, lol.

Then my body just felt all nice and tingly and I wanted to do it again.

I've learned the any idle time that I have even just 5 minutes here and there can be used to move!!

Now, I just have to see if those minutes will benefit my appearance any, lol. :wink:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Most important thing I learned is that I can do this!
    No one is stopping me but me so I decided to get back out of my way and get serious about weight loss and getting healthy again and I feel great this week. I have had awesome workouts, ate well and drank a lake and I know it will pay off in the long run!